• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Shop attic storage

My shop has a hip style roof. As you see it, there is a 2x8 or 2x10 that runs the length of the shop left to right. Although the walls are 8' tall, that 2x beam is about 10' up in the air so my ceiling height is about 10' high. There are 2x6 joists that run front to back across that beam spaced at 24" or 16"--I can't remember. Drywall encloses the whole ceiling space and the ceiling is insulated with fiberglass batt.

I do have some ladders, an air cleaner, a canoe, and lights hanging from the joists/rafters (don't know the proper nomenclature). I do have an access hole in the ceiling.

I want to add some light OSB decking on top of the joists and use it to store excess shop junk.

What's your opinion? On some discussion boards, I read people saying, Oh, your trusses aren't designed for this/that, etc. I've had a huge tree sitting on the top of this roof at one point and it barely made a dent. Am I going to be safe doing this?

Thanks,
    Paul

• cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

I think more detail is needed:

What are the dimensions of garage and the actual dimensions of the "beam" and the "joists" that you speak of?

Also, what is the spacing used, both of the joists and the wall studs?

I take for granted that there is no center support post, so the total span of both the beam and the wall to beam joist span. Also important is whether there is any "blocking" between these joists (that would help to stiffen the joists and transfer load across them).

I'm not a civil engineer or even a framing contractor, but I've done enough to know the considerations that must be given to such a project. In fact, I'm seriously considering having a "loft" put into my garage within a few weeks, but I'm sure that a center post will be required, as the span is simply too great for a single beam and joist system.

(For example, a typical beam across a 20 ft span would probably have to be two or three 2 x 12 "tied" together, and the type of lumber used is particular... thus local building codes must be complied with. Likewise, your joists must meet requirements. I'm also under the impression that OSB is NOT a suitable flooring material... great for wall sheathing, but it will sag with any weight not distributed across the joists.

I think that what you have up there now is strictly for a "ceiling" of sorts and to tie the walls together in order to distribute any ceiling load from bowing the walls walls out, thus preventing roof sag. To assume that you can now had any serious 'load', for storage up there, would be asking for trouble. The problem of course, is that once you provide an area, it often proves to be overwhelmed.

Sorry this isn't more helpful,

CWS
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

My shop roof is about the size as yours and was constructed with "attic" trusses on 24" ctrs. giving me 8'x24' stand up attic room. They don't look any stronger than regular store bought trusses except there is an 8' opening on them. Seeing this I would not feel uncomfortable in converting regular store bought to this style in place. My mods probably would be stronger than the attic trusses.

Osb will not work, you can nearly step through it and it is heavier than plywood.

That said, modifying yours like this it will be for lightweight storage only, not a game room or workshop. Attics are nice to have but become a junk magnet for stuff that probably should have been trashed. In my climate anything left there for several years will be cooked and probably unusable anyway.
      Capncarl

Comment

Working...