• Show
Clear All
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Bandsaw table mod

I wanted to add fence rails to my bandsaw for my scrap-made fence, and decided while I was making those, I might as well see about increasing the table surface area. The fence rails, made from scrap maple, are a bit longer left and right of the table, and allow for a couple auxiliary tables that sit on brackets (and are thus removable for operations requiring table tilting and blade changing.) The auxiliary tables are made from scrap melamine edge banded with scrap red oak.

This turned my 16x16 table into 27x18. Thanks for looking.
    Attached Files
    Bill in Buena Park
  • tommyt654
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2008

Nice job, that will go a long way cutting larger pieces I suspect.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

nice table.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Nicely done Bill. Now if you get into re-saw you have to figure a way to get support going front to back if you do any large carcass. Adding tables for that permanently takes up to much room when you are maxed out on space so... if I may suggest the Ridgid flip top stands if you run into this problem.

Thet work for me on the long re-saws on the occasion I do them and I use them on the TS.. jointer and planer when the occasion arises so 2-4 of them are very useful to have around.

Well done...

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2007
          • Buena Park, CA
          • CM 21829

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Sarge, thanks for the thought on the Ridgid flip-tops; I am interested in added infeed/outfeed support, and was toying with the idea of some hinged drop-leaf type tables...
          Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Originally posted by Bill in Buena Park
            Thanks for the kind words guys.

Sarge, thanks for the thought on the Ridgid flip-tops; I am interested in added infeed/outfeed support, and was toying with the idea of some hinged drop-leaf type tables...
            If you do that Bill.. you won't have a problem on the out-feed side but.. don't make it to wide on the in-feed side. Keep in mind you generally stand just to left of blade with your right arm aligned with it to guide the stock. Well... if you are a righty anyway. Too wide will intefere severely with your guide arm and sight line.

Any support on the in-feed side is going to create a compromise with that factor but.. you really need support when you are working with long stock as things an easily get out of hand especially with heavy hard-wood. I would suggest the majority of width right of blade facing which gives support and allows you closer to the sight line on the right. And the majority of time with re-saw you are working with the board on edge to the mass is close to center of blade anyway. Few rip with the BS and this info would be more critical to those that do.

Good luck with your decision...

Comment

• Tom Clark
              Forum Newbie
              • Jul 2007
              • Deming, NM
              • Powermatic 66 w/48" sliding table

outfeed

Bill,

Nice table addition.

Years ago I needed a larger table as I was cutting odd shaped pieces of plywood up to 40x40", and even with a helper it was an awkward thing to do. I just took a piece of ply, covered it with laminate, and have been using it ever since.

When I had to rip a few hundred 8' curved ribs for an observatory dome, I just put a small shop cart behind the saw, and made a simple auxiliary table, clamped it down, and it worked great. I have even used it again a few times over the years.
              Attached Files

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Table looks good, nice work. If you need infeed/outfeed support, HF has these stands on sale. They fold up for out of the way storage.

Comment

• jackellis
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2003
                  • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                  • BT3100

HF has these stands on sale.
                  I have two and would not buy them again. Too cheaply made. They don't stay upright easily and one tends to collapse. I may build new stands and just keep the roller heads.

Comment

Working...