X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

Final phases of the shop

I've been slowly bringing the shop along here. I'm down to the last couple of major tools I want to buy, and the last bit of major organization.

In that vein, I'm about to remove the last bit of non-shop bit of real estate in my plans: my lawn mower. It sits in a rear corner, and my golf clubs, planer (in a non-use parking spot), and shop vac/dc combo sit on top. The clubs can't realistically go anywhere, but I will be able to claim almost all of that space. I figure it's about 4'x5' of floor and wall space.

I do have storage for a couple of tools to figure out here. The lunchbox planer (Ryobi 1300), the shop vac and dc (5gal bucket w/ lid), and my new sander (Ridgid OSS) are the priorities. The last two major tools on my wish list is a mortiser and a floor-standing jointer. I'm doing some brainstorming on if I want a larger mobile unit that holds the dust items underneath, or individual mobile bases with some storage for each included.

I do not want to do any flip carts. I tried that once before and I did not feel comfortable with the stability. I feel the same with tall, narrow bases on either the sander or planer. I also want to try and avoid bending over excessively.

I welcome ideas. I've been scouring Google the last couple of days but haven't decided on anything yet.
    I have a little blog about my shop
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

You can build one cart/stand for the planer and OSS but you will fun into a problem with the working height. I have my planer and WDS bolted to the top of a table and use the bottom shelf to store bench top sanders and my scroll saw. A removable shelf on one end puts the OSS at a comfortable working height.

Click image for larger version

Name:	spindle sander.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	785813

Name:	Shelf mounted.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	785814

Name:	shelf support.JPG
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	785815

Name:	Shelf Hanger.JPG
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	785816

Thought about, but never did, adding a second set of brackets to mount the shelf higher for the belt sanders and scroll saw.

BTW, don't scrimp on the casters. These are heavy tools, especially the planer. The loaded weight of my cart is over 400#'s. Cheaper casters may handle the rolling weight but the swivel bearings are single row and will bind up when you try to steer the thing. PM me and I will give you a source / point of contact for some quality casters.

In your case it might work as well to build a 2 level top that would keep the planer and OSS at the right working height. Vac and seperator could go under the talller side for the planer.
    Last edited by Pappy; 09-04-2011, 09:03 AM.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• kevincan
      Established Member
      • Oct 2006
      • Central Illinois
      • Craftsman 21829

Pappy

I love that add on shelf on your cart. I am going to steal that idea for a smaller cart that I have. It would work great for my OSS.

Great advice on the casters also. I tried some cheaper smaller casters on my cart and it was a pain to move around.

Comment

• wardprobst
        • Jan 2006
        • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
        • Craftsman 22811

My experience with casters is the larger diameter the better, especially if you have to roll over something. It seems a waste of space to some degree but it is easier to roll, and allows easy cleanup underneath the cart. I find the trade off worth while. You can use HF 5, 6 or even 7 inch casters pretty reliably. Their smaller ones are not that usable.
        Hope this helps,
        DP
        www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• chopnhack
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • Florida
          • Ryobi BT3100

Pappy can you list your recommendations on casters? I was looking for a good 4", but like Ward said, larger is better on heavy loads.
          I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Cochese
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2010

Before I make a decision, what's a good height for these things?

Comment

• wardprobst
              • Jan 2006
              • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
              • Craftsman 22811

I like the planer below waist high, the OSS chest high so you would step the cart top and put the DC under the OSS. I've had a jointer and planer on one stand at the same height and really liked that but I like the OSS higher personally. Can't help with the mortise machine, mine is hand powered. I like a cart with fixed wheels on one end, moved like a wheelbarrow or the BT. I used 5" wheels on the current one, my old shop I had to roll over a 1.5" drop and they did well.
              DP
              Last edited by wardprobst; 09-06-2011, 11:32 PM.
              www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• Cochese
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2010

After looking at a few - well, thousands - of ideas, I think I'm going to build separate carts for each thing versus trying to build a bigger combo cart. I tried that before, and with my space trying to navigate something large doesn't seem to work.

I also looked at something unique for my planer, and the option is still there, but I'm moving away from it. I won't post the picture, but here's the link.

It's a really neat idea, but then I think I just took one of these apart to get rid of it. Harbor Freight makes a bit more square one that might work, but it still seems a bit flimsy. I think I'll be making a low, wide cart for it, with the interior of it being for undetermined storage. Depending on what the final height turns out to be, it's conceivable the shop vac and separator could fit underneath. It might be tight though. And if I can get to it otherwise, I could put the sander on a platform or shelf over where that will park. Still have to look at where the heights will be on everything, and I'm not sure it would work.

Also brainstorming about how to attach my WorkSharp, future grinder, etc.

Comment

• Cochese
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2010

Didn't have enough 3/4 ply around to work with, so I decided to do a design experiment with all of this MDF I had lying around. I love the height, I wouldn't want it any lower. Right now I could out a plastic tub in each cubby, or a couple of hard cases. Not quite tall enough for the DC stuff by about two inches. Didn't think to check if the sander would fit.

The unfortunate thing is that I really can't put anything on the wall above it as a working station, as far as I can currently see: too high. The detailing cabinets I still need to make obviously could, but I have at least a temporary solution to that.

I hate working with MDF, and I was reminded tonight. Dust everywhere, even doing everything outside.

Comment

Working...