Shop organization for those with tight spaces...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Shop organization for those with tight spaces...

DonHo gave me this idea probably 10 months ago give or take a month... I finally put it to work tonight...

The brackets and rails are the Rubbermaid heavy duty stuff from the BORG, it is screwed directly into the stud with 2" galvanized deck screws. The mount boards are 3/4" ply, with the bolt heads recessed into the bottom so that nothing but plywood touches the workbench when it is put in place... I simply take what I need down, clamp each corner, hook up power and dust collection and go to town with it... Not as involved as the Wood Magazine rack and pegboard system, but a LOT simpler, and more portable.

My reason for going this way instead of the wood magazine / Alex Franke route is the intended shed. This will be MUCH easier to move into the shed once it is up...

I do need to rearrange them though. The sander should be on bottom, the grinder on top with the planer and jointer in the middle. (less distance up and down with the heaviest machines).
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • pacwind3
    Established Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Vancouver, WA
    • Bosch 4100

Looks good, my only suggestion: turn your planer 90 degrees and use it right on the wall. I just finished a tool cabinet and that's what I did. It's mounted to full extension slides in the cabinet and I just pull it out to use it, slide it back when I'm done.

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

Nice use of space. Are you putting those tools on your 36" tall bench or something lower?

When I saw the pic I was wondering "why did he put the jointer on top?".
      Erik

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

The workbench... I know that will place the jointer and sander kind of high, but the universal tool stand the sander was on already had it at 34" before the base...

I am only really concerned with how the jointer is going to work on. If worse comes to worse. I will have to figure something else out... The upcoming shed will not have the current automotive repair toolbox in it, but a MUCH shorter el cheapo Stack On cart a friend is hanging on to for me... The kind with 3 drawers and a big, well door sort of.... I think it stands 30" tall, which is a mere 1" higher than the previous arrangement which worked fine for me.
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Ed62
          The Full Monte
          • Oct 2006
          • NW Indiana
          • BT3K

That's a good way to make use of space.......if your back can handle it.

Ed
          Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• pelligrini
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • Fort Worth, TX
            • Craftsman 21829

You might try to pick up an old Workmate. I used to clamp my old 10" Skill benchsaw and Craftsman router table on my 502. It made for a fairly stable base and it would store easily too. I considered making bases for my benchtools with a wide cleat that would clamp in the workmate jaws.
            Erik

Comment

• headhunter636
              Established Member
              • Jul 2004
              • Federal Way, WA
              • Ryobi BT 3000

I would think setting up the jointer way up there would be a pain, not to mention trying to run a piece of stock through it nice and square.

The house we are renting had a couple of utility cabinets already in the garage, so I put the bench toold inside the larger cabinets. I like your idea, but I don't think I have the wall space for it.
              Dave

BT3000

"98% of all statistics are made up"

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

If I didn't mention it above. The credit for this idea goes to DonHo. He was the first (and only other) example of this I had seen. It was a really slick and easy idea...

Yeah getting the stock into the jointer up there might be a problem...

If I have to clamp the jointer to a shorter stand, I will simply set up the folding / telescoping sawhorses to about 28", and clamp the jointer board to them... Should be plenty sturdy... The sawhorses seem to be pretty stable so far... But I haven't used them much either...
                Last edited by dbhost; 09-30-2009, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Working...