• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sscherin
    • Dec 2003
    • Kennewick, WA, USA.

One car garage layout help

OK folks..

I managed to draw up my garage in sketch up as it is now..

How would you re-arrange this?

The black box between the lathe and tool chest is a 2 drawer file cabinet I keep lathe tooling in.

If someone wants to play with the sketch up file just ask and I'll upload it to my web site..
    It's to large to put in the 3D Warehouse.
    Attached Files
    William's Law--
    There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it
    cannot be solved by brute strength and ignorance.
  • sscherin
    • Dec 2003
    • Kennewick, WA, USA.

So far I'm thinking of moving the tall file cabinet over to the outside wall by the garage door.
    Bt on a mobile base rolled next to the drill press bench then not in use.

Bandsaw, Replace the metal base with a mobile cabinet and put it where the BT currently sits.

Tool chest?? Maybe under the peg board by the door.
    William's Law--

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Nice sketchup drawing. Like the model airplane hanging in the wall, and the 2 motorcycles.

one of the reasons for putting it in sketchup is so that you can move stuff effortlessly.
      Instead of having us mentally visualize the change, why don't you post another set of pictures of the proposed change and then it'd be easier to comment. It's 7AM and I can't think yet...
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• radhak
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • Miramar, FL
        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

First - what is causing a problem (or an itch) for you? Are you unable to access any tool, or are unable to clean up easy, or want to add another tool?

Do you keep the bikes there all the time, just at night, or just want to keep that space available for times of storm/rain etc? Or maybe you just move them out when woodworking?

Which tall cabinet did you want to move? I see two at the far end, did you mean one of them? Methinks that might take too much floor space in front, make it difficult for the bikes?

We need a snapshot from ground level, to assess available wall space. What are the measurements of the garage (L x W x H)?
        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
        - Aristotle

Comment

• sscherin
          • Dec 2003
          • Kennewick, WA, USA.

I'll update the sketchup tonight.. I spent my time last night cleaning up the garage and getting things ready to move.

The garage is 24x11.
          The tall 3'8"x9' cabinets in the back are built in and can't be moved.

The spot with the airplane is where I hang my planes. I have about 40" from the floor under them to place cabinets and tools.

The nook in the back corner must be kept clear because the breaker panel is in there.

The driver for the re-arrangement is to create a workable space.
          Until recently I've had 4-5 motorcycles in there plus lots of parts.

Access to everything was a problem and I spent more time clearing space then getting work done. I decided to part the less hopeful bikes sold the Yamaha and moved my BSA to my fathers storage shed.

I have it down to 2 Suzuki GS1000 bikes now and eliminated most of the parts. This gave me the room to haul out the BT, get it's belts replaced and start using it.

The bikes live in the garage unless I'm riding them or need need space for a 1-2 day project.

The goal is to have space in the back for wood working and building airplanes.
          Up front will be the bikes, tool chest, floor jacks, and space to work on them or poke the nose of a car in if needed.

The cabinet I moved is a 4 drawer file cabinet (in the pic with the tire leaning on it). I want to move it to the corner over by the fire extinguisher. Move the lathe over so it straddles the drain stack and then move the tool chest over so it's centered on the wall across from door.
          Last edited by sscherin; 01-24-2012, 12:32 PM.
          William's Law--

Comment

• sscherin
            • Dec 2003
            • Kennewick, WA, USA.

This is what I was thinking of..

If I build a large mobile base for the bt I'd swap it with the bandsaw.

BT and BS will be on mobile bases.
            Attached Files
            William's Law--

Comment

• sscherin
              • Dec 2003
              • Kennewick, WA, USA.

Guess I need to make a drawing for the work bench I wanted to build.. Where the heck will I put it?
              Last edited by sscherin; 01-27-2012, 10:55 AM.
              William's Law--

Comment

• radhak
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2006
                • Miramar, FL
                • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Hmmm...

I was about to suggest you gain space by using the joists over the bikes, but then realized your garage doors roll up, making that idea impossible. (Maybe you should replace the door with regular barn doors...)

I think you have good spot identified for the cabinet. Maybe you could top it with some shelves / small cabinet to (a) utilize the space above it and (b) always good to put away stuff and get more space elsewhere.

Mobile bases always help; you could take inspiration from the mobile garage described in FWW (and discussed here) couple of years ago. I'll try and get a link in. (Edit : here it one - http://www.finewoodworking.com/FWNPDFfree/011160044.pdf, a free pdf); not the one I remembered though; will update if found).

Figuring out a workbench will be tricky until you get these changes into your diagram (incl the mobile bases).
                It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                - Aristotle

Comment

• radhak
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2006
                  • Miramar, FL
                  • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Check this for ideas : http://www.finewoodworking.com/Works....aspx?id=22880

Btw - those airplanes are pretty large - how much do they weigh? I presume they fly too?
                  - Aristotle

Comment

• pelligrini
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2007
                    • Fort Worth, TX
                    • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by radhak
                    Hmmm...

I was about to suggest you gain space by using the joists over the bikes, but then realized your garage doors roll up, making that idea impossible. (Maybe you should replace the door with regular barn doors...)
                    I was able to fit some ceiling storage in over a roll up door in my garage. It's only a little over a foot tall, but it can hold a mess of lumber and flat sheets.
                    Erik

Comment

• sscherin
                      • Dec 2003
                      • Kennewick, WA, USA.

Nice articles.. Thanks!.. I more than a few good ideas that I think will open up enough space to add a mobile work bench/outfeed table..

Right now I have the Drill press/ Belt sander and bench grinder sitting on a BT3000 stand (the one by the door) and I also have a small 2 drawer file cabinet I keep lathe tooling, drill bits and router bits in.. It does a poor job of storing those tools..

I think I'll build a small cabinet to replace the 2 drawer file cabinet..
                      Mount the Drill Press on top of it and park that back over by the lathe.

Then I'll build a mobile work bench with storage for the belt sander, bench grinder, miter saw & other tools to replace the old BT stand the DP and friends are on now. I have a pair of carpenters vices I can mount on the side.

I guess I have to update my drawing again
                      William's Law--

Comment

• sscherin
                        • Dec 2003
                        • Kennewick, WA, USA.

In this version I added a work bench.
                        removed the BT base stand that was holding the drill press and bench grinder
                        Moved the Drill press to a cabinet I'll build to hold it, drill bits and lathe tooling.
                        Made the BT a side table.. Just a lazy mans drawing to represent what will be a mobile base cabinet.

Those airplanes are really not all that big..

The blue Edge 540 is only has a 48" wing span and weighs 3 pounds.. It has crazy power for it's weight.

I have kits for 81" Cap 232 and 85" P-51 planes hiding in the big cabinets along with a 4 meter glider.
                        Each wing on that one is 6 feet.

This is the motor and prop for the P-51.. 24" 4 blade running on 29.6v @ 110A
                        Neu 1521/1.5Y/6.78S 5000mah lipoCastle 110 HV ESCByron 24x15 4 blade prop
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by sscherin; 01-27-2012, 09:51 PM.
                        William's Law--

Comment

Working...