X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • final_t
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003

In search of storage/organazation ideas

I'm trying to re-organize the disaster I call a shop (cough, garage), and stumped on storage and organaztion of the smaller wood parts and sheet goods, among other things (not fully sure I've got even a decent start on this, other than forcing myself to toss some of the natty salvaged wood from over the years).
    Anyone got any ideas and maybe pics they're willing to share?
  • jethro
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2003
    • Newark, DE, USA.

t, maybe we should form a support group for woodworkers with messy shops. Rod Kirby need not apply. [:I]

I do have one idea for you, though:

This is my shop from MUCH cleaner days. In the rear corner is a sheet goods storage rack made from 2x8s and one sheet of 3/4" plywood. The sheet is cut diagonally to form the two sides of the rack, and 2x8s form the bottom and end. The end is hinged (see hinges next to the door frame) to a vertical "ledger" along the wall, and there are two casters (one visible) supporting the bottom, so it can swing out for easier access, and to get to the ladders I have stored behind it. It works great! The only thing I would change is to use heavier-duty casters. I have 3" borg economy jobs on it, and they're taxed to their limit.

I hope this helps. [Note that I will NOT show a picture of the current condition of my <s>garage</s> shop. ]

--------------------
    jethro.
    <font size=\"1\">Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig. -- <i>Heinlein</i>
    http://www.jeffriegner.com</font id=\"size1\">

Comment

• PeteFohl
      Forum Newbie
      • Dec 2004
      • Solvang, Ca, USA.

quote:Originally posted by jethro

maybe we should form a support group for woodworkers with messy shops. Rod Kirby need not apply. [:I]
      Are you kidding? Doesn't a support group need a counselor?
      Nothing is obvious to the uninformed.

Comment

• Sam Conder
        Woodworker Once More
        • Dec 2002
        • Midway, KY
        • Delta 36-725T2

Uuum, Jeff... That piece of yellow rope at the bottom of the pic. If it tied to a block of wood with nails sticking out of it? Are you maling your own morningstar?
        Sam Conder
        BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• WayneJ
          • Jan 2004
          • Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA.

The latest issue of "Wood" magazine has a plan for a wood storage rack. Looks like a neat idea, i'm thinking about it for myself.

Wayne
          Wayne J

Comment

• tropicaffair
            Forum Newbie
            • Dec 2003
            • Gloucester, MA, USA.

Jethro,

Nice idea on the sheet goods rack. I framed in a rack along a section of my wall but it's pretty cumbersome to dig everything out when looking to see what I have. I like the swing out option - I saw a plan a while ago that incorporated a CMS station on the sheet goods rack. If I ever figure out which design options to incorporate I'll post some pics. BTW, my shop measures 28 feet long by 7.5 feet wide - it's a salvaged jobsite office trailer with a roll up door at one end. It has turned into the never ending project.
            Russell

Comment

• final_t
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2003

quote:Originally posted by WayneJ

The latest issue of "Wood" magazine has a plan for a wood storage rack. Looks like a neat idea, i'm thinking about it for myself.

Wayne
              The one mounted on a furnature dolly?

Comment

• jethro
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2003
                • Newark, DE, USA.

quote:Originally posted by Sam Conder

Uuum, Jeff... That piece of yellow rope at the bottom of the pic. If it tied to a block of wood with nails sticking out of it? Are you maling your own morningstar?
                Sam, that's a halogen work light with cord. Some creative thinking there, bud. [)]

Though I'll bet the work light would hurt if swung by the cord....

--------------------
                jethro.
                <font size=\"1\">Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig. -- <i>Heinlein</i>
                http://www.jeffriegner.com</font id=\"size1\">

Comment

• Pappy
                  The Full Monte
                  • Dec 2002
                  • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 (x2)

August Home Publ (Woodsmith/Shopnotes) has a supliment out called "The Complete Small Shop". I didn't see any sheet goods storage in this one, but a lot of other good ideas for storage.
                  Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                  Fools because they have to say something.
                  Plato

Comment

• WayneJ
                    • Jan 2004
                    • Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA.

Final t,
                    Their are two of them, one on pg 40 & one onpg 92. I lioke the one by Paul Anthony I guess you could put casters on it if you want.
                    The magazine that Pappy spoke of is also a good idea.
                    Wayne
                    Wayne J

Comment

• final_t
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2003

quote:Originally posted by WayneJ

Final t,
                      Their are two of them, one on pg 40 & one onpg 92. I lioke the one by Paul Anthony I guess you could put casters on it if you want.
                      The magazine that Pappy spoke of is also a good idea.
                      Wayne
                      We're not talking about the same issue then. The most current one I have is Feb/March. If the April/May issue is already out on the newsstands, I should get it tomorrow then. Unless the lousy post service here ate it again.

Comment

Working...