• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gjat
    • Nov 2005
    • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
    • BT3100

Workbench (collapsible) plans needed.

I've finally gotten tired of screwing a half sheet of plywood on two old sawhorses as a temporary/portable workbench. I recall seeing (don't know if it was a mag or here) a portable workbench that was relativly substantial, but the top folded down and it could roll away. I have enclosed a 1 car section of a 3 car gargage. The shop is mostly tool storage and working on minor things, but I need a decent bench to set up to use the planer, sander, drill press and assembly in the larger garage area. Anybody have something t hat works or remembers the thread or article. (yes, I tred searching workbench). I may even be willing to build substantial sawhorses that stack and put a torsion top on it that can be knocked down.
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

I'd be inclined to still use the sawhorses, but build a top that is better than a sheet of ply. The reason is when the top is not there the saw-horses do double duty as, well, sawhorses. My first 'shop' was a 10x12 shed that I used mostly to store tools. I worked outside as much as I could and my bench was sawhorses and a flat-panel door. I would get a door. Ready-made torsion box and it is light and easy to handle.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• toolbelt diva
      Established Member
      • Oct 2004
      • Houston, TX, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3100-1

There was a nice one posted here: http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=6356 that I was thinking about making, but the pics are gone now. I also found the plans for it for sale online, but can't remember where or find my shortcut. One of the other members may know...

Just did a search and found another one: http://www.rd.com/18265/article18265.html
      Rita

Comment

• Mr__Bill
        Veteran Member
        • May 2007
        • Tacoma, WA
        • BT3000

I was looking a while back and saw something like what you are looking for. However I have no idea where I saw it. But, I do remember what it looked like. The top was a torsion box, lets say it was 3' by 6'. The support was a cabinet of about 16" by 6' that had gate legs on the back. The torsion box was hindged to the cabinet in about the center of the box. You tilted the box from the vertical to horizontal and swung the gate legs out to support it. It folded down by moving the legs back in, they tucked under a bit, and tilting the top up. This halved the depth the table took up but was still rather big. The cabinet and gate legs had casters so you could roll it about both folded up and set up.

Another simply had a base made of 1x4 on edge, the sides folded in to collapse the rectangle, rather like how a paper bag folds flat. The top was a torsion box that just seemed to set on top, perhaps something held it. Folded up it was 4 thicknesses of 1x4 and 4 thicknesses of 1/4 ply, used to gusset the joints, for a total of about 5". Plus the thickness of the top.

I know it's not very helpful but it may spark a memory in someone who has a link to something that is helpful.

Bill
        Confusion is best when shared.

Comment

• toolbelt diva
          Established Member
          • Oct 2004
          • Houston, TX, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3100-1

FOUND IT! Drop-leaf mobile workbench:

Plan for sale:
          Drop-Leaf Workbench, Woodworking Plans, Workshop & Jigs, Workbenches, WOOD Issue 72, September 1994, 1994, Intermediate

Plan viewable on Google books:
          One type of workshop may not suit every woodworker--after all, a turner has different needs than a furniture maker--but one guide is just right for telling every woodworker how to set up the perfect shop. Wood Magazine provides ideal standards for work flow, machine space, electric power, lighting, ventilation, dust control, and other factors. More than 250 well-illustrated pages present advice on choosing the right space, checking for adequate electricity, customizing a room, heating systems, security in the shop, noise protection, and eyewear options. Plus, there's coverage of workbenches, from drop-lead to full service; stools, stands, and supports; shop cabinet craftsmanship; special storage needs; and easy racks, holders, and organizers. A Selection of the F & W Book Club.
          Rita

Comment

• gjat
            • Nov 2005
            • BT3100

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
            Another simply had a base made of 1x4 on edge, the sides folded in to collapse the rectangle, rather like how a paper bag folds flat. The top was a torsion box that just seemed to set on top, perhaps something held it. Folded up it was 4 thicknesses of 1x4 and 4 thicknesses of 1/4 ply, used to gusset the joints, for a total of about 5". Plus the thickness of the top.

I know it's not very helpful but it may spark a memory in someone who has a link to something that is helpful.

Bill
            Confusion is best when shared.
            I think that is what I remember too. I don't want the joints in the drop leaf, but that may work for storage. What I remember is more of a 1/2 drop leaf with no cabinet, kinda like 1/2 a ping-pong table. I want it to be stable, without wheels touching, unless it's set up.

Comment

• JR
              The Full Monte
              • Feb 2004
              • Eugene, OR
              • BT3000

Check out this thread. Poolhound walks through many of the issues and trade-offs. His solution appears on page 2.

JR
              JR

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                Veteran Member
                • May 2007
                • Tacoma, WA
                • BT3000

Originally posted by JR
                Check out this thread. Poolhound walks through many of the issues and trade-offs. His solution appears on page 2.

JR
                That thread has a post by rnelson0 referencing Wood Magazine issue 190. I happen to have it and apparently that is where I saw the folding table. This shows you what I was trying to say.

The plans show piano hinges, a rather pricey way to do it, personally I would use strap hinges.
                Bill
                Last edited by Mr__Bill; 01-18-2010, 04:54 PM. Reason: another thought

Comment

• gjat
                  • Nov 2005
                  • BT3100

Thank you all! JR found the thread I was thinking of. With all the other ideas, I think I can come up with something I like. Reading through the threads and suggestion, I've got new ideas. The cabinet/drop leaf gives me storage, and I might combine that with a torsion top (or beams like poolhound did). I could use the leaves as-needed, but if I need a larger sturdier surface, could use the torsion beams, but that may make the surface too tall. How thin would be reasonable for a torsion top that would still be relatively sturdy? Should I just use a door as suggested and cover it with mdf?

Comment

• Pappy
                    The Full Monte
                    • Dec 2002
                    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 (x2)

Click on the link in my signature line. There are plans for a breakdown bench designed by Dana G. from the old Ryobi forum. I published them in an album at his request.
                    Last edited by Pappy; 01-18-2010, 09:51 PM.
                    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                    Fools because they have to say something.
                    Plato

Comment

• gjat
                      • Nov 2005
                      • BT3100

Interesting, Pappy. I like the multi-hinged frames that form a box.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2005
                        • Independence, MO, USA.
                        • bt3100

Originally posted by JR

JR
                        The chalkboard idea, I have seen something similar on another forum. The guy used a piece of a outdoor chair for a lock. Post #2:

For hand tool use, I have seriously considered making something like:
                        description and illustration of the use of the Bench Horse, a portable work bench by Blum Tool Company
                        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

i was going to suggest a hollow core door. Its pretty flat and stiff but not real tough in that you can punch a hole through it pretty easy. But it will give you a medium sized flat assembly table for not much money that's light enough to take down and put away if you are careful about how you treat it.

You can mount it to your sawhorses or make a folding stand as one of the posters linked to.
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA
                          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                            Veteran Member
                            • May 2007
                            • Tacoma, WA
                            • BT3000

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                            For hand tool use, I have seriously considered making something like:
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnul7hYbU5w
                            I built a variation of that bench. I use it as an assembly and sanding table. The pipe clamps for a vice work well but are a pain to use and make the table as wide as the clamp is long. In a small or cluttered space that is an expensive trade off. You also have to be able to access the back side of the table to adjust the clamp for more than the travel of the clamp head. Blum sells one that has an clamp that is adjusted for gross movement from under the table, see the chain in pic #3. He discussed the apparatus on the board a while back. It's post #10 in this thread.

Bill
                            over here in the rain and wind

Comment

Working...