• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Shop AND Man Cave?

So Bigstick's thread Shop or Man Cave and the dizzying heights of the current Powerball jackpot got my day dreaming juices flowing...

I know I have told my wife that if we ever hit that thing, we are selling our house in the 'burbs, buying land out in the sticks, she can have whatever house she wants, but I get to build a "dream barn / shop". Part woodworking shop, part auto repair / 4x4 building shop, with a man cave for a second floor, complete with bar, pool table, dart board, and since it's private property, a nice seating area on an upper deck with ashtrays for enjoying a cigar and scotch with some friends, and of course a stage / recording studio, and a mild FOH PA system (FOH = Front Of House for those not familiar with the acronym.).

Best I can pull off now is shop in the garage, very cramped music room in spare bedroom, and for the few parties we throw, deck in the back yard as a stage. (My friends and I play fairly low volume / never any annoyed neighbors of L.E.O. visits...)
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

Last time the jackpot approached a billion I had the same dreams.

There's a mansion for sale locally for $14M that would be ideal, but alas.

Funny thing is, I bought those Festool products without winning.
    Last edited by Cochese; 02-11-2015, 12:30 PM.
    I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Is anyone else allowed to enter/work in your Cave?

I will provide help to people in my shop but unless I've worked with them and trained them myself, they aren't touching my stuff.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by atgcpaul
        Is anyone else allowed to enter/work in your Cave?

I will provide help to people in my shop but unless I've worked with them and trained them myself, they aren't touching my stuff.
        I would have plenty of insurance of course so... Sure...

FWIW, and I am funny this way. Even with gobs of money, if I am spending extra to get the fancier brand name doo dad, it had darned well be compellingly better than the lower cost competitor.

For example. I seriously doubt I would buy a Kreg Jig and pitch my HF jig... The HF jig does a great job, and in many ways is a superior tool for a mess load less money...

However my little HF / Thien / Wynn rig would be sold / donated and otherwise gotten out of my shop in favor of a big Clear Vue Cyclone with 8" mains and 6" or dual 4" drops depending on the tool / workstation.

My HF bandsaw and lathe would go into the new shop. The HF mortiser, probably get replaced with a much nicer Powermatic.

The BT... Oh the BT... I love it, but I must admit, even though I hate the legal / business tactics, I would make the switch to a SawStop 5HP PCS with a sliding miter table, and of course, a Shark Guard... Lee's guards are beyond awesome...

Maybe keep the BT for doing dadoes...

Oh, I somewhat suspect I would feed a router bit habit...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...