• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Shop Progress pics...

Before, the east wall. I had power tools, and misc hardware, router bits etc, as far away from where I was using them as I could put them.

After, the space was cleared off, and reused for the lumber storage area. The rack is Closetmaid heavy duty closet shelf hardware that was being clearanced out by my local Lowes. I figure I have less than $25.00 in that hardware...

Before, dangerously leaning rickety flimsy plastic racks house tons of stuff that doesn't really need to be in my shop.

After, the space was cleared out, the overhead shelf for the hand tool storage has been moved here, as has the router bit cabinet. A single heavy duty shelving unit houses various non WW related items, as well as chemicals and finishes. This is NOT the final arrangement, but works for now as I have no children...

Before, the giant green space sucker that is my canoe has taken up too much space, and been too hard to get in and out of the shop to want to use it regularly.

After, the Grizzly G0572 Hanging Air Filter with remote is proudly mounted up doing its job. No canoe in the way here!

From this angle you can also see most (not all) of the shop lights that have been mounted up. There is one "extra" in the middle of the ceiling that has yet to be unmounted.

If you look closely at the bottom edge of the picture, you can also see the top panels of the rollup doors, both featuring the radiant barrier foam board insulation... VERY nice addition to my shop!

I have a ways to go before I am settled in to the new configuration, but these are the HUGE things. I still have a LOT of misc junk to clean out, and DC ducting to run, not to mention electrical... But I am getting a LOT happier with the results these days!
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

Good job, DB, now come over to my place and help me make sense of my garage! How big is the shop? I am thinking about doing the lighting too and was curious about your square footage. All the calculators are telling me to do 9-12 fixtures. I was thinking of doing 9 like you did. How is the illumination now?
    Thanks
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

It measures 20' deep x 18' wide, with a 5.5' wide by 2.5' deep nook in the back, 8.5' high ceilings....

I have calculated it out to something like 374 square feet.

I haven't looked at any calculators, just noticed that in almost every commercial installation I have seen the fixtures are 4' apart, which is where mine are.

Illumination in the shop is really good, I am very happy with it except on the lathe, which will get one of those snake neck lamps...

I have a lot more to do. But I need to rest up the back some more. I have a lot of equipment to move, and DC ducting to install...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• chopnhack
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Florida
        • Ryobi BT3100

Very cool, DB, I am about the same size. I think when I come into some money, I will cut and past
        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

What did you do with the canoe? I've got one hanging in my shop, too, except mine is red.

Looking good, BTW

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

The canoe, a tarp, some bungee cords, and a pair of old sawhorses went out into the back yard along with a heavy duty bicycle lock. It's all cabled to a hoop I embedded into the concrete for the fence post...

Comment

Working...