• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Atgcpaul shop tour 2015

I had a bunch of use-or-lose vacation time to burn so I've been off since Christmas. We also switched daycares this year and this one doesn't close between Christmas and New Year's so no kids to watch either!

Needless to say I've gotten some good shop time in.

I found this post of mine from more than 5 years ago. I can't believe I used to operate like that! I've gotten better but it's a struggle.

Today I took 2 large garbage bags of scraps, etc, to the dump. I resisted the urge to pick through everything.

First a diagram. Click on it to enlarge.

Click to enlarge.

OK, the tour. My shop (detached garage) is ~19 wide x ~24 long. To the left of me is the entry door and garden tools. Behind me are the two garage doors (and whole lot more mess to clean up). I've got lots of lumber hanging on each of the two side walls. All the equipment you see (even the TS and workbench in front of it) are on mobile.

I plan on modifying the HF DC by adding a Super Dust Deputy. You can see some 3D printed reducers in the foreground (green and brown). The TS has hard plastic ducting and I want to run more of it around the shop but haven't decided on a layout. I have always wanted to make a dust shroud around the CMS and connect that to the DC.

I just setup the Rikon slow speed grinder and Delta midi-lathe yesterday. The grinder will eventually move next to the lathe. As you can see, I already didn't abide by the "No Parking" sign.

The rear bench has the CMS level with the bench surface. I bought a vintage RAS that I have been wanting to refurb and put in its place because a lot of the stock I have is fairly wide. Someday...

The Griz BS is on a long extension chord rated for the task. Nearby is a Ryobi wide belt sander. I'm planning to put that on a flip cart with a Rikon mini-lathe on the other side.

To my immediate right is a HF lift cart. I use it as an assemble station for larger pieces like chest of drawers and currently a bar. I need to get back to work on that bar. I think it will be my entry to the fair this year.

The pile of lumber behind the TS are parts for door and drawer fronts for my kitchen. Hopefully this shop cleanup will help me finish the kitchen sooner. Next to the left side lumber rack is a temporary drying rack for the painted doors and drawers.

Today my wife came in while I was cleaning and actually remarked that she could actually walk around in there.

It's better than what it was a week ago and vastly better than what it was 5 years ago, but I still aspire to be like some of the shops shared here.

Paul
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Wow! Lemme be the first to say that you have come a long way from where you were at in 2009. I like it that you have committed a plan of the garage on paper, must help with visualizing the organization.

Overall your shop looks spacious and also well lit. You seem to have a lot of lumber, at the designated walls and even elsewhere. Maybe ongoing project(s)?

I'll watch out for your progress reports. Very interesting post, thanks!
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle

Comment

• radhak
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Miramar, FL
      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Paul, what software did you draw your shop layout in?
      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
      - Aristotle

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by radhak
        . I like it that you have committed a plan of the garage on paper, must help with visualizing the organization.
        You give me too much credit! The paper layout came after the cleanup. It's just where everything ended up. . Most of the equipment moves around depending on what I'm doing.

Overall your shop looks spacious and also well lit. You seem to have a lot of lumber, at the designated walls and even elsewhere. Maybe ongoing project(s)?
        I was stepping over stuff to get to other stuff. It's actually safe to walk in here now. It does feel quite spacious again.

I used to have 4 shop lights hanging from the ceiling--2 over the TS and 2 over the rear bench. Last year I added 3 more over the TS. The red canoe is going to my parents' new house and I'll put 2 more in its place.

The reason why I have so much lumber is below. There are lots of large, wide planks so I'm mulling over ideas for a large table for my parents and a long Nakashima Windsor style bench for the porch.

This forum is for any topic that you would normally talk about at the office "around the coffee pot". Jokes, tall tales, and true stories are welcome as long as they are clean and in good taste. I only ask that you steer away from topics on religion or politics. Go ahead and pull up a chair and pour yourself a cup of coffee and enjoy the conversation.

I remember you posted some closeup picks of your workbenches maybe last year. I really wanted to get to that level of cleanliness/organization, but baby steps.

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Paul, what software did you draw your shop layout in?
          It's the Grizzly shop planner.

Grizzly Industrial, Inc. is a national retail and internet company providing a wide variety of high-quality woodworking and metalworking machinery, power tools, hand tools and accessories. By selling directly to end users we provide the best quality products at the best price to professionals and hobbyists.

I think it only shows Griz tools, though, so choice can be limited.

I looked at the Workbench shop planner, but it wouldn't let me place duplicate items.

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

Atgcpaul
            Now is the time to chunk the dust spreading filter bag on the collector and install a canister filter (Wynn Environmental type). Too many health issues caused by sanding dust to ignore the problem.
            capncarl

Comment

• atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by capncarl
              Atgcpaul
              Now is the time to chunk the dust spreading filter bag on the collector and install a canister filter (Wynn Environmental type). Too many health issues caused by sanding dust to ignore the problem.
              capncarl
              Look again

The Wynn filter has been there since day 1. The cloth filters are still in the original bag. I just can't bring myself to toss them.

Comment

• radhak
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2006
                • Miramar, FL
                • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by atgcpaul

The reason why I have so much lumber is below. There are lots of large, wide planks so I'm mulling over ideas for a large table for my parents and a long Nakashima Windsor style bench for the porch.

This forum is for any topic that you would normally talk about at the office "around the coffee pot". Jokes, tall tales, and true stories are welcome as long as they are clean and in good taste. I only ask that you steer away from topics on religion or politics. Go ahead and pull up a chair and pour yourself a cup of coffee and enjoy the conversation.
                Ooh, lemonade out of lemon! Nice doing!

Originally posted by atgcpaul

I remember you posted some closeup picks of your workbenches maybe last year. I really wanted to get to that level of cleanliness/organization, but baby steps.
                I wish that was mine! Sorry - those must be Rod Kirby's!
                I keep printed next to me the pictures from his workshop, and I also post them here to remind myself (and others) to be inspired by it.

This was his thread from many years ago.
                - Aristotle

Comment

• JR
                  The Full Monte
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Eugene, OR
                  • BT3000

Looking good!

It's interesting to see how things fit in what is essentially a standard 2-car garage space. Which is to say your tools fit just fine.

If you don't mind a suggestion for your to-do list, I'd think about plumbing for the DC. You'll never get out of the mode stepping over things if you don't.
                  JR

Comment

Working...