• Show
Clear All
  • PartTimeHack
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2015
    • TN
    • Ryobi BT3000

Another quick question

As I mentioned, I am relatively new to woodworking so I plan on asking a lot of questions.

I find that I (or the saw) am struggling to rip 3/4" mdf on a 45 degree bevel without burning it.

Is this normally from the scrap not being able to pull away and getting somewhat wedged beneath the blade or do I just need a sharper blade?

Thanks.
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

A dull (or dirty) blade could cause this, or other factors to check including alignment of your rip fence to the blade, type of wood and feed rate.
    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• JSUPreston
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • Montgomery, AL.
      • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

I can think of several things that may be coming into play.

1. How sharp is the blade? Carbide teeth or plain steel?
      2. What table saw are you using? Horsepower rating of the motor? 120 or 240V?
      3. Is the fence absolutely parallel to the blade? Some prefer the back of the fence to be about 1/64th off of parallel to help keep offcuts from getting trapped.
      4. How far above the material do you have the blade?
      5. Is the blade a regular or thin kerf blade?

Just some quick things that may help us narrow down the problem.
      "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• PartTimeHack
        Forum Newbie
        • Mar 2015
        • TN
        • Ryobi BT3000

1) It is a carbide blade, but old. Probably the original stock blade.
        2) BT3000
        3) I'll have to check for parallel. I thought it was pretty good.
        4) The blade is only slightly (1/16th or so) maybe above the blade
        5) I don't remember.

Thanks.

Comment

• Black wallnut
          cycling to health
          • Jan 2003
          • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
          • BT3k 1999

If you set your fence slightly away at the back of the blade and then move the fence so that the offcut falls away, IOW to the right of the blade so the blade tilts away from the fence then you will be somewhat pinching the back of your cut however this may just raise the workpiece. For bevel cuts the fence should be exactly parallel with the blade. A clean blade of the proper tooth count also helps. IIRC MDF is hard on blades.
          Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• phrog
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2005
            • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Are you using a rip blade?

If so, is it sharp?

With a sharp rip blade you should be able to feed the wood at a fairly good rate without burning. The bottom of the gullets, I've been told, should barely be visible coming out of the top of the wood being cut. That is the proper height adjustment of the blade. (That allows the dust to be disposed without being trapped between the teeth and causing heat build-up.)

What Mark said about MDF being hard on blades.

EDIT: A rip blade normally has about 24 or so teeth on a 10" blade.
            Last edited by phrog; 04-15-2015, 12:58 PM.
            Richard

Comment

• PartTimeHack
              Forum Newbie
              • Mar 2015
              • TN
              • Ryobi BT3000

The blade is carbide-tipped, 36T.

I just bought an Oldham 60T, carbide finishing blade online at HD. Maybe it will have better results. I need to go back and check alignment anyway.

The best thing I ever did for my DeWalt miter saw is outfit it with a Freud Diablo blade. That sucker cuts great.
              Last edited by PartTimeHack; 04-15-2015, 01:13 PM.

Comment

• sailor55330
                Established Member
                • Jan 2010

I wouldn't use a 60t blade for ripping. As mentioned earlier, usually less TPI (teeth per inch) is better for ripping. The 60T is more for fine cuts--such as cross cuts. Tryingt to rip with it is going to stress the saw more and possibly frustrate you more as well. Plus, as mentioned, MDF is a blade killer. If you are having the scrap edge get caught under the blade, something doesn't sound right. Maybe the riving knife is out of adjustment? It's been a long time since I've used a BTxxx, so I can't remember if the riving knife even tilts or if you have to remove it. I'd be nervous about kick-back based on what you are describing.

Good Luck.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2003
                  • Maryland
                  • Grizzly 1023SLX

I find I can get burn marks if I slow down/stop to reposition my hands when I'm pushing the stock through for a rip cut. Keeping a consistent feed rate can help eliminate that.

Comment

• PartTimeHack
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Mar 2015
                    • TN
                    • Ryobi BT3000

I removed the splitter from the anti-kickback hood, leaving just the splitter installed. It does move with the blade tilt.

(In hindsight, I should have gone with the SharkGuard.)

The reason I got the finishing blade was due to some reviews. Perhaps those reviews were by DIY'ers like myself, and not real woodworkers. ;(

UPDATE:

I tried ripping a half dozen pieces of 3/4" MDF with the blade at zero tilt, and it cuts just fine. Not quite like butter, but not too far away. I'm guessing that neither the blade nor the parallel alignment is at fault.

