• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • woodsy11
    Handtools only
    • Sep 2011

Dust collection systems

G'Day Folks

I'm in the process of fitting out a small workshop, essentially it is 8.5 X 6.5 metres, skillion tin roof, 3.6m tall on the high end and 3.0m on the low end.
    The major piece of equipment will be 5 in 1 combination machine, but it will also have a 3 hp bandsaw, and possibly a Shopsmith mark 7 combination machine, ( for small volume woodturning and minor back up to the main machine.
    My question concerns dust extraction what would be the most cost effective/ appropriate
    dust collection system to employ. My intention is to make furniture predominantly and other associated stuff. I hope to be busy!
    My whole endeavour at this point is to make the workspace as comfortable, and practical as possible, i believe dust collection is integral to this, but i haven't won the lottery just yet, so cost is a sobering factor.
    Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions appreciated even the rude ones as long as they are funny.

Cheers

Woodsy11
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

my first thought is that since you don't have a lot of machines, having some combination machines, then you don't have to worry about a lot of ducting and stuff. A decent dust collector with one flex hose might work for you.

Probably the most cost effective ones these days are the Harbor freight (HF) 2HP DC which can be frequently found on sale as low as around 150 bucks with their coupons . Its not quite up to the performance of other 2 HP machines but probably as good as or better than most 1.5HP machines now that they've gotten away from the 30 micron bags and gone to a 5 micron bag

Another good one is the Delta model this one's gotten good reviews http://www.amazon.com/DELTA-50-760-1...8091396&sr=1-1
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• steve-norrell
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • The Great Land - Alaska
      • BT3100-1

I have one of these

and it works fine for one or two tools at a time. It is also pretty compact and fits under some wall cabinets.

Good luck. Regards, Steve

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

I think Woodsy is from down under. Shipping from HF might be a bit much.

How big is your combo machine? A big Felder will need a lot more than a HF 2HP DC

Around here I see a lot of good deals on used 3 Phase Power equipment. I can't use it in my shop (even if I had the room). I'm not sure what's available in your neck of the woods.

I'd try to get a decent two stage system or a powerful bagged DC and make a seperator.
        Erik

Comment

Working...