• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Shop progress even with a bad back...

Okay so I have had to slow WAY down, and perform my tasks with some help which I am not used to. But I have had some progress to report on my shop.

Not much, but it beats nothing.

#1. The Grizzly G0572 is mounted, and plugged in. The power cord needs to be ceiling attached using some sort of cable clips and screws, or run in conduit. I will figure that part out... I got a chance to run the filter and test the timer out. now mind you, my filter is run on the switched circuit, so once the power to the lights is cut off, the power to the air cleaner is cut off, and any set timer becomes unset. Likewise, I have noted that each time the lights are turned on, the air filter comes on. This is not objectionable as I typically let it run about 15 minutes prior to me entering the shop... The air is notably cleaner now. I am very happy with this.

#2. I have removed a full 64 gallon trash can of various cut offs, scrap sheet rock, spilled conrete, and I don't want to know what else... This is buying me back, finally some floor space. I have so far to go, and given a healthy back, this would have been done weeks ago...

#3. In order to get my floor space back, I have started cutting the panels for insulation on the second garage door. I am anxious to get these installed as I am more than a little anxious to be done with this process. Again, floor space, and insulation are both good things...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

FWW just did a review of hanging air filters. In a follow-up reader response,
    it was suggested that these filters not be hung more than 8' off the ground
    (mine is because I have tall ceilings), and that it be hung closer to the wall
    rather than directly over a workarea in the middle of the shop so that dust
    and air can circulate like a racetrack. The reader worked at some air
    filtration institute so his info sounds credible.

I'm thinking about reposition my Jet based on this.

Paul

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

My ceiling is 8' 6" high, so the top of my filter is 1.5" lower than that, and the machine is 15" tall. So it is a little over 7' to the bottom of my unit. It is reasonably close to the wall, and aimed so as to cause a circular air flow in my shop, and I can feel that air flow when running this machine. Even on low. The added benefit here is that it moves heated / cooled air throughout the shop, which should help eliminate hot / cold spots.

The big trash cart comes back in to the shop tonight hopefully. I will be BBQ-ing, and shop cleaning. I ABSOLUTELY have got to pace myself though. I went yesterday most of the day without the meds to sort of see where I was in my healing process. I was fine until I tried climbing into bed.. That is when I noticed I was still hurting...

I am being selective of what hits the curb as far as cutoffs goes. I am keeping larger cutoffs of plywood, and almost everything that is hardwood of any sort. Construction grade lumber, OSB, things of that nature are getting out of here as they are simply taking up space... I am also pitching a bunch of old, warped too thin to mill the warp out cedar as well. Combine that with way too many old beer bottles, and heaven only knows what else... To come this far forward, I had to go so far back. It is truly sad...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by dbhost
        I am being selective of what hits the curb as far as cutoffs goes. I am keeping larger cutoffs of plywood, and almost everything that is hardwood of any sort. Construction grade lumber, OSB, things of that nature are getting out of here as they are simply taking up space... I am also pitching a bunch of old, warped too thin to mill the warp out cedar as well. Combine that with way too many old beer bottles, and heaven only knows what else... To come this far forward, I had to go so far back. It is truly sad...
        I'm getting there, too. I had two big projects this summer that left me with
        a bazillion offcuts and slivers that I wasn't dealing with. I knew I was never
        going to make cutting boards and if I ever do segmented turning, there will
        always be more scraps to use. All the hardwood (mostly walnut) went into
        a burn box. The scraps of OSB and ply under 2'x2' went out with the trash.

This weekend my family and I sat on the patio and had a little bonfire with the
        scrap wood (not ply).

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

I am real tempted to do that. But I don't have enough land to safely do that, and I have tried burning off the pine in my smoker before. Let me advise anyone that thinks that might be a good idea, it isn't... I had to strip the smoker down using LOTS of oven cleaner, to bare metal, and re season it to get rid of the pine resin... NASTY.

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

More progress last night. Feeling okay now. Not great, but okay. Got the foam board insulation installed on the second overhead door, I was starting to hurt, so I kind of rushed things a little bit, and ended up tearing some of the reflective backing. I will probably end up foil taping the parts I tore just to protect them...

I have a good deal more progress in the cleanup area as well. I have about half of another 64 gallon roll away trash cart tossed out, with more on the way.

I am at the point now I am starting to find long lost tools like, the table saw under the piles of misc stuff. I took the opportunity to realign my rip fence. I am not sure exactly how, but I managed to get the fence WAY out of alignment, and it was pinching toward the back of the blade. That is BAD news... Now with the realignment, the saw cuts great!

For the time being, once the misc junk is cleaned off the floor. I get to clean up the workbenches. I have handheld tool storage that needs to go where it belongs, which means I need to add the overhead shelf to the 8' long bench along the north wall. This will end up being a miter station as well, so it will be time, soon, for me to install the uprights and build that shelf, drop the center of the bench top etc... That of course, will cut in to my peg board space... Ugh. So much to do, so little time...

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Okay I will piggy back on to this thread for those interested...

Over the weekend, I managed to trade positions between my Thien Cyclone and the Craftsman rolling tool box, so that I now have the dust bin directly next to th plumbing locations for my DC system.

I have also yanked the 4" ports off of the Thien rig, and installed a 5" outfeed port, the infeed port is going side inlet, and is partially done. I need to do some more trimming, and then finally screw it in place, and seal it with some silicone caulk.

I am looking forward to having the dust collection finally hooked up right. This is a MAJOR step in the right direction for my shop. However it sure doesn't look like it if you look at my shop. The floor is pretty much fully occupied... I MUST change that SOON...

Comment

Working...