Almost time to pop a cold one... Shop progress!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Almost time to pop a cold one... Shop progress!

I got tons done to the shop today, and although it's not 100% done, I can say the majority of work to the "powered wall" is completed... It is looking pretty good. Sorry about the dusty images. I managed to get drywall dust all over everything including my phone...

The 29 gallon 2HP Harbor Freight compressor never moved out of this niche, and has been used HEAVILY during the rebuild time for automotive work…

The 8 gallon 2HP Harbor Freight compressor is finally stashed back under the DC stand. I had to cut the stand down a hair / narrow it up so that it would fit in the niche with the outlet next to the tool box.. I also added spreaders to stiffen it up some…

The mechanics tool box, Harbor Freight DC, Thien separator, small compressor, and band saw rolled into place. The band saw can be rolled out to make room for bigger workpieces such as resawing…

I need to run the DC ducting still, but here is the band saw… I am actually not super happy with this 4” duct. I am thinking about installing a 2.5” duct in the lower door, and a 2.5” duct on the upper guide…

The tool stacker is installed. I need to get 2 more brackets for the sander. I probably ought to lower the entire thing about 4” so I can put the sander on the top (lightest item…). I need to give credit where credit is due, and say the idea for the tool stacker came from a fellow BT3Central member who I haven't seen online in a long time, but thanks Don Ho!

The drill press has been moved to its home. This is on a Harbor Freight mobile base. Unlike the band saw base, I am NOT happy with this one. It is bowing across the spreaders. I need to redo it..

And this is a great way to get your ladders out of the way. I need to brace this setup and double the hooks in opposite directions so that I can hang both the 6’ and 10’ ladders at the same time…

A truly terrible photo I know, but this is the SquareD sub panel. It is controlled by a 60 amp feeder breaker in the main panel. I got the main panel replaced as well as the sub panel added and all my circuits etc.. for $600.00+ parts. I managed to swing some obscenely good deals on parts (Lowes had the SquareD stuff on clearance. Both panels and all the breakers were less than $100.00)

I do have a shelf over the RO tank that I missed the studs with the bracket screws. I need to go back and fix that, but that is it…

The opposite bay, and the middle where the table saw is is still a complete disaster, however the mounds ‘o junk are reducing rapidly… I can actually walk next to my saw now!

I have a few other minor things to be moved into place, or jetissoned. Of particular interest the cutoff bin (30 gallon steel trash can), and some bulky cutoffs of some unknown stormfall wood that was from Ike that I wanted to try turning. Every single time I have tried to chuck that stuff up it litereally fractures and flies apart. I am thinking that stuff needs to go to the fire pit at the deer camp… I also need to clean up my lumber racks. LOML has been putting all sorts of non wood on there.

At this rate though, I should be close enough to done to have the table saw / workbench cleared to use, and the freezer in the shop before I go take the truck up to my brother in law’s shop to do the transmission… That leaves insulating the non powered walls, finishing the drywall and paint there (have plenty of material), and cleaning. Lots, and lots of cleaning. In particular my jointer, and band saw tables need attention!)
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Good use of space in there.

I think I'm going to borrow your DC/compressor setup, although, I'd want a way to move that separator bin out of the way. I have the Thein separator inside my DC ring with a plastic drum underneath, but I'm sure doing it your way will make cleaning out the chips much easier and keep more fines out of my filter.

Comment

• Stytooner
      Roll Tide RIP Lee
      • Dec 2002
      • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
      • BT3100

Great use of space so far.
      The only thing that I can see that might work better is if you flip the bandsaw around and then you could connect the dust collection a bit easier. I know it seems a bit left handed that way, but if you move it out for larger cuts anyway, you could leave a hose connected and just use a blast gate. I have the same BS but have not used it very much at all. I did put roller guides on it and it will soon be moved from a storage position in a shed to my old woodworking shop. Then it can start earning it's keep.

