• Show
Clear All
  • TCOTTLE
    Established Member
    • May 2009
    • Greenbush Maine
    • Ryobi BT3000

Lumber rack

This is my 1st major shop related project.
    I have been working on it over a few months as I have had time, but I am pretty happy with the results.
    I have attached a link to the photobucket album.
    Workshop Album
    I have 2 x 4s attacked to the 2 x 6 studs via 6" lag bolts, 4 per vertical member.
    There is a footer attached behind the plywood that you cannot see, attached with 4.5" lags at each stud, it is flat against the wall rather than on edge.
    There is black iron pipe in 7/8" holes at 5 degrees 2.5 inches deep.
    These pipes are surrounded by PVC sleeves.
    I have to just make my pivoting plywood rack, but I wanted to take some pics of the current progress.
    Thanks for looking, and you engineers, please tell me my wall is not going to collapse
  • BadeMillsap
    • Dec 2005
    • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
    • Grizzly G1023SL

Looks good to me!!!

Wish I had an empty wall for one .... someday ...
    "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
    Bade Millsap
    Bulverde, Texas
    => Bade's Personal Web Log
    => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• TCOTTLE
      Established Member
      • May 2009
      • Greenbush Maine
      • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks, just 3.5 more walls to finish - - if only there were more days off in the week. When the shop is all the way done, I will be unembarrassed to post before and after pics of the whole shop.

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

looks good to me.
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• woodturner
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2008
          • Western Pennsylvania
          • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by TCOTTLE
          Thanks for looking, and you engineers, please tell me my wall is not going to collapse
          That does NOT look like a BT3 in the photos with the saw !!!

Unfortunately, there are potential structural issues with this type of rack. The walls of the building are designed and sized to support the building and people load, not the additional weight of lumber. The brackets attached to the wall act like a lever and increase the force applied to the wall.

The common failure mode for this type of rack is that the wall gets pushed out at the bottom. Make sure your bottom plates are securely bolted to the foundation every 12" with at least 1/2" bolts.

The second most common failure mode is that the top plate is pulled in, causing the wall to collapse. Make sure the perpendicular walls are built correctly and have significant headers that span the distance with a single board.

As a practical matter, nearly any building will support 100 lbs or so of lumber on this type of rack. Beyond that, it depends on the building structure.

If you are concerned, I would carefully and accurately measure and record the deflection in the studs in a vertical orientation and the floor to ceiling height. Carefully inspect the top and bottom plates for any sign of strain or separation. Repeat these measurements every month, and watch for any sign of movement or changing dimensions. Usually the failures happen gradually over a fee months or years, until it reaches the "point of no return" and collapses.
          --------------------------------------------------
          Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• pelligrini
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • Fort Worth, TX
            • Craftsman 21829

Woodturner has some good valid points. I'm thinking you'll be ok though. It is an exterior wall and there should be holddowns from the foundation into the bottom plate already, probably not 12" O.C. though. It looks like the trusses run parallel to the rack wall. I think with the 2x6 exterior stud wall and an additional 2x4 wall deflection shouldn't happen. The moment generated from the pipe rack shouldn't be too much. The pipes don't look to be too long. 4 lag bolts for what appears to be a 10' stud height might be on the light side. I'm certainly no structural engineer though.
            Erik

Comment

• TCOTTLE
              Established Member
              • May 2009
              • Greenbush Maine
              • Ryobi BT3000

The 2 x 4's do not extend to the floor, but I might end up doing that, or making a triangular end brace.
              They are like this now

|__|__________|__|_________|__|______
              FULL 2 X 4, not dressed

There are 2 BT3K's, just out of the picture, I will post proof later .
              The Ridgid was just sitting there because I had to rip a fouled piece of 8/4 Maple, and my Ryobi is setup for crosscutting.
              Last edited by TCOTTLE; 07-15-2011, 12:08 PM. Reason: ruined ascii drawing

Comment

Working...