Why I hate having a shared space workshop.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Why I hate having a shared space workshop.

You guys that have a detached shop, dedicated ONLY as a shop, and no keys in the wife's possession probably don't ever see stuff like this in your shop...

Somehow she managed to put a bag of potting soil on top of my jointer while it was on the tool stacker...

I wonder if the city and HOA would notice if I built a 16x20 shed in the yard and ran power to it?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • charliex
    • Mar 2004
    • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
    • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

Ya gotta love em though.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Oh I'm not fussing about her. It was a space in the "garage" to her... I am fussing about the shared space nature of the shop...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

At least it wasn't manure.

I do understand, keeping all my tools locked up was by plan. I think I would have had to use them on someone if they weren't.
        Erik

Comment

• natausch
          Established Member
          • Aug 2009
          • Aurora, IL
          • BT3000 - 15A

Still easier/cheaper to build an unpowered 8x10 and agree that all outside items stay in it. My wife's car is the only non-woodworking thing allowed in the garage.

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by natausch
            Still easier/cheaper to build an unpowered 8x10 and agree that all outside items stay in it. My wife's car is the only non-woodworking thing allowed in the garage.
            For design simplicity / most efficient utilization of materials I have available I was actually thinking 8x12. A friend donated a dozen 4x4x12' PT timbers from an abandoned fencing job, 2x4x16 PT rails are easy to get, and I have a stack of PT 2x4x8 left over from my fence project. The only big expense part would be the siding, I want it to match the house, so it will most likely be Hardie Panel, and I think that stuff is still going for around $30.00 / sheet. I would need sheathing and vapor barrier as well. I figure with the material I have on hand, I should be able to get it done for less than $1,000.00 as long as the City doesn't permit fee me to death...

Comment

• JoeyGee
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2005
              • Sylvania, OH, USA.
              • BT3100-1

I have a shed for all "other outside stuff" but most still manages to migrate to the garage--to land near or ON my tools. I keep reminding myself it's my kids making the mess, and there will be a time in the not distant enough future that I will miss their messes .

Now, that doesn't help much when I am mopping bubble solution off my miter saw and stand...
              Joe

Comment

• nickg
                Established Member
                • Jul 2007
                • Marietta, Georgia
                • Ryobi BT3000

It seems that any horizontal surface is 'fair game' when it comes to setting something down on top of it. I've even been guilty of this one or twice myself
                Last edited by nickg; 04-09-2011, 08:14 PM.

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2006
                  • On the TARDIS
                  • BT 3100

Fortunately, LOML respects the garage/shop as my shop space and she never intrudes. LOML won't even search out screwdriver unless I am at home. Guess I'm just lucky that way. On the other side of the coin, I can only blame myself for the mess I find in there when I go to do some work.
                  From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• All Thumbs
                    Established Member
                    • Oct 2009
                    • Penn Hills, PA
                    • BT3K/Saw-Stop

I would retaliate. Maybe leave cutoffs or sawdust on the kitchen counters.

Comment

Working...