Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

How to select and place shop Fluorescent lighting

Another Shopnotes article:

For me, I have Fluorescents hung from 8' rafters on short chains, so they're about 7' high.
    Workbenches are about 3' high.
    So By their suggestions, I have A=4' bench to fixture distance.
    So B= 1/3 of A ~=1.3 feet or 16 inches from the wall.
    and C=1.5 x A, or about 6' spacing or less to the next parallel lamp.
    And they should be end to end down the length of the shop.

I only have 5 2x4' fixtures lighting my 2-car garage shop although they are over the main work areas.

I guess I don't have enough lamps...
    Sounds like I should have at least four rows x 4 lamps long.
    I do have individual task spot lighting over my router table, drill presses, and band saw. I guess that's something.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-18-2013, 01:00 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • woodturner
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Western Pennsylvania
    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
    For me, I have Fluorescents hung from 8' rafters on short chains, so they're about 7' high.
    I've been thinking about using CFLs and those single lamp porcelain type fixtures. The fixtures could be mounted to a box on the side of the joists, getting them out of the way and somewhat protected. The joists and floor(ceiling of the basement) could be painted white to increase the reflected light.

Since CFLs are essentially free in manyareas as a result of utility subsidies, it seems like a more cost efficient approach than the shop lights. The shop light fixtures are inexpensive, but the tubes are kind of pricey.

Haven't tried it yet, and the concern would be light output and longevity, since the lamps would be on their sides.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

A pretty good article. With a search, there are many threads that cover lighting in the shop. I will say that cool white lamps works best for me as to color. I prefer 8' fixtures, and their placement over the table saw slightly behind the blade. If directly above the blade, slight shadows can exist if working right at the saw front, or leaning over the table.

Comment

• chopnhack
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Florida
        • Ryobi BT3100

Good, but rudimentary article. No discussions on lumens/ft, full spectrum daylight bulbs, etc. The full spec. are expensive, but considering how long fluorescents last, its a good investment. At the very least install them above your proposed finishing area.
        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by chopnhack
          Good, but rudimentary article. No discussions on lumens/ft, full spectrum daylight bulbs, etc. The full spec. are expensive, but considering how long fluorescents last, its a good investment. At the very least install them above your proposed finishing area.
          you're right, that would have been a good addition.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by chopnhack
            +1. Fluorescents do last a long time and IMO are very cost effective. I've tried CFL's and was very disappointed. They don't compare with fluorescent, and even if free, I wouldn't use them. Having the best light is more important to me than the cost.

As for the finishing area, I like fluorescents above the work, and on the surrounding walls. The more light the better.

Comment

• chopnhack
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • Florida
              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by cabinetman

As for the finishing area, I like fluorescents above the work, and on the surrounding walls. The more light the better.

Agreed, raking light is awesome!
              I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

Working...