X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jim-Iowa
    • Mar 2005
    • Colfax, Iowa, USA.

Sorry more air cleaner questions??

Talked to my brother-in-law who has a salvage agreement with several plumbers and hvac contractors in our area.
    He gave me a nice blower measuring 20" high overall, 12" wide & 22" long. It has a 1/6 hp motor mounted on the outside and belt driven.
    I can build a box to house it and was thinking to size it to 16"X25" filters since they are common.
    Now how many filters do you guys use or reccomend?

I was thinking 2 or 3 on inlet & 1 on outlet?
    Sanity is just a one trick pony. Being a bit Crazy is a wide open field of opportunity!
  • maxparot
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
    • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

You don't need filters on both sides just intake. Depending on the filtering capacity of the filter you may not need more than one at a time. Just keep a box around to change out dirty filters. The prior owner of my home put a filter system permanantly in the ceiling of my shop. The only problem is it vents to the outside so I may have to modify it and add a deverter and defuser to dump back into the shop. The filter size is 16x30 and so far I have filtrete filters. I'm thinking about switching to an electrostatic filter that can be cleaned.
    Opinions are like gas;
    I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• monte
      Forum Windbag
      • Dec 2002
      • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
      • GI 50-185M

No need for filters on the discharge at all. I use 16X25 filers on mine. I stack 2 of them (one standard type and one paper type) with the paper one beng closest to the blower. the outer filter catches the most and requires changing more often and the paper one gets the real fine dust.
      Monte (another darksider)
      Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

• Jim-Iowa
        • Mar 2005
        • Colfax, Iowa, USA.

Ok no filtrs on outlet.
        I have 3/4 ply on hand, any reason the box can`t be put together with pocket screws?
        I may put it on casters for a while to test before I hang it from the ceiling.My ceiling is insulated at 8FT so have not figured out where hanging a box down 25" would not be inconvienent?

Max: since you are in AZ. venting outside may not present a problem.
        Unless your shop is air conditioned?
        Here in Iowa I would not want to dump all my heat by changing the air and dumping it outside in winter.
        Sanity is just a one trick pony. Being a bit Crazy is a wide open field of opportunity!

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

you should probably put two filters on the inlet, and no outlet filters.

THe first inlet filter should be a real sheap disposable filter and the second filter should be a more expensive filter, either reusable/washable or disposable filter haveing certified small particle (down to 1 micron or so) filtering capability. The first filter should make the second filter last a whole lot longer.

You might think about running a test and then inspecting the dust trails inside and sealing the leaks where it get past the filter since leaks drastically reduce the effectivity.

Having an outlet filter should not be necessary and undesirable if you build it right.

My Delta air 800 cfm cleaner uses two inlet filters, the first is a standard A/C-furnace filter and the second is a felt filter that is deeply pocketd to increase the filtering area. Off hand I think its like 8" x 24"? Maybe 12" x 24"?

I liked the ad they had: "Our tools just sit around and collect dust."
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• maxparot
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
            • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

quote:Originally posted by Jim-Iowa
            Max: since you are in AZ. venting outside may not present a problem.
            Unless your shop is air conditioned?
            Here in Iowa I would not want to dump all my heat by changing the air and dumping it outside in winter.
            This time of year the filter does nothing I have the overhead door open with the evap cooler and fans on. With the DC and plenty of outside air there is no need to run the filter. (there is a 10-15 degree difference inside to out with the doors open this way) In another few weeks the temperature may rise enough to close the door and then I'd want to keep the outside air (pressure builds up) restricted to just enough for the cooler to work properly. Further along I do change over to the AC. With either the cooler on with door shut or the AC on recirculating the filter air instead of dumping it outside would help. Then there are a few mornings out here that heat is used also.
            Opinions are like gas;
            I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• Tom Miller
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2003
              • Twin Cities, MN
              • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Jim,

Have you considered making a downdraft table with that blower? You could still use it as an air cleaner, with the added advantage of a sanding table when you need it. That would solve your dilemma about where to hang an air cleaner. Lots of plans out there for downdraft tables.

Regards,
              Tom

Comment

• Jim-Iowa
                • Mar 2005
                • Colfax, Iowa, USA.

quote:Originally posted by Tom Miller

Jim,

Have you considered making a downdraft table with that blower? You could still use it as an air cleaner, with the added advantage of a sanding table when you need it. That would solve your dilemma about where to hang an air cleaner. Lots of plans out there for downdraft tables.

Regards,
                Tom
                No I Had not, but it is a good idea. Will think on it for a bit.
                I think I may put it in a box on casters to start with. would not be out much in the meantime. once I get my workbench finished it would be a good idea.

Comment

• Jim-Iowa
                  • Mar 2005
                  • Colfax, Iowa, USA.

Tom I got to take that back! Building that blower into a downdraft Table is not a good idea. It`s a great Idea!!
                  When I got to thinking about it one thing I need as bad as an airfilter is an outfeed table. No reason this thing could not do double duty?

