• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Couldn't Open The Tool Drawer

I bought two of these HF tool chests back when they were $119 minus the 20% coupon for each. This morning I was cleaning up some in my shop and I went to open a drawer. It opened about 4 inches and then stopped. It was a drawer that I usually keep very orderly. Stuck my fingers in there and couldn't feel a tool jamming anything. Odd. Looked again with a light and saw a flat bag stuck to the top of the above drawer. It was hitting a taller box in the back of the drawer I was trying to open.

I grabbed a pair of long needle nosed pliers, got a good hold and pulled out a pack of magnets! I placed them on top of a box in the drawer with space to spare of the opening - and when it closed it jumped up and attached itself to the bottom of the above frame/panel!

I am well aware of tools getting jammed when not orderly, but this is the first time for magnets on the top for me. It was a flat pack of 5 of Rockler's.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

This might be the biggest argument for making frameless cabinets. My wife jams so much stuff into the kitchen cabinet drawers I made. At least once a week, I'm contorting my hand in there to free a pair of tongs or something before something gives.

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

Has anyone figured out a way to remove a drawer from those HF cabinets? I too have the 11-drawer HF cabinets; the black, wrinkle finish ones. I've go one cabinet where there is a slight bend in the edge of the frame which could be easily fixed, if I could remove the drawer there, and get a clamp in there to straighten the edge.

I do like these drawer units, but noticed a couple of months ago that they've changed the design, now having only eight drawers in a two-piece set instead of the older three-piece.

Funny about the magnets, one would only hope that any magnets in a steel drawer would have stuck to the bottom.

Jamming too much into a drawer seems to be the norm in our kitchen. Fortunately I haven't had to clear more than a couple of jams, but we do have some conversations about why we need to do that.... which usually puts me in a jam!

CWS
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2007
        • Buena Park, CA
        • CM 21829

Hank, this made me chuckle. Why I now stick all my magnets to the outside sides of my tool cabinet.
        Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

I suppose for magnets, it you actually stick them to the bottom of the drawer they will stay put.
          But, leave them on top of other stuff, like the rubber tool protecting mats, the grasp of the drawer is less. Let the magnets float on top of a bunch of non-magnetic items and they will suck right up to the top of the drawer above!
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-30-2017, 10:58 AM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            I suppose for magnets, it you actually stick them to the bottom of the drawer they will stay put.
            But, leave them on to of other stuff, like the rubber tool protecting mats, the grasp of the drawer is less. Let the magnets float on top of a bunch of non-magnetic items and they will suck right up to the top of the drawer above!
            That is exactly what happened! Sometimes you just don't realize (or think) how such a little thing can create havoc.
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
              LCHIEN commented
              Editing a comment
              So the moral of the story is stick the magnets to the bottom of the drawer, below everything else. Then they won't be going anywhere.
          Working...