• Show
Clear All
  • pbui3057
    Established Member
    • Jul 2008
    • Mather, CA
    • BT3000

Garage Door Sound and Insulation

I am looking for a way to quiet down my garage door and keep it somewhat insulated. I have an uninsulated rollup door that I want to be able to use so I would think weight would need to be a consideration. I know there is going to be now way to completely enclose the sound but I would just like to quiet it down so I can work at night without HOA or neighbors yelling at me. I read about the reflectix stuff and that sounds like it would work well for insulation but what about noise reduction? Any ideas? Thanks.
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

There is only so much you can do about noise with an overhead door. Too many places for sound waves to get through...

You CAN however reduce the noise.

Foil backed fiberglass batts like the garage door insulation kits that Owens Corning makes (Home Depot carries them) seem to be a pretty good idea. I know fiberglass batt insulation does a great job of deadening sound through walls, why not doors?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• master53yoda
      Established Member
      • Oct 2008
      • Spokane Washington
      • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

I used 1.5" high density foam board (not Styrofoam) glued to each panel it has made a major difference in the temperature and as limited the sound pretty well. The door also has full weathers stripping around it and a floor seal.
      Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

• pbui3057
        Established Member
        • Jul 2008
        • Mather, CA
        • BT3000

I read the reviews of the owens corning stuff and it didn't seem to be too positive. I'll have to look into that.

Where did you get high density foam board? Is that something that HD or Lowe's would carry or would you go to a craft store like Michael's or Joanne's Fabrics?

Comment

• pelligrini
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • Fort Worth, TX
          • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by master53yoda
          I used 1.5" high density foam board (not Styrofoam) glued to each panel it has made a major difference in the temperature and as limited the sound pretty well. The door also has full weathers stripping around it and a floor seal.
          Was that the blue or pink rigid boards?
          Erik

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
            The Full Monte
            • May 2007
            • Sunshine State
            • BT3000

I used the reflective foil/bubble-wrap sandwich... It comes in rolls and was easy to install (a little 2-sided tape here and there). It has an R6.0 rating. I got it at Lowes, and it works remarkably well (I have two double doors, both facing west). It also cut the sound coming out of my garage to the point that you can't hear my equipment running while standing in my front yard in the dead of night unless you really listen for it. It helps that I have double-pane windows on my concrete block garage, though... The roll-up doors were the weak link.

Also of interest are fiberglass rigid boards. One advantage is that you may qualify for a $100-200 federal energy tax credit. That stuff is pricier though, so the savings is not really appreciable. My neighbor has it, and it works fine, but was a bigger PITA to install.

Comment

• master53yoda
              Established Member
              • Oct 2008
              • Spokane Washington
              • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

The board i used was the blue board at lowes. you could also use the kind with the tinfoil on it if you worried about flammability. although the blue board just melts it doesn't really burn.
              Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

• pelligrini
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • Fort Worth, TX
                • Craftsman 21829

We used to use that stuff a lot in school for making study models using a hot knife. It's got some pretty toxic gasses when it melts or burns. The architecture school eventually made us do any hot knife work with it outdoors.

I believe there are a few building codes that deal with that type of insulation, but I've never tried looking them up. It has some pretty decent insulation properties though.

I'll probably be using it to insulate the tilt up roof of a doghouse I've been working on.
                Erik

Comment

Working...