• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WoodRook
    Established Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Endicott, NY, USA.

Outlet Height

I am adding some new 20A circuits to my "in-progress" shop. The old outlets in there (15A) are at waist height. I am planning to put the new outlets at the same height but was wondering if there is any advantage to putting them closer to the floor.

I assume most power tools have a sufficiently long power cord to be able to reach an outlet 3.5' feet off the floor...... (but I guess it may need to be closer to the wall than if the outlet was lower).

Thanks.
    WoodRook
  • Tom Miller
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Twin Cities, MN
    • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Actually, in a shop situation, I'd recommend higher. If you put the bottom of the box at about 49", then a 4x8 sheet of plywood leaning against the wall will still leave the outlet accessible. I picked that little gem up from someone else here.

Regards,
    Tom

Comment

• Brian G
      • Jun 2003
      • Bloomington, Minnesota.
      • G0899

I'm tall, and I don't like bending over, so I put most of mine at 48". I also put a few at 54" along a "probably will sometimes lean sheetgoods against it" wall so that the sheets wouldn't cover them. I also put some overhead so that I can use stuff like routers without having to worry about the cord getting in the way.

Then add more outlets than you think you will need. Outlets and wire are cheap.

{edit}I type too slow. . . and I got the tip from the same guy. . .{/edit}
      Brian

Comment

• mater
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • SC, USA.

quote:Originally posted by Tom Miller

Actually, in a shop situation, I'd recommend higher. If you put the bottom of the box at about 49", then a 4x8 sheet of plywood leaning against the wall will still leave the outlet accessible. I picked that little gem up from someone else here.

Regards,
        Tom
        That is a good idea Tom. I am always reaching around or over something to get to mine.
        Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• Hoover
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2003
          • USA.

I guess I'm different. I put mine @ 42", in case I want to put overhead cabinets in at some point, there would be no interference. Also most work benches are 34 to 36 inches high, and 42" was a good compromise. There are arguments to be made for all heights.
          No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• newbie2wood
            Established Member
            • Apr 2004
            • NJ, USA.

If you plan to put the outlet near the floor, check with your township regarding code requirements. Outlets generally must be a certain height from the floor and from counter tops.
            ________
            2SexyAngels
            Last edited by newbie2wood; 09-15-2011, 04:20 AM.

Comment

• WoodRook
              Established Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Endicott, NY, USA.

Thanks for all the input fellas!
              WoodRook

Comment

• LarryG
                The Full Monte
                • May 2004
                • Off The Back
                • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Coming into this movie a little late ... as Hoover says, you can make arguments for (and for that matter, against) virtually any height.

One safety-related point that I don't think has been mentioned: it's always good policy to unplug a tool any time you're doing anything that could put you in harm's way. The higher an outlet is on a wall, the easier it is to get to when unplugging/replugging the cord, or to glance at to confirm that you did, in fact, remember to unplug it.

Another drawback of outlets at the 14"-16" AFF height commonly seen in residences is that if you're working on a bench or table that's three feet or so high, you immediately lose about two feet of cord length just getting from the outlet up to where you're working.
                Larry

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

48"??
                  well, you can still operatre your power tools when your shop is flooded 4' deep.[8D]
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• andrew.r.w
                    Established Member
                    • Sep 2003
                    • Canada.

I installed mine to be between the bench top and the cabinets. None of the ones near the floor were accessible at all, so I moved them. Much handier. I didn't check the code. Maybe I'm in trouble.

Andrew

Comment

• JimD
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2003
                      • Lexington, SC.

I put some of mine low like "normal" household outlets and some above counter height. I didn't think a lot about it but a low outlet does get the cord out of the way. It also makes it harder to plug and unplug but for many of my tools, they stay plugged in the vast majority of the time.

Jim

Comment

Working...