Simple, functional stand for dust collector.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Simple, functional stand for dust collector.

I had two basic problems to solve.

#1. I needed to straighten up, and shorten up as much as possible, the hose from the separator to the dust collector.
    #2. I need to maximize the utilization of my floor space.

My solution to both problems.

Build a stand to lift the DC off the ground, high enough to straighten the hose out, or as close as possible. Tape measure comes out, and it looks like I have 31 inches between the top of the DC and the ceiling... So the stand was to be 30" tall at the top surface. (29.25" legs, 3/4" top material.)

The material was to be recycled scrap from the shop. No problem. And of course the compressor would slide right under. At 27" high I have 2.25" to spare on the compressor.

Everything fits, moves in and out easily, and functions exceedingly well...

Hope this gives at least one other person an idea for shop space savings....

Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • tbarn
    Established Member
    • Jun 2004
    • PA, USA.
    • BT3100

Nice idea. it is getting me thinking about doing something similar.

thanks,

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

I know it's hokey, and way too simple to be considered real woodworking, but it solved a HUGE problem for me, and I thought i would share it. I do not plan for it here, but when I finally get into the shed, (8' ceilings are planned for there too!) I figure I will rebuild the stand as a baffled box so that the compressor noise won't be so noticeable.

A coworker of mine that isn't into woodworking, but rather a hot rodder (seriously into Mustangs) is doing something similar. He has one of those upright DeWalt compressors that he built a baffled box for, The box is broken into two compartments, one for the comrpessor, the other for his shop vac. The entire thing is right by the garage door so the vac hose reaches his entire garage and driveway...

Anyway, I am glad this at least helped inspire somebody...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

It is a good idea... You may be getting some coloration of your ceiling from extra-fine dust, though.

Your "baffled box" idea for noise control on the compressor is interesting. Remember that some compressor parts get hot, so don't interfere with the cool airflow...

Comment

• Charlie
          Banned
          • Jul 2009

Deleted by me.
          Last edited by Charlie; 11-12-2009, 04:12 PM.

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Pull it down. Cleanings are not a frequently needed task. So far simply tapping the filter down after each use has kept it clean (1 year so far).

What you do not see in the photos are the heavy duty stamped steel L brackets. The dust collector isn't all that heavy, so I am not worried about the stand holding the weight.

I wanted to keep access to the bottom as open as possible. I had considered making some corner braces, and if I see ANY indication of racking, or sagging I am going to brace it. For now it seems to be working fine.

Your concern is legit, and this is honestly, a bit of an experiment. Further bracing may come in the way of a section of L channel aluminum or steel, again for space saving concerns. I am not against the idea of placing spreaders along the back and sides though.
            Last edited by dbhost; 10-26-2009, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Working...