• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ElRay
    Established Member
    • Jan 2003
    • NoIL

HF DC & Thien Baffle: Blow or Suck?

I have the HF 2hp DC and I'm planning on setting it up with a Thien Baffle and Wynn Cartridge. The question is do I set it up as intended and let the blower blow through the separator and the cartridge, or do I change it up so the blower sucks through the baffle and exhausts through the cartridge? I'd prefer the latter, especially if I add a floor sweep, so that nails, bigger chunks, etc. fall out before hitting the impeller. Anybody who's tried both? Any thoughts in general?

Ray
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
    --- Robert A. Heinlein
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

If I understand your query you want input about the following configurations with a Thein baffle...

#1. Blow Through. I.E. baffle mounted in the inlet ring, so that dust and debris goes into the lower bag of the DC, and stays clear of the filter, more or less.
    #2. Suck through. I.E. a pre separator in line before the dust collector.

I have done both. I started with the baffle in the inlet ring. The first time I knocked a knot loose and sucked it into my impeller convinced me to NOT use this configuration. It sounded like a gun going off in my shop!

The pre separator has advantages, and disadvantages, the most notable disadvantages are the addition of the elbows used to get air in and out of the thing, this can be radically reduced by building your separator with a side inlet, and having the impeller housing directly over the separator such as can be done with a Delta 50-760.

My solution is similar, but not exact. I have a Harbor Freight 2HP DC, that is set on a riser stand, so that I have a VERY short piece of hose, with very gentle bends connecting the DC to the separator. My separator is a 55 gallon plastic open head drum, and I am running side inlet, with 5" ports on both sides. (which has a wye to connect 2 4" lines to it). It is VERY effective. I have been running this configuration now for I guess 4 months, and haven't had more than a cup of dust and debris make it to the lower bag on the DC.,..
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• ElRay
      Established Member
      • Jan 2003
      • NoIL

Originally posted by dbhost
      #1. Blow Through. I.E. baffle mounted in the inlet ring, so that dust and debris goes into the lower bag of the DC, and stays clear of the filter, more or less.
      #2. Suck through. I.E. a pre separator in line before the dust collector.
      I'm thinking more of a 1.5. Mount the baffle in the inlet ring, but rig the blower horizontally above the inlet ring. Basically, I'd be making a Thien Baffle for under the inlet ring and an adapter plate for above the ring. Then the blower would discharge out the side into a "box" that would hold the Wynn Cartridge.
      I have done both. I started with the baffle in the inlet ring. The first time I knocked a knot loose and sucked it into my impeller convinced me to NOT use this configuration. It sounded like a gun going off in my shop!
      Exactly. Add to that the fact that my "shop" is the garage and if I use a floor sweep, who knows what nuts (both vegetable & mineral), rocks, etc. would be hitting the impeller.
      ... the most notable disadvantages are the addition of the elbows used to get air in and out of the thing, this can be radically reduced by building your separator with a side inlet, and having the impeller housing directly over the separator...
      Yup, that's the plan. I also have to think of a good way to avoid sucking the bag into the baffle/impeller. That's not an issue when you're blowing everything through the DC.

Ray
      "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
      --- Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

I think there's a thread on Phil's forum you will want to check out...
        HERE.

My only fuss with that arrangement is the top inlet, a side inlet into the separator would work better / fewer bends...

If I understand what you propose correctly, I wouldn't do it. I would think you'd suck up the lower bag in a hurry...

FWIW, A pending project for me is to rig my HF DC / Thien setup similar to the pictured. I will probably end up mounting my compressor up on a shelf, and put the DC down low...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...