• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bfrikken
    • Apr 2005
    • Michigan, USA.
    • BT-3100

12x16 Shop - Now what?

Yesterday, I just completed building my 12'x16' shed. On one end, I have a 32" steel entry door and a 48" steel roll up door. On each 16' foot side, I have a 2'x3' window that helps circulate the air. I custom built it, so I have a ridge board with rafters, 16" OC 2x4". Smooth Concrete Floor.

12x16 was the biggest I could put in because I live in a neighborhood with an association.

I'm now basically staring at an empty workshop and trying to visualize how I would lay things out. In addition to this shop, I have a space in my garage I'm considering dedicating to turning. It is 12x14.

I'm looking on ideas on where to actually start.

Staying up with my lathe, I'm considering leaving my 12" bandsaw and my table top drill press.

My Ryobi tablesaw will go down, and an eventual projet will be a mobile stand for it.

I have a nice workbench that I think I will take down for the shed/shop. I also have another 2'x4' cabinet on wheels that I can use as an outfeed to the table saw. My Compound miter saw will go down, and I'm debating on creating a dedicated work station for that on the back 12' wall.

I have a Dust Collector that I was thinking of putting in the front corner of my shed by the door, and running some DC Hose for it. I have the HF DC kit that you could get a while ago.

On the backend of the shed, on the 12' wall, I'm considering putting a 2' deep "loft" that will sit high enough (maybe 6') that I can put stuff up and out of the way. Also, on my 16' wall, above the window, I thought of running a couple brackets to create a lumber storage area. I'm trying to piece together a sketchup model of my space and want to add in things as I get ideas.
    Last edited by bfrikken; 06-25-2012, 02:19 PM.
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Start layin' that sucker out in Sketchup... You will be best served by losing factory tool stands and building storage cabinets under your tools instead.If you have a BT3000 you can actually salvage the legs and use them to frame in for some drawers etc... There are LOTS of great ways to cram a LOT of shop in not a lot of space... Just need to get creative. I must admit, the overhead door is not something I would have wanted to do. Just not my preference. I would have preferred a pair of 32" swing open doors. You can hang stuff on the inside of those easy!

I have a couple of Sketchup drawings I have done in the 3D warehouse. I have fit the following into the 12x16 footprint.

BT3100 with wide table kit. I include a storage cabinet base with built in router table.
    14" band saw on mobile base.
    Floor model drill press with mobile base, and storage cabinet that goes on that base (under construction right now!).
    12x36 lathe.
    HF Dust Collector.
    30 gallon upright compressor.
    Lunchbox Planer
    Bench Top Jointer.
    Oscillating belt / spindle sander
    8" bench grinder and Woverine Jig.
    12" sliding miter saw and HF mortising machine on a flip top stand.
    6' long by 24" wide workbench on cabinet base with multi drawer storage.
    10' + of lumber storage along wall above 4'.
    2 clamshell storage cabinets.
    "Bridge" shelves spanning space between clamshell cabinets. The bridge shelves are sized so that the doors on both cabs can be fully open at once and not touch each other.

The only major tool in my arsenal I do not have accounted for is my shop built wide drum sander, and honestly, It likely won't fit all that well... Maybe if I made it drive off of the table saw instead of its own motor..But no way!

Get busy with designing, you will have some storage projects ahead of you, but if you get creative enough with your storage and layout, it will all fit nicely in there... And give you room to work!

Different tool selection helps too. The HF slider is a great value for a sliding miter saw, but it is a monster size wise. The Hitachi with the rails going to the front of the saw instead of sliding rearwards, is MUCH more space efficient, and honestly a higher quality machine... I could reduce the footprint of my BT by taking out the wide table kit etc... It's all a matter of priorities...
    Last edited by dbhost; 06-25-2012, 02:58 PM.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• JR
      The Full Monte
      • Feb 2004
      • Eugene, OR
      • BT3000

Well, you've asked a lot of really open-ended qustions!

I see your comment about using sketchup for shop design. I found the Grizzly shop planner to be easier to use.

I'd also suggest putting some thought into work flow, especially which tools should be located together. For instance, a sharpening station near the lathe would be a good idea. That also might lead to conclusion that a woodworker's bench with your planes and chisels should be there, but it would require a lot of thought as to whether you could have your main machines in a separate building from your assembly/fine work area.

