• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

For me, "file" is not the operative word. "Pile" is closer to reality...

Comment

• Chris Bode

Originally posted by HarmsWay
      In binders by manufacturer. I enter everything in a database (update about once a year) to aid searching. The database has everything for the house - not just the shop - but the shop binders are separate. There is also a binder in the shed for tools like mowers, chain saws, weed eaters, etc. The database tells me which binder stuff is in and makes it easier to search. It can also print out tables of contents for the binders for a hard copy version. I also use the database to record information for insurance such as serial numbers, purchase price, etc. I was going to put photos in but I haven't yet.

Bob
      HarmsWay, what database do you use?

Comment

• HarmsWay
        • Nov 2003
        • Victoria, BC
        • BT3000

MS Access because that's what is on the computer.

Comment

• scmhogg
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2003
          • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
          • BT3000

I have mine in four 1" 3 ring binders. Alphabetically by tool type.

I hate the little ones. Each binder, A-F, G-M... Has an 8x10 envelope to hold them.

Steve
          I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• billwmeyer
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Weir, Ks, USA.
            • BT3000

I have a 4 drawer file cabinet in my shop. I use hanging file folders and file by type of tool - large tools, benchtop tools, small tools, cordless tools, etc. I also have the house manuals in a drawer - large appliances, small appliances, HVAC, etc.

I think the main thing is to do it how you think it will work for you. If you want to look under T for tablesaw, under large tools or under Ryobi. The main thing is to do it by how you think of the item. I can pull anything out in a couple of shakes. I also have plans in the lower drawers, sorted by the same method. That way if I am looking for a chair plan I look under seating, etc.

I like the idea of downloading or scanning the manuals. I will do that. I have several downloaded on my computer anyway.

Good Luck!

Bill
            "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• Northerner
              Forum Newbie
              • Jun 2009
              • Vermillion, South Dakota
              • Craftsman 22124

i have a small fedex box that i keep all my manuals in
              its not very organized but they fit in there just right and i keep it under
              my work bench.
              but i also try to find and keep a backup .pdf manual of my machines on
              my computer

Comment

Working...