So I thought I had everything worked out in my shop when I moved in. I
    wired all my 220s and 110s, etc, but today I picked up a free 30gallon air
    compressor with less than 20 hours of use today (stealth gloat). The
    compressor can be 220 or 110 but I think it's currently setup for 110. Only
    my 110V DC stands alone on its own circuit. Even my TS and BS share a 220V
    circuit.

I want to run a dedicated circuit to this compressor (plenty of space in my
    shop sub panel) but I'm not sure how to approach this one. I put OSB on the
    walls of the shop so I can't simply use a drywall keyhole saw to get access to
    my panel. I'll probably surface mount the conduit. Should I remove the
    sheet of OSB to run the circuit to my panel?

It is already wired for 110V but can do 220V. Should I switch it? I don't use
    a lot of air tools in my shop, but this compressor will be great for HVLP.

Thanks,
    Paul
    Last edited by atgcpaul; 06-10-2011, 06:17 AM. Reason: Wrong voltage on saws
  • jdon
    Established Member
    • Feb 2010
    • Snoqualmie, Wash.
    • BT3100

I assume the panel box is recessed into the wall. If you're planning on using Romex, you need to secure it to a stud within a foot of boxes (IIRC), so you probably need to remove the OSB surrounding it, or cut a hole in the OSB about a foot from the panel to gain access to a stud. Same goes for the outlet end of the circuit, though you could gain access through the cutout for the outlet.

To me, sounds like an ideal application for the HF multitool. The blades have a very thin kerf, and will slice through OSB like butter, and should be easy to patch.

If you need to have a relatively long horizontal run, and need to drill through multiple studs (rather than running cable up, through top plate, over, and down to outlet, surface wiring sounds easier. I think surface wiring has the potential of creating obstacles to design problems down the road (e.g. hanging cabinets), so all things being equal, I prefer wiring hidden in the wall. Just one guy's opinion, and worth every cent you paid for it.

BTW, great pick up on the compressor! congrats.

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by atgcpaul
      I put OSB on the walls of the shop so I can't simply use a drywall keyhole saw to get access to my panel. I'll probably surface mount the conduit. Should I remove the sheet of OSB to run the circuit to my panel?
      I'd probably remove the sheathing, but when I go to cover it back up I'd make it removable around the panel. It would make future changes easier when they come up again.
      Erik

Comment

• Charlie R
        Forum Newbie
        • Jun 2007

If your compressor is stationary I'd wire it 220V as its cheaper to run. If it has wheels I'd leave it 110V in case you need it outside to power an air hammer, pump tires etc. Goodyear rubber air line stays flexible in cold weather, many other composition lines become stiff. Soon you will wonder how you ever got along without a compressor.

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Hmmm...hard to resist buying a new tool, but I think I'll just remove that OSB
          to access my panel and then put it back together with access panels cut at
          the top and bottom for the future. I think I will locate the new outlet close
          to the panel so my surface mount doesn't have to go too far.

Am I allowed to use the gray Sch40 for the conduit or does it have to run
          through metal? Am I allowed to put romex through conduit?

Something else I'm trying to wrap my head around...the wire will exit the
          electrical panel and then have to exit the OSB at which point the wire needs
          to be protected by conduit since it will be in the shop space. What is
          typically used at the junction of OSB/panelling to the outside? Do most people
          just drill a hole in the panel the OD of the conduit and then just push the
          conduit into the hole and push the wire through? Or should there be a metal
          junction box sitting over the hole in the panel, the wire enters the back of the
          box through a cable clamp and then exits the box to which conduit is connected?

I already have a smaller 5 gallon compressor but it doesn't put out enough CFM
          for spraying. I'm thinking of moving that to the house (shop is detached) and
          using the big boy in the shop. I have airtools but don't use them regularly as
          most of my projects don't need them so I'll probably keep it 110.

Comment

• LarryG
            The Full Monte
            • May 2004
            • Off The Back
            • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by atgcpaul
            What is typically used at the junction of OSB/panelling to the outside?
            Simplest solution is to run the conduit to a suitably high point on the wall, then drill a hole in the OSB an inch or two above the end of the conduit. Route the Romex out through the hole and turn it down into the conduit.

If you object to that couple of inches of Romex being exposed, then the junction box as you described is probably the way to go.
            Larry

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

I'd pull the OSB and run the electrical if at all possible. I hate exposed conduit. It gets in the way, and simply looks bad...
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• JR
                The Full Monte
                • Feb 2004
                • Eugene, OR
                • BT3000

I'm not an electrician, but IIRC the code calls for a junction box of some kind. I'd put a 4" box there, screwed to the OSB. You might be allowed to use one of those 90 degree conduit connectors that has a little removable plate as an alternative, but I'm not sure.

The code can be found on line in a number of places. It makes for some nice bed-time reading...

JR
                JR

Comment

• atgcpaul
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2003
                  • Maryland
                  • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by dbhost
                  I'd pull the OSB and run the electrical if at all possible. I hate exposed conduit. It gets in the way, and simply looks bad...
                  This might actually be simpler. Since I'll have the OSB off, I'll just install my
                  new outlet in the same exposed stud bay and cut another hole for it in the
                  OSB.

The compressor has a lengthy cord on it and I was going to keep it in this
                  general vicinity anyway.

KISS!

Comment

Working...