For the shed you might start by imagining how sheet goods and long boards will move through the process of cutting on the table saw, jointing, planing, cutting to length, etc. It's worth noting that an 8' sheet of plywood can't be run through your TS in a 16' workshop, so you'll have to decide how to work around that fact.

You can't have enough storage for small tools, but storage cabinets can get in the way of the above cutting operations. A bench at the exact same height as the table saw could be useful for handling sheet goods in a small shop, with cabinets/drawers below you'd be in good shape. This presumes you have a nice level floor which would be necessary for maintaing the bench and TS surfaces co-planar.

My shop is a bit bigger than yours, but my thread on layout may provide some food for thought.

JR
      JR

Comment

• bfrikken
        • Apr 2005
        • Michigan, USA.
        • BT-3100

For sheet goods, I plan on doing the cutting using my circular saw and guides.

I have a 12" planer coming soon, which may become one of the tools I plan on where to store and how to take it out when ready to be used. I'm trying to plan around the table saw.

Last night I did a quick inventory. The BT3100 and it's 2x4 work table will come down. The CMS will come down as will the wordworkers bench.

I have a 2'x2' reclaimed cabinet that i Put a glued together top on that will stay up with my lathe. It will be off to the side and serve as the stand for my benchtop drill press, since I mostly use the drill press for pens.

I do have another 2x4 bench with a back to it that has pegboard on it. I also have a matching 2x4 bench that I left the pegboard off of. I think I'm going to take the one without the back to it down to the shed, and leave the other up in the garage. i like having work surfaces to assemble by the lathe.

Comment

• pelligrini
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • Fort Worth, TX
          • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by bfrikken
          I have a 12" planer coming soon, which may become one of the tools I plan on where to store and how to take it out when ready to be used. I'm trying to plan around the table saw.
          Those lunchbox planers aren't all that portable. Yea, that can be moved a few times, but it get's old quickly. I got a DW735 a few years ago. It weighs 92 lbs. I think even the smaller lunchbox planers are over 70 lbs.

You might want to consider a flip top cabinet. I made one for my planer that fits under my roubo inspired bench. No more back breaking or gut splitting lifting! http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=39913
          Erik

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by pelligrini
            Those lunchbox planers aren't all that portable. Yea, that can be moved a few times, but it get's old quickly. I got a DW735 a few years ago. It weighs 92 lbs. I think even the smaller lunchbox planers are over 70 lbs.

You might want to consider a flip top cabinet. I made one for my planer that fits under my roubo inspired bench. No more back breaking or gut splitting lifting! http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=39913
            No joke about that. My stacker system is great for space efficiency, it STINKS for being easy on the back! The problem with a flip top stand is you are pretty much limited to 2 tools, one on each side, unless you get REALLY creative in jamming things on there... The stacker gives you storage as high as you can go ceiling and track wise...

A couple of things I am not sure if I mentioned to the OP, but I am gonna just to be sure...

#1. If your tool has a storage case for it. Use it. They help you keep your tools, and associated accessories clean, organized, and protected. Yes they use up a little more space. But how much space are you going to take up sprawled over the floor trying to untangle a knot of power cords trying to dig your circular saw out of a rats nest under a bench?

#2. I have been tending toward drawers, and specific compartments in cabinets for certain tools. And keep them somewhat related. Routing stuff over here, drilling stuff near the drill press, saws and accessories near the table saw etc... It works for me anyway, and I am likely to keep going with that organization method...

#3. wall stud cavities are good for storage, at the cost of insulation. I am unsure if that is a good trade off at this point. With outside temps hovering over 100 lately, insulation is wonderful stuff to have!

#4. Non shop related stuff does not belong in the shop. Meaning lawn and garden stuff, bicycles, gas cans etc... do NOT belong out there. Resist the urge to put them there!