An inventory of materials on hand, shows I will only need a few hardware items so I am starting on it tonight.

And I learned that drilling masonite pegboard out to 3/8 dia holes makes fuzzy holes. I did discover however countersinking before drillin helps a lot.

Comment

• mahfuz
                    Established Member
                    • Sep 2003
                    • Tyler, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000

Tom I got to take that back! Building that blower into a downdraft Table is not a good idea. It`s a great Idea!!
                    When I got to thinking about it one thing I need as bad as an airfilter is an outfeed table. No reason this thing could not do double duty?
                    Jim,
                    Would be interested in what you come up with finally. Take lost of pictures if possible.
                    Mahfuz in Tyler, TX

Comment

• Jim-Iowa
                      • Mar 2005
                      • Colfax, Iowa, USA.

Mahfuz: Unfortunately, at this point I do not have a digital camera.
                      Tool purchases have taken precedence, to this point.
                      My intention is to build a simple box(3/4" ply based on the fact I have it on hand) to house the blower.
                      I will make an access door on the belt side of the box for access to maintain, motor & blower. It will have to be sealed with felt weather stripping(need to seal so all intake runs through filters). The blower has an overlarge and ugly housing mount on it secured with machine screws. I will take that off and replace it with aluminum angle and put flat aluminum barstock on the outlet side of the box spaced off with washers(so the blower can be slid into place). Previous owner of my home, was a tile setter, and left about six sheets of metal lath in the attic of my garage,I will put that over the outlet of the blower, so no varmint can crawl up into the blower.
                      Need to get casters, first so I can determine height from the ground up. I want to make it the same height as my BT3100 so I can use it as an outfeed table too. Top will be 24"X48, determined by the fact I have 4 quarter sheets of 1/4" pegboard on hand. I countersunk all holes, drilled them out to 3/8" and countersunk again last night. Dimentions are unclear, untill I get the filters(I should be able to lay two 24X24 side by side). I will build the top and banding to fit.
                      Details will have to be worked out as I go along? Am working with as much material as possible on hand. I will only have to buy some hardware to complete.
                      No plans, I`ll just have to wing it.

Comment

• Tom Miller
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2003
                        • Twin Cities, MN
                        • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

An inventory of materials on hand, shows I will only need a few hardware items so I am starting on it tonight.

And I learned that drilling masonite pegboard out to 3/8 dia holes makes fuzzy holes. I did discover however countersinking before drillin helps a lot.
                        That sounds like the perfect setup -- I wish I had the shop space (oh, and the blower!).

I did make a little downdraft box (2'x4' and ~5" tall) that I put on my workbench. It sounds like we went through the same exercise drilling out the holes to 3/8". That's a lot of holes!

Don't forget to show us how it turns out.

Regards,
                        Tom

Comment

• Jim-Iowa
                          • Mar 2005
                          • Colfax, Iowa, USA.

Yes, in my case space will not be a problem, once I get the garage cleaned up and reorganized. My Garage is 28X30 and a 1 1/2 stories high with the attic boxed in. I will still have to keep everything on wheels and lined up along the wall so I can get at least one vehicle in. My biggest problem is time. I work 4 10hr days on one job and two 8 hr days on another. That gives me from about 7 pm-10pm week nights(with time out for dinner) and Sunday afternoons to play in the shop. But slowly I will get things all together!

On the holes, if I was not too fuzzy when I counted last night I think it was 868 holes by leaving the perimiter at 1/4"?

Comment

• fin1exp
                            Established Member
                            • Mar 2004

Just curious, What is the purpose of drilling out the holes? It seems that for dust, the peg board holes would be large enough. Also, I might have missed it, but how are you going to support the peg board so that you can place heavy items on top.
                            I ask because I am looking to do something similiar.
                            Thanks,
                            Eric

Comment

• Jim-Iowa
                              • Mar 2005
                              • Colfax, Iowa, USA.

The primary reason I drilled the holes out is to get more airflow.
                              In doing research on downdraft tables, I notices was some experienced whistling with 1/4" holes.
                              As for the question of suporting the perforated board, I am still working on that. When I went looking for filters, the best option I could find constantly on the shelf at Walmart I work two days a week in the hardware department. I could buy 4 20 X 16 filters for just over $4.00. So while I intend to use a 24"X48" top the filter box will drop to 20" wide. 3 X16 = 48 so that will work fine.
                              I may build a frame like a frame & panel door using the Perf Board as the panel to drop into the box.
                              Or if needed I could put braces under the top narrow like guitar braces?

I finished my workbench top tonight and took a load of stuff to the dump today. So should be able to get to the sheet goods and get started. I went to Harbor Freightin Des Moines yesterday and picked up Casters, which was my first order of business.
                              So should get started later this week.
                              Hope this helps? Will let you know what I come up with.

Comment

Working...