Where to move my shop to while doing the walls?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Where to move my shop to while doing the walls?

Okay, the big tasks I have left for my shop are...

#1. Rip down the sheet rock on the side and front walls.
    #2. Add sub panel and circuits.
    #3. Insulate the walls.
    #4. Re-Rock the walls and paint.
    #5. Epoxy coat the floor.

Obviously all the stuff that makes my shop, a shop just won't do sitting in the way there, stuff on the walls has to come down, the equipment needs to come off, even the DC ducting has to come out...

Now the big question is. Where on earth do I put all this stuff while I rework my shop? I can put up a temporary shed / tent in the back yard, but that would be FAR from secure. I am thinking of renting something like one of those PODS to pack everything into. But their largest POD is a 16 foot container. I am not sure if I can manage to get everything in that small of a space without damage.

Has anyone else here undertaken such a big emptying of their shop? Where did you store the stuff while say the floor was curing? I can probably scoot everything toward the middle of the shop while doing the walls, but the floor is going to be the big PITA...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Those pods aren't that cheap.

I'd be more inclined to do the shop floor in two steps, maybe the walls too. The subpanel and circuits might be problematic though. I'd try to move everything into a corner as compact as possible. Do the walls and then the floor that is clear, then move the stuff to the other side and finish the floor and walls. While moving the stuff to the other side I'd try to put most of it where it is supposed to end up. That would save me from moving it too many times unnecessarily.
    Erik

Comment

• Martin
      Established Member
      • Jun 2005
      • Carrollton, TX, USA.
      • BT3100; Antique Delta 8" tilting table

Where to store the shop during remodeling

My niece's family West of you in Roswell rented a semi trailer to store the house furniture during a major remodeling. It was parked on the property and could be locked.
      INDECISION IS THE KEY TO FLEXIBILITY

Comment

• Mr__Bill
        Veteran Member
        • May 2007
        • Tacoma, WA
        • BT3000

For secure storage renting a container for a month would be the way to go. There must be lots of them in your area and haulage should not be too bad. Just need a place to put it, and it's ground level too. After that a truck or box trailer would work well too, just have to know someone with one that can lend it too you.

Bill

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

That's the issue. I have a friend with a 20' tongue pull box trailer (20'x8'x8' I believe) that should be enough to cram it all in, BUT he has that trailer for his business, and can't be without it for a month...
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• sailor55330
            Established Member
            • Jan 2010

Look for a small storage unit. I just got a 10x10 for $60 for 30 days while I epoxy coated my garage floor. Trust me, you don't want to be shuffling while epoxy coating the floor. Way too involved.

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

I am thinking 10x10 would work IF I stacked things in just right. I am half tempted to buy a trailer, do the job, then sell the trailer...

Comment

• sailor55330
                Established Member
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by dbhost
                I am thinking 10x10 would work IF I stacked things in just right. I am half tempted to buy a trailer, do the job, then sell the trailer...
                Ok, reality check. Buy the trailer, spend $$$$, use it sparingly and gently, then go through the hassle of selling it for $$, if you are lucky. That doesn't include your time investment, plus you have to park it somewhere.

Not trying to convince you to use a storage unit, but unless you have a need for a large enclosed trailer, it doesn't seem logical to buy and sell just for storage.

Not to hijack the thread, but you definitely don't want to try and stack in a corner while you epoxy the floor. It involves power washing, degreasing, and acid etching--all so you can paint the floor with something that has the consistency of white glue. Trust me--you only want to mess with that stuff one time (I just finished mine today and almost which I hadn't due to the headache and the challenge of getting it to look right)

Comment

• spalding10
                  Handtools only
                  • Jun 2011

Cheapest thing to do is buy a couple of big tarps and lay them down in the back yard and over your tools in a corner of the yard so no one sees them.

Or other option is to rent the pod. Other than that I'm not sure what else you could do.

I just got done epoxying my garage floor with rustolum and 3 months ago and it looks amanzing (make sure to also buy the protector kit it makes it shiny), when I did it I put all my stuff in the back yard with tarps and locked both gates and it was fine. The epoxy alone if you do it right with take from start to finish about 3-4 days so think about that if you plan on renting a pod.

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

That is why I was only half tempted... The bigger problem would be storing it while I try to sell it... There is a self store place not too far away from me... I just don't cherish the thought of moving all my equipment around twice. It could be worse. I could have a cabniet saw, full floor model planer and jointer, drum sander etc...

I think I really need to borrow my friend's trailer long enough to move my stuff into storage.... I won't move stuff until I am fully ready, and I have the permits etc... I have the electrician coming by next weekend I believe it is, we are going to map out where we are going with this, THEN we can get a time table...

Comment

• atgcpaul
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2003
                      • Maryland
                      • Grizzly 1023SLX

I'm voting for the Pod or something like it. If you don't have a full time job and are home most of the day, you could probably finish all that in a month. But if you do work, I think you're going to find it's going to take longer than that and then your friend is going to be out a trailer for longer. The Pod might be more but it's definitely your most convenient option. No friend to impose on. No stuff to haul to an offsite location. Nothing to sell off when you're done.

Comment

• LarryG
                        The Full Monte
                        • May 2004
                        • Off The Back
                        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I agree on the Pod or similar. When I unexpectedly lost the use of my rented shop building two years ago, I moved everything to a storage complex just one mile down the road from my house. MAJOR undertaking and major hassle.

As something of an aside, consider recovering the walls with shiplap siding, plywood, or even 3/4" OSB instead of gypsum board, unless your local codes insist on the last (usually only required for walls common to the house). Much more durable, and you can hang stuff pretty much anywhere.
                        Larry

Comment

• dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by LarryG
                          I agree on the Pod or similar. When I unexpectedly lost the use of my rented shop building two years ago, I moved everything to a storage complex just one mile down the road from my house. MAJOR undertaking and major hassle.

As something of an aside, consider recovering the walls with shiplap siding, plywood, or even 3/4" OSB instead of gypsum board, unless your local codes insist on the last (usually only required for walls common to the house). Much more durable, and you can hang stuff pretty much anywhere.
                          I already talked to the inspector and the code enforcement office about wall materials. Since the wall studs are shared with the walls of the house, as is the roofing, I MUST have a fire break material for the walls (I.E. sheet rock).

Comment

• atgcpaul
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2003
                            • Maryland
                            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Extra work and money, but can you put OSB under the drywall?

Comment

• dbhost
                              Slow and steady
                              • Apr 2008
                              • League City, Texas
                              • Ryobi BT3100

Not sure. Hadn't thought of that. The requirement is for a fire resistant barrier wall covering on all walls connected to the dwelling structure. The city reads that as meaning ANY interior wall in ANY part of the building. I.E. if the shop was in a detached garage, I would be free to do just OSB, but since it is attached I am required to separate the interior space with drywall. Having said that, I don't see how say 1/2" OSB under that drywall would be any different from say having studs behind the drywall...

Comment

Working...