X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Garasaki
    • Sep 2006

Garasaki's Half-a-2-Car-Garage Shop Tour

Hi,

I've been meaning to do this for a while. I know a lot of use fight a lack of space problem, and I know I've gotten a lot of inspiration from other members here on clever solutions to maximizing space.

I thought some of y'all might be interested in seeing some of the things I've done which allow me to do a decent job of making sawdust (and containing it) without even having to pull the wifes car out into the driveway!

I organize things by the following rules of thumb:

If I don't plan on using it once a week, it gets put off the floor. Seasonal things get hung up off season.

Space is prioritized like this:

Ceiling space has little value. I hang as much stuff from the ceiling as I can.

Wall space is valuable. It can be maximized thru good organization (some of my wall organization is a WIP).

Floor space is priceless. You have to be special to sit on the floor in my garage.

Full Panorama:

Standing front and center is my Boice Crane bandsaw restoration project. Workbench and drill press on the left, then my mobile BT3k (more on that to follow), mobile tool station with jointer/planer/mortiser (more on that later), and modified HF DC shoved in the corner.

Larger Version of left side, note jig storage on the walls, hanging bike and air filter

Middle portion - looking at the business end of the BT3k mobile workstation (router table on the right, note the different switch (and location) and my crosscut sled in the ready to use position):

Here's the right side. There's a lot of junk that needs "liquidated" in this picture. But note the HF DC configuration - more on that in a sec:

Here's some overhead storage - the garage door rolls up right under this (less then an inch clear between bottom of ladder and storage). Makes it a bit of a pain to get the ladder or anything else on here, but gaining the floorspace was worth it.

Woodstash storage number 1, housing cherry and cedar. I don't keep much on hand, but enough to do little projects:

Woodstash number 2, housing walnut and maple:

HF DC Configuration - I tried to optimize my floor space and increase the performance of the DC. Duct from Thein separator to DC motor is 8". Quick and dirty storage solution for Dustright Hose. Lorings Remote Relay activates the HF DC via X10 remote keypads. (2) 1 micron filter bags hang "upside down" from the ceiling. I had to remove the "neutral vane" from the upper doughnut to keep the top bag from being sucked into the bottom bag.

You can sort of see my mobile miter saw docking station in this one, just to the left of the DC. I rarely use the miter saw.

Some closeups of the Thein Separator Baffle (with inlet connection removed).

I found that the location of the outlet duct relative to the bottom baffle was extremely important when it comes to effectiveness of the baffle in this configuration. There is about an inch between the outlet pipe and the plywood baffle. There is a drywall screw in there (an attempt to give the distance some perspective).

More to come! Hope this serves as an inspiration to some.
    -John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
    -Henry Blake
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

Thanks for the long and detailed post John. We do appreciate it! You, however, are fortunate in your situation.... most of us do not have that high ceiling of yours!
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

I would LOVE to have ceiling height like that. I use what I can of mine, but there's not much room in there...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Garasaki
        • Sep 2006

Erm, does it make you guys feel any better to know I'm 6'2"??

I guess I had never really realized how useful that extra 24" of height is. I actually was quite disappointed when I decided to enclose the ceiling and seal off all that potentially useful storage space above the trusses...
        -John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
        -Henry Blake

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Garasaki
          Erm, does it make you guys feel any better to know I'm 6'2"??

I guess I had never really realized how useful that extra 24" of height is. I actually was quite disappointed when I decided to enclose the ceiling and seal off all that potentially useful storage space above the trusses...
          Nope. I'm 6' 0"... Part of my issue is the canoe hanging from my ceiling...

I totally agree with your approach. I just wish I had the space for something like those storage racks. And a better place to keep my boat! I am really close to just leaving it on my truck!
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• bigstick509
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Macomb, MI, USA.
            • BT3100

Great job of organizing, I especially like the overhead loft storage. I wish I had lowered mine to the clearance you did. Every inch counts.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Garasaki
              • Sep 2006

Yours is definately prettier then mine! I like the lights underneath, thats a good idea.

I have eventually learned that every inch of storage I can squeek out of my garage definately counts!
              -John

-Henry Blake

Comment

Working...