• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Ask her if she would mind moving her stove or TV onto the driveway. She would probably say it is too cold, then you can say it is too cold for you to be outside woodworking and are going to move some tools into the basement to keep from freezing.
    capncarl

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by capncarl
      Ask her if she would mind moving her stove or TV onto the driveway. She would probably say it is too cold, then you can say it is too cold for you to be outside woodworking and are going to move some tools into the basement to keep from freezing.
      capncarl
      I have got to learn to do first, then ask for forgiveness. My idea was shot down the instant I mentioned "table saw". She's fine with me using the space for finishing, though, which I'm not. I've got nearly a kitchen full of drawer fronts to spray but I don't want to spray in the basement even though it's all water borne paint. She's waited this long for them, might as well wait a little longer till spring.

Welp, kids are pretty much down for their nap and I left the shop heater on, so I'm going to brave the snow--we're getting a bunch right now--and trudge the 50ft or so to my detached garage. Hopefully it's bearable now. Send the rescue dogs with an extra large cask of brandy if you don't hear from me.

Comment

• JimD
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Lexington, SC.

In the house I sold last year I had a shop in a basement garage. It has it's own driveway, the basement was a walk out. The contractor poured 9 foot basement walls and then poured the slab inside the walls. So I had over 8'6" ceiling height. It was not heated or cooled but was insulated. In SC, air conditioning is more of an issue than heat (but last night it didn't seem that way). Basements are naturally cool, however. It was fine. I had about 400 ft2 which is small but I built several bedroom sets and other furniture in that little shop.

Current shop is a work in progress. I had a contractor add a third bay on the existing 2 car including major changes to the room over. He took the room over complete through drywall but in the shop garage, only the ceiling is drywalled. The walls are bare studs. I have lights and one outlet. I will eventually wire a bunch more outlets, insulate, and put 7/16 waferboard on the walls (it's what I had in the last shop). I moved most of the tools but not benches so I need those. So lots of stuff to do. House has been getting priority.

I would prefer a basement workshop but I'm on a lake so basement wouldn't work. You can use special channel on the ceiling + insulation and wallboard to reduce sound.

I can normally use my garage shop OK despite the fact that it isn't heated or cooled just because the weather in SC is mild. Yesterday would have been brutal but today my thermostat says it's 63. I was out there a few minutes ago.

Comment

• lrr
          Established Member
          • Apr 2006
          • Fort Collins, Colorado
          • Ryobi BT-3100

Originally posted by bigstick509
          Lee, as always great idea regarding mounting tools with the dogs into the 20mm grid. Another reason to push me to get the Paulk bench started.
          Mike,

Here is the arbor press base, dropped onto my "MFT" workbench. My lathe is right next to the bench, so it is convenioent to access. I find myself doing a lot of work on this bench, even though I have a standard workbench with a T-track embedded, so I could mount it there with T-track bolts/knobs and slide it on and off. I find the tall Parf Dogs to be a really easy way to quickly secure a tool and then remove it when not in use. One dog is shown here next to the arbor press, which uses two of these dogs to hold it in place. There is another at the opposite corner (not in view).

Since this bench is right in the middle of my shop, it is a convenient place for doing so many tasks other than cutting.

If you build a Paulk bench, I hope you post pictures. I have been thinking of possibly making one swing down from a wall, and have a foldaway leg, since I don't need to take it anywhere, I just need it to be easily stored away when not in use.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by lrr; 02-21-2015, 08:12 PM.
          Lee

Comment

• JimD
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Lexington, SC.

My shop plans include a 3 foot by 6 foot workbench with a Paulk top and drawers underneath. I will push it back against the wall when it is not used so I can pull the truck in. I will rig up his crosscut jig on it for my DeWalt track saw. It will roll on 3 inch locking casters. I know what I want to do, it is mostly a matter of taking the time for shop setup.

Paulk's workbench is 4 by 8 as was my original lattice for breaking down sheetgoods. I reduced my lattice to about 3x6. I find that plenty large enough to support sheetgoods for breakdown and it is a lot easier to store. I think 3x6 will also give me a lot of drawer space so I can get organized.

Comment

• lrr
              Established Member
              • Apr 2006
              • Fort Collins, Colorado
              • Ryobi BT-3100

Originally posted by JimD
              My shop plans include a 3 foot by 6 foot workbench with a Paulk top and drawers underneath. I will push it back against the wall when it is not used so I can pull the truck in. I will rig up his crosscut jig on it for my DeWalt track saw. It will roll on 3 inch locking casters. I know what I want to do, it is mostly a matter of taking the time for shop setup.

Paulk's workbench is 4 by 8 as was my original lattice for breaking down sheetgoods. I reduced my lattice to about 3x6. I find that plenty large enough to support sheetgoods for breakdown and it is a lot easier to store. I think 3x6 will also give me a lot of drawer space so I can get organized.
              A full 4x8 was what I wanted, but just did not have room. I made mine 3x7, basically milling a foot off each dimension after milling the 20mm holes. I've found its size to be fine, and agree that a 3x6 would offer plenty of support where ease of storage is a primary consideration. Heck, the MFT to me looks tiny, but serves many users quite well.

EDIT: Update. My MFT style table is still long enough, but yesterday my shop was not long enough. I had to joint and rip a piece of maple 1X4 that was cut to a little over 11 feet. Dang, not enough room on infeed side of jointer. And not enough infeed room on table saw. By angling my jointer, and shifting the table saw/MFT outfeed table, I could run the maple thru both. Fortunately I seldom need to work on a piece of wood this long, and can usually cut down to manageable lengths. I normally have room for a little over an 8 foot piece of wood. Ahh, to have a really long shop, even if only as wide as my current shop.
              Last edited by lrr; 02-27-2015, 12:05 PM.
              Lee

Comment

Working...