• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rIG_oRE
    Handtools only
    • Jan 2012

Wiring up the Shop.

Hi Folks,
    Got a question/advice for wiring up my shop.

Setup. I'm renting industrial shop space for my list of hobbies/garage. It is 32'wX46'LX25'H. In the shop Is 2 110v 30a 3phase outlets and 1 light. I've jerry rigged up a system for more outlets/lights. But before I move in I'm wanting to add some more juice.

What I can do is pretty much anything as long as it's done by a certified electrician. I have access to both 110 and 220. The owner suggested that I can run as many lines into the shop as I want. BUT he said that bc of local idiots he's had to lock access to the breakers so if I trip them he has to unlock the access which is from 9am-6pm. I have a make shift bed in the shop so plan on being there all hours of the night.

What I want to do is add a 90A line to a 6 panel box thus creating my own access and can add more lines around the shop as I please (mod electrical knowledge).

All my tools are 110v

Is this a good/best setup? should I run a 220 line to have the option?

Side note the electrician is a friend of a friend who runs 4 crews building arenas and such, so going to trade a few custome rods for his service so parts are all I'll have to pay for.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

here are some initial random thoughts.
    1. you are a one man shop operation so its unlikely that you will be needing multiple heavy machines operating at one time, with the following exceptions: Air compressor and Dust collectors.
    2. you have a largish shop but only 110V tools, either you are just starting out or you do small work and don't need 3 HP saws. If you plan on running larger tools for heavy cutting then several 220V would be OK, otherwise maybe one or 2 will do.

3. Individual lines should include:
    a. air compressor either 110 or 220V the ones that operate 220V are for paint sprayers and heavy tools. 110 leaves you with3-4 CFM tools and 220 will let you use 6-7 CFM tools. In the best world you might want both a 110 and 220 circuit for Air compressor

4. Serious dust collection will need 220V and a dedicated circuit since it will be running at the same time as your main tool. MOst all 2 HP and above DC's use 220V

5. You need one or two cicuits for all your small and bench tools - spread around the shop.
    6. one circuit for lights
    7 one circuit for comfort items... Stereo/radio/TV, small fridge, etc.
    8 One circuit for heating and or air conditioning

your needs may vary

ON access to the breakers...
    If the breaker box is outside and locked then you may well put a sub panel inside from the outside breaker. If the subpanel has breakers less than the main panel, in all but a dead short situation the subpanel should trip and you would have access. This of course costs more money - if the breaker panel outside has enough room then it would be cheaper to put the breakers there saving the cost of a subpanel. The savings could be applied to a good combination Sesame type lock giving you both access with one lock and zero keys but a shared combination number, or a chain with two locks, giving either one of you access with individual locks and individual keys. I cannot remember when i last tripped a breaker, I have not tripped one since adding circuits. IT becomes less likely when you have enough power.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-08-2012, 04:45 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• woodturner
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2008
      • Western Pennsylvania
      • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by rIG_oRE
      What I want to do is add a 90A line to a 6 panel box thus creating my own access and can add more lines around the shop as I please (mod electrical knowledge).
      It appears you are expecting the branch panel breakers to trip in the event of a fault and assuming the 100A (closest to 90A that is commonly available) in the service panel will not trip, thus avoiding the need to unlock the service panel.

Unfortunately, it may not work that way. Depending on the fault, both breakers could trip, or the 100A might trip first.

For moderate overcurrent, such as stalled tools, it is likely to work out the way you expect. Short a wire, though, and all bets are off.
      --------------------------------------------------
      Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• rIG_oRE
        Handtools only
        • Jan 2012

Thank you guys for your thoughts

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by rIG_oRE

What I can do is pretty much anything as long as it's done by a certified electrician.
          I would get a certified electrician with this type of experience to evaluate your needs and the site to come up with a solution and recommendations.

Comment

Working...