• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

The shop needs cleaning!

I'm not up on my forum rules so if this is a no-no, please let me know and I'll
    fix it.

Last summer we had a wind storm that knocked over the 100 yo spruce onto
    my shop. Not too much damage was done. My neighbor's walntu tree fell on
    the power lines. We struck a deal and the tree was mine.

The sawyer e-mailed me yesterday and said the boards are at 8% MC and
    in a week or two will be at 6%. It won't stay that way in my shop, but, oh
    well.

I need to figure out how to fit ~500-600bf of lumber into my shop. I didn't
    think the wood would be ready so fast! Yikes! I'm not ready! I've spent less
    than a day's worth of time in there since our daughter was born 8 months
    ago.

At least LOML realizes now that I need to spend the weekend cleaning the
    shop so I can room for all this wood. Bless her heart!

Paul
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Simple, ship it to me and let me store it for you. I will make a way to store it. In my shop, in the attic, whatever...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• RDavidP
      Forum Newbie
      • Jan 2011
      • Maryland

Hey, I live in Maryland too, so it would be easy for you to store it at my place, but I may have to alter it slightly. It can be stored as a new dinning table for my dinning room, more wine racks for my cellar. The wife wants a china cabinet plus a new coffee table.... All sorts of ways for me to store that lumber if I get creative.

Comment

• gsmittle
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004
        • St. Louis, MO, USA.
        • BT 3100

What the other guys said! I'd be happy to store some of it for you as a couple of desks…

g.
        Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
        Bill & Ted

Comment

• RAFlorida
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2008
          • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
          • Ryobi BT3000

I love BT3Central!

All these people coming out of the woodwork (this is NOT meant to be a snipe, just a pun) to help a fellow woodwork store his lumber! Anyway sir, I can store your lumber as a entertainment center for you, and I will not charge.

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

The sawyer said today my lumber is dry and expects me to pick up soon. He
            wanted me there tomorrow but I need to make room first. Anyway, one way or another, room will be made tomorrow and maybe I can pickup a few loads
            on Sunday. I have a lot of work ahead if ya'll remember what a disaster area
            my shop was before. This is probably the motivation I needed to finally
            clean.

I have no idea how I'm going to process all this wood in a timely manner. I
            really hope 50 years from now, I'm not looking down from my perch in the
            clouds at my kids' ad in Craiglist about their dad's 50 year old walnut stash.

RDavidP, what part of Maryland are you in?

Comment

• pelligrini
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • Fort Worth, TX
              • Craftsman 21829

Do you have a covered porch where you can stash it until you get your shop straightened out? Is this the walnut tree that was endangering your shop, forcing it to become a part time garage again?

Have you considered a mobile cart for the storage? Maybe even just a couple HF furniture dollys.
              Erik

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by pelligrini
                Do you have a covered porch where you can stash it until you get your shop straightened out? Is this the walnut tree that was endangering your shop, forcing it to become a part time garage again?

Have you considered a mobile cart for the storage? Maybe even just a couple HF furniture dollys.
                That is correct. This is the same tree that dropped walnuts on our car to the point that when I traded in the car, the dealer thought it was hail damage. I've got my revenge now!

The lumber has gone through a dehumidification kiln and is at 6% MC. I know it's not going to stay that way in the shop but at least I'll keep the rain off. A tarp or covering, as you suggested, would do it, but a) I'd have to move the pile again and b) what I didn't mention is that there's 75+bf of white oak that's air drying outside behind the shop already. Yes, I have a problem.

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

You trade in cars?

What a concept! I drive the things until they are about 15 - 25 years old and then sell them to some high school kid needing wheels... Or they get totalled for me...

Let's see, 1976 Toyota Celica, wrecked and sold in Tucson in 1994 (okay only 18 years old). (Drunk ran across the median on the freeway right in front of me).
                  1965 Volkswagen Westfalia microbus sold in Tucson in 1994 (we were moving to Texas and had too many cars. This was a restoration project I never completed).
                  1978 International Harvester Scout 2 sold in Houston in 1996 (STUPID mistake to get rid of that truck!)
                  1983 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. Totalled in Houston in 1996, I should have kept the Scout! T boned in downtown Houston, again, a drunk driver got me.
                  1984 Jeep CJ7 sold in Houston in 1999. Rust bucket, glad to get rid of it and its problems.
                  2000 Ford Ranger Trailhead. Totalled in Houston in 2006.
                  Current stable consists of 2004 Ford F150 4x4, and 2001 Saturn SL2. Neither of which I am anywhere near getting rid of...
                  Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2003
                    • Maryland
                    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by dbhost
                    You trade in cars?

What a concept!
                    That was actually my first car, a 2000 Nissan Sentra. It ran great but the AC leaked and the car was small. We wanted something bigger for the new baby. Good thing, too, because we have another on the way

Anyway, the floor was cleared today and the first 300bf is sitting on stickers. The rest will be picked up tomorrow. Pics to follow.

Comment

• gsmittle
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2004
                      • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                      • BT 3100

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                      We wanted something bigger for the new baby. Good thing, too, because we have another on the way
                      I hear they figured out what causes that…

g.
                      Smit

Bill & Ted

Comment

• atgcpaul
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2003
                        • Maryland
                        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by gsmittle
                        I hear they figured out what causes that…

g.

Trust me, we know all about it. After trying for over 2 years to conceive, we
                        eventually got a little assistance. That's why we were so surprised that this
                        one happened so soon and out of the blue. I guess the first kid was a
                        trailblazer, so to speak.

Comment

• gsmittle
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2004
                          • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                          • BT 3100

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                          Trust me, we know all about it. After trying for over 2 years to conceive, we
                          eventually got a little assistance. That's why we were so surprised that this
                          one happened so soon and out of the blue. I guess the first kid was a
                          trailblazer, so to speak.
                          Congratulations, Paul. You're in for a treat. Two kids are way more fun than one. Enjoy!

g.
                          Smit

Bill & Ted

Comment

Working...