I think rather than a dust port up top, you could mount some brush material on the inside of the bottom door. This would help knock the dust off the bottom teeth. I haven't done it yet to mine, but that is the plan.
      Lee

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by atgcpaul
        I think I'm going to borrow your DC/compressor setup, although, I'd want a way to move that separator bin out of the way. I have the Thein separator inside my DC ring with a plastic drum underneath, but I'm sure doing it your way will make cleaning out the chips much easier and keep more fines out of my filter.
        I am planning on going with a side flip arrangement, swapping the 55 gallon drum separator for a 30 gallon steel can. The 55 gallon plastic drum is HEAVY... However for what it's worth, floor space is working out better than my plan... The band saw had to get moved as the space I had in the design wasn't big enough in reality to have the saw, and allow the cab doors to open...

Originally posted by Stytooner
        Great use of space so far.
        The only thing that I can see that might work better is if you flip the bandsaw around and then you could connect the dust collection a bit easier. I know it seems a bit left handed that way, but if you move it out for larger cuts anyway, you could leave a hose connected and just use a blast gate. I have the same BS but have not used it very much at all. I did put roller guides on it and it will soon be moved from a storage position in a shed to my old woodworking shop. Then it can start earning it's keep.

I think rather than a dust port up top, you could mount some brush material on the inside of the bottom door. This would help knock the dust off the bottom teeth. I haven't done it yet to mine, but that is the plan.
        I do have the wheel brush installed. The dust comes off the workpiece at the top and sprays, which is why I want to add an upper dust port. I used to have one on it but took it off when I removed the roller guides. I never liked mine all that much...

Anyway, most of the dust went down into the lower door and got swept off the wheel and built up, BAD... I figure remove the existing dust port, and adding a port to the lower door in the fashion the new model from HF is doing, along with that brush should keep the dust from getting churned up in the lower door and lifted / put back into the air...
        Last edited by dbhost; 01-20-2014, 09:59 AM.
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

More cleanup progress! I spent about an hour and a half last night cleaning in the shop and it turned out well. I went into the shop with outside temps hovering in the mid 30s, expecting it to be cold, I forgot I left the heater on to keep the RO tank from freezing up... I walked in there, and it was 76 degrees! I had to shed the flannel and turn the heat down. I set it on medium output with only one element instead of both, which seemed to work better. I popped my head in this morning to look and it was 28 deg F outside, and 64 deg F in the shop... A bit warmer than I expected. but still in the pleasant zone for me. (My wife is different from me, but I like it between about 60 and 72. She likes it warmer...).

Anyway sadly, not the same perspective, but close. Both standing by the lathe, and looking to the opposite wall catching at least a piece of the lumber rack...

Before.

After.

The box on the little tub is holding patterns and parts for a scroll saw project I will be completing ASAP after the shop is back in one piece...

The before pic is a little misleading. It is from Jan 5 and shows the DC and the tool stacker which were already moved prior to yesterday. But pretty much everything else is the same!

I need to turn my attention now to cleaning up the table saw, workbench, miter saw bench, and organizing some errant fluid containers. Mostly automotive stuff. I also have 1 HUGE tote of miscellaneous "stuff" that needs to get organized and a home needs to be found for it. Again, mostly automotive bits and pieces. With that done, I can finally turn my attention to re configuring the dust collection duct work, and getting that freezer moved in.

I am so very, very close...

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

Wow, your "Before" looks like what mine is now!

It is not a matter of disorganization, but too many squeezed in, necessity repair/fixit projects!
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

No photos to show for it yet, but more shop prep time. The table saw and workbench are almost cleared off now. I need to find homes for a few small items, and a few mid size items. (Parts for project not near completion...)

I spent far too much time yesterday cleaning, and fixing a couple of minor mistakes, one of which was completely missing the studs when I installed a simple stamped bracket shelf to the wall above the Reverse Osmosis system tank and controller. The screws pulled out and tried taking sheet rock with them, I had to patch, and mud yesterday. I sanded the mud previously thrown in place for the patching of the wall behind where the freezer will be, and taped / mudded. I have some sanding, and paint left to do on these two wall segments. I also mounted up some open wall mounted bins between the tool stacker and the tank. These will hold tools for tools as it were, and extra peg board hooks.

I have the following left to do before I can call this shop project done.

