• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Tooooo many tools? Will buy one more.

I guess I have to confess that I have toooo many tools. Hand tools that is. A couple of weeks ago, I posted a simple review here, of the 67421 HF three piece tool chest.

I mentioned that I probably needed another one for my wood working tools! Cab replied that I could make a good tool chest and provided a link here. That is a beautiful piece of work but it is too small for what I needed.

Well, I bought a second 67241 at $149 for my woodworking related tools. After going through "most" of my small tool boxes that I had here in the States, PLUS those from Japan, PLUS some from my dad when he passed away in 1996, I filled BOTH of the HF 3 piece tool chests and they are full. One for mechanics and general fix up tools and the second one for woodworking and measurement tools. I have tools left over - meters, electrical, dremel, air compressor tools, plumbing tools, all sorts of odds and ends and this does not count my router and drill press tools, attachments and bits. But the router and DP tools and bits will go into their own storage cabinets.

ON the hand tools - such as pliers and screw drivers of all kinds and sizes, - three tool chest drawers are filled with those and I have some in both tool chests. I have enough metric and Imperial sockets for nearly 3 sets of short and long of each. Duplications in open end, closed end and combination wrenches in metric and Imperial.

The good news is I won't have to buy sons-in-law presents for a couple of years!

It sure is nice to be able to go and find in an instant the very tool I need! I could use a third tool chest (and I do have a coupon) for the odds and ends.

Now for more GOOD news: I will buy a Grizzly G0555P:
    My Christmas present this year will be the Grizzly G0555P bandsaw with the riser block kit. LOML gave me "permission!" My middle daughter lives in Springfield, MO, and we will be there over New Years weekend. If Grizzly is open on the 2nd, I will get one from the store and save the freight of $74. If not, I will stay until the 3rd anyway. They should be opened on the 3rd at least. I left my old Sears 12" behind in Japan. I gave it to a friend in exchange for some Japanese memorabilia for LOML!
    Last edited by leehljp; 12-17-2011, 02:49 PM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Nope, tools are like clamps, there is no such thing as having too many. Not having enough space for them is a reality though.

Premature congratulations on the bandsaw, I've been eyeballing that one as well.
    Erik

Comment

• sweensdv
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • WI
      • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Hank, with the Holiday Season upon us and demand for product at its peak, it might be a good idea to phone Grizzly now and order and pay for your saw for pick-up later. I'd hate to hear that you went to their store only to find out they sold the last one they had on hand a few days before you got there.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by sweensdv
        Hank, with the Holiday Season upon us and demand for product at its peak, it might be a good idea to phone Grizzly now and order and pay for your saw for pick-up later. I'd hate to hear that you went to their store only to find out they sold the last one they had on hand a few days before you got there.
        Thanks for the heads up on this. I will do that Monday morning! I almost bought the HF model last January. ON Jan 1, they had the 25% off for that day only. I went to the Memphis HF and they were out and would not give a raincheck. So, I should have learned from that. I appreciate you giving this warning!
        Hank Lee

Comment

• chopnhack
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • Florida
          • Ryobi BT3100

That is great news Lee. Let us know your impressions as you assemble and start using that bandsaw. +2 on eyeballing that model!
          I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by chopnhack
            That is great news Lee. Let us know your impressions as you assemble and start using that bandsaw. +2 on eyeballing that model!
            I am a little aggravated with Grizzly. There is a little bad news, good news in this. I called this morning and was told that they were already out of stock. I was also told that by being in Mississippi, mine would ship out of the Springfield warehouse on or around the 15th of January. In addition, the customer service lady said that I would be notified BEFORE it shipped and I could tell them to hold it for customer pickup at the warehouse in Springfield..

The Polar version is $425 and the price would not be necessarily guaranteed after the first. So I need to order it before Jan. 1 to lock in the $425 price vs the $475 on the G0555. I ordered it this morning after talking to the lady in customer service.

The delay until the 15th would a problem for me as I don't have any "spare time" between now and Jan 9 or 10 anyway.