#5. Do not be afraid to look up if you have the headroom for storage. Walls and ceilings are often overlooked storage areas...
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• wardprobst
              • Jan 2006
              • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
              • Craftsman 22811

If you don't want to do Sketch Up spend a little time making a scale model. It's kinda fun in a weird sort of way. You can make it out of any number of materials - I usually use cardboard & paper. It gives me a better perspective on how things will go together physically.
              DP
              www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• gsmittle
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2004
                • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                • BT 3100

Originally posted by wardprobst
                If you don't want to do Sketch Up spend a little time making a scale model. It's kinda fun in a weird sort of way. You can make it out of any number of materials - I usually use cardboard & paper. It gives me a better perspective on how things will go together physically.
                DP
                +1 on the model. I've been doing them for years for scene design and it is fun. Almost as much fun as woodworking. I usually use illustration board and hot-melt glue. Illustration board takes watercolor very well, and if you're careful not to soak the board, doesn't curl up much.

g.
                Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                Bill & Ted

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by gsmittle
                  +1 on the model. I've been doing them for years for scene design and it is fun. Almost as much fun as woodworking. I usually use illustration board and hot-melt glue. Illustration board takes watercolor very well, and if you're careful not to soak the board, doesn't curl up much.

g.
                  Have you tried Acrylic on illustration board? I have had good results with that kind of rig... It tends to stay put where watercolors always seem to run on me...

Another thought that just hit me for the OP. If you can manage it, you might want to put your compressor, assuming you have one, in that loft. Just run lines for pressurized air, and drain down where you can get to them, and a way of switching it on and off...
                  Last edited by dbhost; 06-27-2012, 10:23 AM.

Comment

• bfrikken
                    • Apr 2005
                    • Michigan, USA.
                    • BT-3100

So, I hope the image shows up. Let me know if you want another angle, but it is rather empty right now.

I put in my tablesaw and its associated worktable that I use as a extension. That's the green top worktable. I also modelled the other 2'x4' work bench and placed it. You'll see the back space has a full width "loft" that comes out 32".

The wall opposite the green top bench is where I was thinking of putting a long shelf system that is above the window for lumber storage.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• bfrikken
                      • Apr 2005
                      • Michigan, USA.
                      • BT-3100

Originally posted by dbhost
                      No joke about that. My stacker system is great for space efficiency, it STINKS for being easy on the back! The problem with a flip top stand is you are pretty much limited to 2 tools, one on each side, unless you get REALLY creative in jamming things on there... The stacker gives you storage as high as you can go ceiling and track wise...
                      I'm not sold on the flip top idea but am considering it. I've consider the stacker, in fact I think it was one of your posts I've seen when researching it.

#1. If your tool has a storage case for it. Use it. They help you keep your tools, and associated accessories clean, organized, and protected. Yes they use up a little more space. But how much space are you going to take up sprawled over the floor trying to untangle a knot of power cords trying to dig your circular saw out of a rats nest under a bench?
                      I save and utilize my storage cases (green top). The 2'x4' bench I have is fully enclosed except for the front, and I store all the cases with tools in there. They fit nicely and are easily accessible that way. I've been trying to maintain a clean work space, so as I need a tool, I use it, then put it away when done. Before I started this practice, I'd have a bunch of empty cases with the tools all thrown around.

#2. I have been tending toward drawers, and specific compartments in cabinets for certain tools. And keep them somewhat related. Routing stuff over here, drilling stuff near the drill press, saws and accessories near the table saw etc... It works for me anyway, and I am likely to keep going with that organization method...
                      Not one drawer yet, but I'd like to build more organization as I progress and look forward to suggestions as I do my layout. I like my little stuff (bits, parts, etc) in a couple drawers I have in my garage.

I do have a couple of those handy compartment style cases you can get cheaply at Harborfreight for screws/nails and bits. I may pick up a few more of those to sit under my other work bench as I have a need to store little parts. They are those briefcase style black plastic boxes with a clear plastic top and yellow trays inside.

#3. wall stud cavities are good for storage, at the cost of insulation. I am unsure if that is a good trade off at this point. With outside temps hovering over 100 lately, insulation is wonderful stuff to have!
                      I'm considering insulation right now. One thing I've already noticed is if my shed doors are open, my kids want to come in The siding nails poke through in a few spots that I'm considering covering with insulation.

#4. Non shop related stuff does not belong in the shop. Meaning lawn and garden stuff, bicycles, gas cans etc... do NOT belong out there. Resist the urge to put them there!
                      A few things are going down there no matter what. If I find I can put them back up in the garage, that will be a plus, but they are trivial things that for the time being, I'd rather have down in the shop rather than up in the garage where the little hands can get into it.

#5. Do not be afraid to look up if you have the headroom for storage. Walls and ceilings are often overlooked storage areas...
                      Agreed. My goal is to keep as little stuff on the floor as necessary. I now have the rear "loft" shelf that adds nearly 36 sq feet of storage

Real good stuff here, I appreciate all of it.

Comment

Working...