• Show
Clear All
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Plane Storage & Display

How are you guys handling your hand plane storage? I know a few of you have a good collection. I'd really like to hear from Pappy as I know he has many and his shop space is very similar to mine.

I've got a very limited amount of space in my 10x12 shop. I've currently placed my planes inside my pegboard door cabinets that use the stud space above my bench. Except for my Stanley/Bailey #8. It ended up on it's side on a shelf below because of the 24" length. I'm running out of room and I'm sure there will be more to fit in there soon. I tried putting the #8 on the outside of the door, but it really messed up the layout of my other tools, especially when the hand saws had to move.
    Attached Files
    Erik
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Wow, that's a nice collection of planes!

All I've got is a #4 and a couple of block planes. They sit on 4" peg hooks on my pegboard. Not dissimilar to your setup. But you pulled it off in a much more attractive manner.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LarryG
      The Full Monte
      • May 2004
      • Off The Back
      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

As you may recall, I'm currently shop-challenged. When I'm not, my small planes (blocks, shoulder, routers) and #80 cabinet scraper sit on a narrow shelf incorporated into the hand tool rack over the workbench. My spokeshaves hang on hooks on the same rack. My smoother, jacks, and jointer sit on the bottom shelf of the workbench.

All of which adds up to a rather poor system. Being out in the open, these tools are prone to rusting; the shelf on the rack is getting crowded; the bench planes are taking up space on the lower shelf of the bench that could be put to better use. So on the to-do list, when the new shop is up and running, is to build a plane storage cabinet that will hang on the wall in the Hand Work / Assembly room.
      Larry

Comment

• Hoover
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2003
        • USA.

I will put off any plane storage plans until after our move from we$tern Wa$hington to eastern Idaho. My planes are currently boxed up and waiting for redeployment.
        No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• phrog
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2005
          • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by Hoover
          I will put off any plane storage plans until after our move from we$tern Wa$hington to eastern Idaho. My planes are currently boxed up and waiting for redeployment.
          Planes ....... redeployment ...... I've tuned in to the Military Channel.
          Richard

Comment

• Hoover
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2003
            • USA.

Yes once you leave the military, not all of the jargon goes away
            No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

Obvioously we are talking about users, not displays. For now, my storage solution is simple. The lower shelf of one cabinet holds bench planes up to a #6. To keep the irons off the shelf I cut 'steps' in a piece of thin ply. Each 'step' stops just foward of the mouth of the plane when the toe touches the back of the cabinet. With the palnes set up 6/5/4/3 left to right there is open shelf space to the right in front of the shorter planes. A variety of block and specialty planes sit on their sides on thes area.

My # 7 and #8 Jointers lay on their sides on top of the back cabinet.

Display planes are in my work room in the house. The irons are retracted so they can set flat on a shelf.

I like the way yours are set up with the exception of the ones on the bottom shelves. There needs to be a spacer under the sole to keep the iron from touching the shelf. You may have this and I just can't see it in the pictures. The other option is to keep the iron retracted when in storage, but I find that to be a PITA.
              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
              Fools because they have to say something.
              Plato

Comment

• pelligrini
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • Fort Worth, TX
                • Craftsman 21829

The irons are just retracted right now on that #7 and the ones on the other side. I had some 1/8" spacers out of hardboard, but the dogs thought they needed some new toys and they grabbed them when they were sitting down on a chair while I was rearranging for the most recent aquisition.

I've considered doing some storage that would put them all on their sides with the soles against the back. I could probably get the most density going that route, but I haven't figured out a workable solution to accomodate the depth of the needed. I tried loosing that door that my frequent users are behind, but I hated where my saws and squares ended up.
                Erik

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Mine sit on an open wooden rack. I put pieces of self adhesive felt on the base in two points so the planes sit up for air to circulate under and not have to raise the iron. I wax them with Renaissance Wax. I'm in the shop almost every day so easy enough to keep an eye out for rust. I simply want them where I can grab them quickly while standing at the bench.

Comment

• pelligrini
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2007
                    • Fort Worth, TX
                    • Craftsman 21829

I hadn't thought about the felt. I've got a mess of some of the self adhesive green stuff.
                    Erik

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Originally posted by pelligrini
                      I hadn't thought about the felt. I've got a mess of some of the self adhesive green stuff.
                      1/2" -5/8" strips will suffice... just wide enough to get the plane base up but not to wide so the maximum amount of base iron is exposed to air circulation. I shift the plane position slightly every couple of days so the area of base that was on the felt is exposed even though the felt will breathe somewhat.

Comment

Working...