Well, I have been out all day and just returned home, and I had an email from Grizzly saying that it shipped today from the Pennsylvania warehouse for delivery either on the 22nd or 23rd - Before Christmas!. That is OK, but I was looking forward to picking it up myself and saving the $74 shipping cost. Of course it would cost me that much in gas to go get it, but LOML and I would be able to use the trip to stay with our daughter for two or three days and visit Branson in the process. We still are going to Springfield, but not for a Bandsaw.

I ordered the riser kit with it and it comes with one bandsaw blade. At least it is a start, and I will order a few more. I am just trying to figure out from who and what brand to get.

I will report when I get it together. My son in laws will be here from Wednesday - Saturday, so together we can assemble it Friday, hopefully! LOML and 6 grandsons and 1 grand daughter have my days planned from Wednesday of this week. Maybe, I can call assembling the bandsaw as a family affair!
            Last edited by leehljp; 12-19-2011, 11:40 PM.
            Hank Lee

Comment

• toolguy1000
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2009
              • westchester cnty, ny

Originally posted by leehljp

I ordered the riser kit with it and it comes with one bandsaw blade. At least it is a start, and I will order a few more. I am just trying to figure out from who and what brand to get.
              lennox promaster carbon steel blade from iturra design. i wanted to like timberwolf blades, but 4 different new blades all had defective welds, so i'm off that brand for good. i was having a problem with blade loping and that one lennox blade from iturra did more to improve the saw's performance than anything else i've done to it (an 18" jet).

and, for the record, i don't think it's possible to have too many tools. having duplicate function tools, like a miter saw and a RAS, facilitate making different types of cuts in the same workpiece without having to reposition either tool. also, multiple combo kits all sharing the same battery platform means never having to wait for a battery to reharge.
              Last edited by toolguy1000; 12-20-2011, 12:04 AM.
              there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

if you're just getting one blade to start with get a 1/2" HIghland hardware Woodslicer or maybe the Iturra blade mentioned before. Both should be excellent blades. Of course get them for the w/riser size. Probably toss the OEM blade since it will be too short anyway. I'm sure you won't be removing and replacing the riser just to change blades - better to start with the long ones and stay with it.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                  if you're just getting one blade to start with get a 1/2" HIghland hardware Woodslicer or maybe the Iturra blade mentioned before. Both should be excellent blades. Of course get them for the w/riser size. Probably toss the OEM blade since it will be too short anyway. I'm sure you won't be removing and replacing the riser just to change blades - better to start with the long ones and stay with it.
                  I ordered some Lennox blades and the ones for the riser kit of course.
                  Hank Lee

Comment

• sweensdv
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • WI
                    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

If you like to smoke meat, save the blade that comes with the riser kit. I use my OEM blade to cut up wood chunks that I use for smoking as that's about all it's good for. Works good for that purpose and saves your good blades. Congrats on the new bandsaw.

Comment

• chopnhack
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 2006
                      • Florida
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Grats Lee! I will be living vicariously through your posts :-)
                      I head Starrett makes bs blades, don't know if they are any good, but someone high up in woodworking mentioned them to me.

And sweensdv had me choking over here, I thought he was going to say how he cuts meat with his original stock blade.
                      I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• leehljp
                        Just me
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Tunica, MS
                        • BT3000/3100

I got a call today from UPS who will be delivering it. They wanted to make sure that I was going to be home Thursday between 1PM and 5PM to take delivery. I have never had anything big enough for them (UPS) to call me for a delivery schedule two days ahead. I am getting antsy just waiting!

On using the original for cutting barbecue chunks, - good idea! On my bandsaw that I left in Japan, I had a couple of blades that I used for junk wood such as that. It was hard to get rid of wood over there and I had to cut down large pieces often so that they would fit in small bags for disposal (local government regulations). I used a couple of cheap blades for that.

I ordered a mobile base to go with it. It is due in at the same time.

I will keep everyone posted when I start assembling it and how it goes.
                        Hank Lee

Comment

Working...