• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dani D.
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2003
    • Magnolia, Delaware, USA.

Steel buildings

I'm considering purchase a pre-frab. steel building, and I was wondering if anybody have one of these and what their experiences are.
    Thanks
    lo bueno, si breve, dos veces bueno
  • GeekMom
    • Dec 2004
    • Bonney Lake, WA.
    • Shopsmith Mark V

Are you thinking shed-size? We set one up (6' x 8') in Houston on a cement slab. Had to sand and re-paint the roof after 2 years because of the rust. After 8 years it looked like garbage. Lawn mowers and weed-eaters can do a real number on it. Dented easily and rusted quickly. May have just been the (lack of) quality as we didn't get the most expensive, but I expected better wear than we got. YMMV, though.
    Karen
    <><

Comment

• lrogers
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Mobile, AL. USA.
      • BT3000

My current shop is a steel building, 12'x15'. This was not the type you get at Sears or Home Depot/Lowes. The frame was galvanized "c" channel and the steel panels were heavy gauge with baked on finish. The building was fairly straight forward o assemble and has held up very well. I added 2"x4" framing in side so I could install finished & insulated walls. The building came with a double insulated door. The only real complaint I have with it is low ceiling height (7'). As a note of interest, this building suffered NO damage during hurricane Ivan.
      Larry R. Rogers
      The Samurai Wood Butcher
      http://splash54.multiply.com
      http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• gmack5
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Quapaw, Oklahoma, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000SX & BT3100

There are a lot of steel buildings in the area where I now live, I think primarily because they are Termite proof and there is a tremendous concern, locally, about Termite Problems.

I don't remember having to submit a certificate of compliance with respect to Termite Precautions when I sold 3 different homes while living in the Chicago area, but all property sold in this area must have such a certificate before the property can be sold.

Stop thinking why you can't and Start thinking how you CAN!
        Remember, SUCCESS comes in CANS!
        George

Comment

• dave40261
          Established Member
          • Feb 2003
          • Springfield, MO, USA.

Same rules apply as with anything else. You get what you pay for. If you use a good quality building like Larry mentioned above, they are fine. You will end up putting up some kind of wood inside at some point, just so you can attach stuff to it.

Oh, and the plastic covered insulation systems they offer with them are very easy to tear up/can hold moisture/get dirty and are hard to clean... etc.

my $.02
          After careful scrutiny of the quality of fellow members signature line comments, I have determined that it would be in my best interest to abstain from further attempts at wit.

Comment

• ExYankee
            Established Member
            • Mar 2005
            • Pleasant View, Tn.
            • BT3100-frankensaw

I have an non-insulated steel roof and my 16x24 shop and the other day it REALLY rained here in Tennessee and the roar of the rain on the roof was deafening, I had to grab my muffs just to be able to think.
            John Dyer
            ExYankee Workshop...

I think history would have been very much different if Leonardi DiVinci had a belt sander.

Comment

• Jim Boyd
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
              • Delta Unisaw

quote:Originally posted by ExYankee

I have an non-insulated steel roof and my 16x24 shop and the other day it REALLY rained here in Tennessee and the roar of the rain on the roof was deafening, I had to grab my muffs just to be able to think.
              My 30x30 pole barn was like that until I insulated it. Pretty much made it sound proof!
              Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

Comment

• n4yyn
                Forum Newbie
                • Dec 2002
                • Pageland, SC, USA.

I just had a steel shop building put up late last year with an insulated roof. It's not real noisy in the rain and the only problem I have is with condensation. I had some skylights put in - actually transluscent roof panels - which of course don't have insulation. On those panels, when the bldg is cold and it's pretty humid, as the building warms up - from sun or heater - the moisture condenses to the point where a couple times it actually seemed like rain!! I'm going to try plastic on them to see if a 'vapor barrier' helps. So if you're planning a bldg with skylights, ask the builder about condensation problems beforehand... Other than that - it's great - skylights especially (don't need lights at all during the day)!
                Paul
                Amateur Radio call N4YYN
                Pageland, SC

Comment

• DUD
                  Royal Jester
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

I have priced steel buildings for about a year and a half. If I had bought one then it would have been great. However with the price of steel They have gone out of site. Bill
                  5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.

Comment

Working...