• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Help me figure better DC ducting..

Okay, so I have been working on my shop, and am getting closer to a final configuration, but the sliding miter saw, and it's associated hood are throwing me for a loop. (No hood in my sketchup model yet, but the port is on the right of the box...). I am attaching my sketchup model link to it, as I am somewhat flumoxed as to how better to arrange my shop / dust collection... About the only things that can't move, at least very far from their current locations are the black and silver cylinders as those represent my Reverse Osmosis / softener system, and then then air conditioner that is positioned between the overhead doors.

A couple of things to note:

#1. The gap between the bench and man door is intentional, that space should remain unused. LOML wants to put our freezer there. I would prefer the freezer closest to the man door to minimize traffic into the rest of the shop just to get ground chuck...

#2. The front left corner of the shop is shown empty. It's not. I have an area 6' x 8' that is filled with lawn and garden stuff. Lord willing we will eventually get a shed, but that's not happening any time soon I don't think...

#3. I left off the mechanics rolling tool chest / cart. It sits in the cubby with the DC now. I am not married to any one position of this thing.

#4. I just realized looking at it again, I left off my compressor... Ideas for where that should live are welcome as well...

#5. The mobile base / workstation for the BT is just an idea placeholder for now... I am still working on that. But at least we get some size ideas...

Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

First, there are the usual admonishments to use only long-radus or 45-degree bends, put blast gates nearest to the main line as you can, and minimize the use of flex hose. But you knew all that.

I can't quite tell, but are those tools located at the front a jointer and planer (I don't see them elsewher, so I'm guessing)? If so, that's a pretty long run to the tools that make the heaviest, highest-volume chips.

re: the miter saw. There is no perfect solution. Put it where it is most convenient, follow all the rules when plumbing the DC, and learn to clean up periodically.

As to general layout, I'd probably run a single backbone down the center from the DC to the front of the shop, with wyes branching off to the tools.

HTH,
    JR
    JR

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by JR
      ...I can't quite tell, but are those tools located at the front a jointer and planer (I don't see them elsewher, so I'm guessing)? If so, that's a pretty long run to the tools that make the heaviest, highest-volume chips.
      The "Tool Stacker" along the wall w/ the Ridgid sander model is where the jointer and planer are. As you may recall my jointer is a Sunhill benchtop 6". What I have set up is an overhead drop that services the bench, as well as the Shark Guard on the TS... The tools at the front are...

#1. Between the overhead doors lives the air conditioner, and the drill press on a mobile base.

#2. To the right of the overhead doors is my Central Machinery 12x36 lathe. The box under is is a project that is actually in progress. A plywood carcass / oak face frame and drawer front cabinet that mounts to the stand, it provides both ballast, and storage for my turning tools. I more or less figured the lathe was a lost cause for dust collection, so I haven't tried except to make sure that the shop vac can reach easily...

I have been considering moving the DC to where the tool stacker is, and vise versa... but the DC is currently piped to split the system 5" to 2 4" runs, one upper, 1 lower. which is why I have it where it is now. I am thinking of moving it down the wall, but splitting upper / lower to the right of the water filter system might prove problematic... It would eliminate about 7' of ductwork though...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

Are you having issues with the current dust collection setup/layout?
        Erik

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

I'm having trouble figuring out how to run to the miter saw. I recently added a hood to the miter saw, and want to pull from the DC instead of doing what I was doing, which was using the shop vac...

I have a run that comes over the ceiling over the bench, but to split off to the miter saw, I would have to move my shop light, I kind of don't want to do that... I need the light where it is..

I will try to get some better pics of my current setup posted soon, but with the holidays, and trying to finish up year end stuff @ work time to do that might be sparse for a few days...

Comment

• pelligrini
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • Fort Worth, TX
            • Craftsman 21829

OK, I was wondering if there were issues with any of the rest of the setup, mainly poor performance. If everything else is working well, I'd leave that ducting and just solve the problem for the one tool.
            Erik

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Well, I am leaning heavily in that direction... My current plan is to build a frame for the DC so that I can flip the impeller housing in the manner of the Delta 50-760 which is what is shown in the Sketchup... I haven't done that yet. I figured since I was rearranging things... Maybe somewhere else might offer some improvements. DC at the lathe is laughable, and if I move the DC to a more central location, the longest run including going up the wall would be 12' or so...

Just trying to eke every last drop of performance out of the system is all...

Comment

• pelligrini
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • Fort Worth, TX
                • Craftsman 21829

Do you use the SMC very often?

Maybe one of the extremely flexible dustright hoses could be a solution for the run to the SMC. Maybe a PVC run under that bench to a quick connect fitting. The hose could also be used to hook up to your bench machines when needed.

I have a 21' (3' length stored) hose hooked up to my roll around Jet DC. I mostly use that hose to vacum the shop and bench and sharpening station, but it also hooks up to my jointer or planer when I get them out. I'll also run it to the drill press if I'm going to make a lot of cuttings.
                Erik

Comment

Working...