• Mar 2011
    • a thousand or so feet above insanity
    • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

router table designs....

I have:
    - router (11 amp Craftsman)
    - Black & Decker workmate
    - Nice big slice of counter top

So - I'm thinking --- I have almost everything I need to make a router table.

Where do I go from here?

Plate?
    (I have two round bases for my router --- the OEM base, plus a sign making base that takes bushings)
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Where do you want to go from here? Are you looking to mount the countertop on the workmate? What type of fence are you interested in?

If someone challenged me with, "Using only this router, a workmate, and this slab of countertop - make a router table in 30 minutes" - I'd probably:

1) Use a plate (that I already have) and modify the countertop to accept the plate/router
    2) Make a simple L fence that can be clamped to the coutertop
    2) Use some of these clamps to fasten the countertop to the workmate
    4) Throw a sandbag under the workmate for stability

Otherwise - lots of good designs around for router tables to consider here via "search". I modeled mine off a Rockler design. Have fun!
    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

as I get older I find my preference is router table heights goes upwards.
      I would say a B&D workmate would be good for using a hand saw but its too low for router table use... my back says I don't like to bend down too far to make adjustments below the table and my eyesight likes to have the work closer to me... both of which makes my 38" router table height above most workmates, I think.

whats the other requirements? Simple, fast, cheap? No dust collection, no templates, bushings, or throat plates.
      It's a minimal table but you can do a lot with it. If its what you want then:

Route a square recess in the bottom of the table top. Just large enough to set the router in. USe some framing to guide the router with a 3/4" plungeable bit and increase it by 1/8" deep per pass unitl it leaves 1/4" thickness. Mark and drill the router mounting holes and countersink the top. Now you have a perfectly flat table. Put a 2" hole in the center of it with a forstner.

Make a 3-sided box which will raise the table top to the working height above the workmate... it must also be tall enough to handle the router extended height (this can go down between the halves of the workmate top its its too tall. Make fixtures on the base to stabilize on the top of the workmate but extend down to be clamped by the workmate.

Then make a cheapie fence... use a 2 x 3 piece of hardwood the same width as the table. And Cut a 1" wide and one inch deep notch in the center to recess bits. Clamp the fence to the table edges.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        as I get older I find my preference is router table heights goes upwards.
        I would say a B&D workmate would be good for using a hand saw but its too low for router table use... my back says I don't like to bend down too far to make adjustments below the table and my eyesight likes to have the work closer to me... both of which makes my 38" router table height above most workmates, I think.
        Loring, you are . . . getting . . . older!

About 10 years ago, I discovered I liked hand control tools/machines closer to me in such a way that I did not have to bend over so much.

Hang all this stuff on everything being the same height. Doesn't help a bit when it makes the back ache and regretting having started a project!
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• vaking
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2005
          • Montclair, NJ, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3100-1

There are many router table designs and there is no one that is "the best". Everything is in the eye of the beholder.
          I would not mount countertop on workmate - too low. Workmate can be used as a stand for benchtop router table. If you want to make a good router table you will have to buy a good plate and rings, fence or material for the fence, dust collection fittings, t-tracks, power switch, bit guard, etc. You can buy a table for less. Making your own table is worth it only if you know exactly what you want and insist on making it to your specs. For an inexpensive decent table take a look at this:
          Shop Sears for appliances, tools, clothing, mattresses & more. Great name brands like Kenmore, Craftsman Tools, Serta, Diehard and many others.

If you want to put that nice big slice of countertop to good use - make an assembly/outfeed table.
          Alex V

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

Is it a plunge router (or have a plunge base)?

I am getting nostalgic, and thinking of Niki.....

Some threads:
            This forum is for discussions about any and all power tools. Whether you are looking to buy a new tool or you have a question about the usage of a tool, this is the place to be!

This forum is for discussions about any and all power tools. Whether you are looking to buy a new tool or you have a question about the usage of a tool, this is the place to be!

and a link to more of his stuff (used what he had, lived in Poland with less access then we have easier access to).

This forum is for any topic that you would normally talk about at the office "around the coffee pot". Jokes, tall tales, and true stories are welcome as long as they are clean and in good taste. I only ask that you steer away from topics on religion or politics. Go ahead and pull up a chair and pour yourself a cup of coffee and enjoy the conversation.

I would consider starting with that, and going to the library and reading "Woodworking with a router" by Bill Hylton. (learn what you like and what options you have before spending the money) JMHO
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• pelligrini
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • Fort Worth, TX
              • Craftsman 21829

A workmate can make a decent base for a router table. Before I got my 21829 I mounted my craftsman benchtop router table on top of my workmate. It can also depend on the style of the workmate too, mine had foldable splayed legs and a step. Can't remember which model offhand.
              Erik

Comment

• Cochese
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2010

I personally think the RT1000/AWW/NYW design is the best, if you have the room. You could put that counter top on literally anything and it be a good option. Someone throwing out a bath vanity, etc.
                I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• os1kne
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Atlanta, GA
                  • BT3100

It's always nice to look at Niki's stuff. Often, at first look I think to myself "what is he trying to do here?" and then it hits me - a brilliant solution to a particular challenge. It may sometimes appear unconventional, but it's always effective.
                  Bill

Comment

• JoeyGee
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2005
                    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

Good timing--Steve over at woodworking for mere mortals is going through that same process of router table design this week and should have a video up this Friday with his results.

Easy-to-follow woodworking plans for building great looking projects without a needing expensive tools. These plans are for beginner and intermediate level hobbyist woodworkers with small shops.
                    Joe

Comment

• RodKirby
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
                      • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Originally posted by leehljp
                      Loring, you are . . . getting . . . older!

About 10 years ago, I discovered I liked hand control tools/machines closer to me in such a way that I did not have to bend over so much.

Hang all this stuff on everything being the same height. Doesn't help a bit when it makes the back ache and regretting having started a project!
                      Oh! Ditto, gentlemen
                      Particularly my disk sander - extended the legs by 6" = what a difference
                      Last edited by RodKirby; 03-07-2012, 11:21 PM.
                      Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• durango dude
                        • Mar 2011
                        • a thousand or so feet above insanity
                        • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

Update -

did some rough/conceptual layout.

Concluded I really need a insert plate.

Looking around - router plates seem to be exceptionally expensive ---

I checked Woodcraft, rockler, and Grizzly --- nothing reasonable in any of those places.

The best deals seem to be Peachtree woodworking. Any other suggestions?

Comment

• wardprobst
                          • Jan 2006
                          • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
                          • Craftsman 22811

Make your own.
                          DP
                          www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• chopnhack
                            Veteran Member
                            • Oct 2006
                            • Florida
                            • Ryobi BT3100

If you can wait for the backorder Grizzly had one for a decent price. http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=54960
                            I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

Working...