Do you think the difference is just that the fence is on the alternate side of the blade that I'm used to (I'm right handed) and that either clumsiness or fear is the main problem?
                    Last edited by PartTimeHack; 04-15-2015, 03:12 PM.

Comment

• Black wallnut
                      cycling to health
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                      • BT3k 1999

FWIW my saw nearly always has a 60 or 80 tooth finish blade installed. I only change out for a rip blade when I am going to be ripping more than one 8' board. For MDF a high tooth count finish blade is the one to use.
                      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• PartTimeHack
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Mar 2015
                        • TN
                        • Ryobi BT3000

Ok, I just tried it again without a hold-down on top or the side and just used my hands. I also raised the blade such that the top gullet was above the workpiece.

Interestingly, although there were a few minor burn marks due to switching position or stopping to use the push stick, it was a lot better this time around.

The saw still appears to have more trouble (probably due to a deeper relative cut) than when it was at zero degrees, but all in all it wasn't bad.

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by sailor55330
                          I wouldn't use a 60t blade for ripping. As mentioned earlier, usually less TPI (teeth per inch) is better for ripping. The 60T is more for fine cuts--such as cross cuts. Tryingt to rip with it is going to stress the saw more and possibly frustrate you more as well. Plus, as mentioned, MDF is a blade killer. If you are having the scrap edge get caught under the blade, something doesn't sound right. Maybe the riving knife is out of adjustment? It's been a long time since I've used a BTxxx, so I can't remember if the riving knife even tilts or if you have to remove it. I'd be nervous about kick-back based on what you are describing.

Good Luck.
                          When cutting MDF which is grainless, there's no such thing as ripping or crosscutting.

while you may consider cutting the short distance using the miter sled as crosscutting and the long distance using the rip fence as ripping, it really has nothing to do with the blade configuration.

Probably a 40 tooth blade or thereabouts is optimal, 36 is good.
                          A sharp blade makes a huge difference. If the saw is an old BT3 variant the 36T blade was the original and probbaly quite old as well.

Have a quarter or half inch or more of the blade above the workpiece.

For cutting on a table saw the ideal woulld be to feed quickly as the wood burns if feed slowly.

However, the feed rate must be within the ability of the saw to cut and that involves:
                          removal of material (tooth count matters, large gullet low tooth counts)
                          sharpness - dull blade won't feed quickly
                          Thickness - thicker wood you have to feed slower as its harder to cut remove twice the material. A 45 degree bevel cut makes the wood appear 40% thicker.
                          power a more powerful saw will be able to feed as quick as you want, the BT3 should easily be able to cut 3/4 MDF quickly with its power.
                          If the saw power is low, or the wood thick, or both, then the saw will audibly labor and slwo down and then it won't cut right either and burn.
                          Have to have good electricity feed - 14 Ga extension cords or noe, 15-20A outlets. or the motor will starve for power.

Usually the cuplrits for burning are too slow a feed, can't go faster because dull blade, wood too thick, power too low and motor laboring from same.
                          Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-16-2015, 12:01 AM.
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA
                          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by PartTimeHack
                            As I mentioned, I am relatively new to woodworking so I plan on asking a lot of questions.

I find that I (or the saw) am struggling to rip 3/4" mdf on a 45 degree bevel without burning it.

Is this normally from the scrap not being able to pull away and getting somewhat wedged beneath the blade or do I just need a sharper blade?

Thanks.
                            Hey I hope these aren't MDF cleats you were talking about in the other post.

MDF has no strength for this kind of thing, It will break or crumble under load!

Don't make MDF cleats, please!
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA
                            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Knottscott
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2004
                              • Rochester, NY.
                              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

At the very least clean your blade. It's probably well past time to have it sharpened too. Or you could replace it with something like a Freud Diablo or Irwin Marples 40T or 50T general purpose combo blade....that start at @ $30....it's always nice to have a spare.

FWIW, MDF is abrasive and is rough on blades....if you'll be cutting a lot of MDF, it might be worth picking up a blade with a triple chip grind (TCG), which tend to have better edge life than other grinds.

Tips for Picking Saw Blades

Bargain Saw Blades
                              Last edited by Knottscott; 04-15-2015, 05:47 PM.
                              Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Working...