#1. Sand & paint the two walls just mentioned.
              #2. Mount the shelf I was trying to mount CORRECTLY, and to the studs with 1-5/8" screws.
              #3. Pull library cabinet, install / mount a second heavy french cleat to help support the weight.
              #4. Caulk around the door trim. Paint door and trim.
              #5. Strip unpowered wall of everything. Leave mounting screws in place so as to mark where things go. Patch drywall. Fill All holes / cracks etc...
              #6. Insulate unpowered wall. Patch holes that were cut to blow insulation in. Mud, tape sand, and paint...
              #7. Finish opening up stub wall between doors enough to get expanding foam nozzle into place. Insulate the wall, allow insulation to cure.
              #8. Re-drywall stub wall, mud, tape, mud, sand, paint at least 2 coats entire front wall.
              #8. Re-frame for attic stairs, mount new attic stairs, repair drywall in celing. Patch any / all errant holes in sheet rock. Paint ceiling. Considering Semi gloss instead of flat...
              #9. Move remaining camping / hunting equipment into attic above shop.
              #10. Complete miter saw bench / fix racking problem. Found a major glue failure. Not sure if it is environmental, or I just got a bad batch, but my Titebond II isn't holding, things got loose...
              #11. Reinstall dust collection ducting.
              #12. Frame in, and add heavy duty shelf floating above mechanics toolbox, 2 3/4 in plywood shelves to hold automotive tools and "stuff" such as filters, jack stands etc...

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Okay updating my list to reflect the work done last night, and a minor change in priority...

#1. Paint the two walls just mentioned. Sanding is done...
                #2. Mount the shelf I was trying to mount CORRECTLY, and to the studs with 1-5/8" screws. I am going to locate the studs, mark them, set my screw locations / drill the holes, and THEN paint so that I can not worry about errant pencil marks on the fresh paint...
                #3. Pull library cabinet, install / mount a second heavy french cleat to help support the weight. Cut, paint bright white, and install plywood doors for the library cabinet.
                #4. Caulk around the door trim. Paint door and trim bright white.
                #5. Strip unpowered wall of everything. Leave mounting screws in place so as to mark where things go. Patch drywall. Fill All holes / cracks etc...
                #6. Insulate unpowered wall. Patch holes that were cut to blow insulation in. Mud, tape sand, and paint...
                #7. Finish opening up stub wall between doors enough to get expanding foam nozzle into place. Insulate the wall, allow insulation to cure.
                #8. Re-drywall stub wall, mud, tape, mud, sand, paint at least 2 coats entire front wall.
                #8. Re-frame for attic stairs, mount new attic stairs, repair drywall in celing. Patch any / all errant holes in sheet rock. Paint ceiling. Considering Semi gloss instead of flat...
                #9. Move remaining camping / hunting equipment into attic above shop.
                #10. Complete miter saw bench / fix racking problem. Found a major glue failure. Not sure if it is environmental, or I just got a bad batch, but my Titebond II isn't holding, things got loose... This is going to take a minor redesign as I am going to end up adding some blocking, and adjustable feet to it. Paint bright white inside and out including mortiser side cabinet.
                #11. Reinstall dust collection ducting.
                #12. Frame in, and add heavy duty shelf floating above mechanics toolbox, 2 3/4 in plywood shelves to hold automotive tools and "stuff" such as filters, jack stands etc... Paint this semi gloss white as well.

Comment

• JimD
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Lexington, SC.

It seems like you are thinking of painting the ceiling, possibly walls with semi-gloss. If I mis-read, please ignore. But if you are, the issue is with your mud joints or even the transition between the paper of the drywall and the mud. Semi-gloss, especially on the ceiling will show everything (in the right light). Flat hides things much better. You will be able to see what portion of the ceiling is wall board and which is mudded if you use semi-gloss. You probably will not with flat.

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Yeah, you are right with Semi gloss it does show more imperfection in the drywall, however I am more concerned with getting as much light back into the space as possible without too much glare.

Actually given a second coat the dull of where the mud is vs. direct to paper on the drywall disappears with semi gloss. I expect to do at least 2 coats on everything to cover up some stains and sharpie marks on the drywall... Probably end up with a 3rd in some spots...

I am discovering with Eggshell finish inside the house, that coverage isn't if you will excuse the pun... All it's cracked up to be :-D

Comment

Working...