• Show
Clear All
  • yuri
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2008
    • Gaithersburg, MD

110v out of 220v ?

Guys,
    I have a one car garage which is my wood working and hobby shop. It is equipped with usual 110v, but it is not powerful enough to run several tools on that wire simultaneously. It is a big drawback for me. Let say I can not use router or table saw together with my shopvac. Putting additional line from main house panel will cost quite a bit. I poked around and found unused 220v socket in my utility room. That room is adjacent to my garage and it is just matter of making a whole in the wall to get into garage. That line is high amperage as usual, so I though to use it for my power tools. All of my tools are 110v, and since all my work is as a hobby I do not plan to by ones running out of 220v.
    So my question is, can I use 220v to run my regular tools and how to do it? You thoughts?
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

What is the amperage of that 220V circuit? Amperage and voltage are two different things. You can use the 220V by splitting it into 110V circuits but you need to know the amperage first. Find the breaker in your panel that feeds that 220V receptacle and look at the amperage on it.

If you want to repurpose that 220 what I would do is extend that circuit from your utility room to your garage and add a box in the garage that splits it into 2 110V circuits that are separately fused or switched. In my first house I ran 220V @ 30A out to my little shed and added a fuse box that split it into 2 15A circuits. I would also remove the receptacle in your utility room and cover the box with a blank faceplate.

Another potential issue is if that existing 220V circuit is 4 wire or 3 wire. If it is a 3 wire you get into issues with bonded ground/neutrals which is bad.

Another edit. Uncle Cracker's solution is a better one than mine and would be easier to do. It would be the only solution if that 220V line were 3 wire.
    Last edited by crokett; 09-17-2009, 02:27 PM.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

You can probably (and I emphasize probably) convert one of the "hot" lines servicing that 220 outlet into a neutral (by moving it from the breaker to the neutral bar), and change the outlet to a 110 outlet. This would give you an extra 110 circuit into your garage that your tools could run from.

I caution you to avoid step-down transformers, or other devices that would change the 220 in that outlet to 110. You need a neutral for sake of safety, and such a device would not provide one. Remember also that you will be limited by the wire size and distance you already have, and that your 2-pole 220 breaker should be changed out for a single pole unit of proper size for the unit. Also, you should maintain a good ground to your outlet.

Unless you are completely familiar with what I am talking about, you would be better off to leave this work to an electrician. Safety is important.

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

That 220v outlet is two 110v legs. I bet it's the outlet for the dryer and you've got a gas dryer. When I ran the subpanel for my shed I used the breaker spots for my dryer as it was unused as well. I did swap out the existing breaker for some higher amp ones.

You could probably put a subpanel in your garage and use that circuit for the power. That dryer outlet is probably on a 30A breaker. You could do 4 15A circuits for your shop.

*edit* I didn't think about the existing 220v outlet as being 3 wire though.
        Last edited by pelligrini; 09-17-2009, 02:31 PM.
        Erik

Comment

• yuri
          Forum Newbie
          • Jul 2008
          • Gaithersburg, MD

Originally posted by crokett
          What is the amperage of that 220V circuit? Amperage and voltage are two different things. You can use the 220V by splitting it into 110V circuits but you need to know the amperage first. Find the breaker in your panel that feeds that 220V receptacle and look at the amperage on it.

If you want to repurpose that 220 what I would do is extend that circuit from your utility room to your garage and add a box in the garage that splits it into 2 110V circuits that are separately fused or switched. In my first house I ran 220V @ 30A out to my little shed and added a fuse box that split it into 2 15A circuits. I would also remove the receptacle in your utility room and cover the box with a blank faceplate.

Another potential issue is if that existing 220V circuit is 4 wire or 3 wire. If it is a 3 wire you get into issues with bonded ground/neutrals which is bad.

Another edit. Uncle Cracker's solution is a better one than mine and would be easier to do. It would be the only solution if that 220V line were 3 wire.
          David, yes I understand the difference between voltage and amperage. That is standard outlet usually installed in US houses to feed high power devices. In that case it is intended to plug in a dryer. I did not check what is marked on the wires, but they look significantly beefier than wires used for regular outlet.
          Last edited by yuri; 09-17-2009, 02:34 PM. Reason: fixing typing error

Comment

• yuri
            Forum Newbie
            • Jul 2008
            • Gaithersburg, MD

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
            You can probably (and I emphasize probably) convert one of the "hot" lines servicing that 220 outlet into a neutral (by moving it from the breaker to the neutral bar), and change the outlet to a 110 outlet. This would give you an extra 110 circuit into your garage that your tools could run from.

I caution you to avoid step-down transformers, or other devices that would change the 220 in that outlet to 110. You need a neutral for sake of safety, and such a device would not provide one. Remember also that you will be limited by the wire size and distance you already have, and that your 2-pole 220 breaker should be changed out for a single pole unit of proper size for the unit. Also, you should maintain a good ground to your outlet.

Unless you are completely familiar with what I am talking about, you would be better off to leave this work to an electrician. Safety is important.
            No, I am not going to use the transformers. To provide enough oomphs I have to invest not less than hire an electrician to do the right work in first place ;-)

Guys, thanks for the right directions, I will dig it and read electrical stuff to make it in compliance with the codes. Or ... will hire an electrician ;-)

Comment

• master53yoda
              Established Member
              • Oct 2008
              • Spokane Washington
              • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

A dryer outlet is typically 30 amp 220 volt. Newer (post 95) wiring could be 4 wire, does the plug have 3 or 4 prongs. Look at the wire and tell us what size and number of wires.
              Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

• radhak
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2006
                • Miramar, FL
                • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I hired an electrician to add a 240 volt line and outlet in my garage and it cost me a total of $150 total, including material. I think of it as money well spent.

Of course, my main panel is in the garage, ymmv.
                It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                - Aristotle

Comment

• crokett
                  The Full Monte
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Mebane, NC, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by yuri
                  David, yes I understand the difference between voltage and amperage. That is standard outlet usually installed in US houses to feed high power devices. In that case it is intended to plug in a dryer. I did not check what is marked on the wires, but they look significantly beefier than wires used for regular outlet.
                  A dryer will be 30A so #10 wire but you can confirm this by looking at the breaker in your panel. Just make sure the outlet has 4 prongs. If it does, then the ground and neutral are separate and you can use it to feed a subpanel or fuse box. If it only has 3 wires then ground and neutral are bonded and your only choice is Uncle Crackers suggestion which is to move one of the hot legs to the neutral bar back at your panel and turn it into a single 110V circuit.
                  David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• yuri
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Jul 2008
                    • Gaithersburg, MD

Will check the wires and outlet today, once get home. As I remember it has 3 prongs, like 3ray star.

I have main panel in my basement room on the wall opposite to the garage. Running additional wire will require hiding it in the ceiling, will be a lot of work. That's why I thought to save a little with that 220v line.

Comment

• pelligrini
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2007
                      • Fort Worth, TX
                      • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by yuri
                      I have main panel in my basement room on the wall opposite to the garage. Running additional wire will require hiding it in the ceiling, will be a lot of work. That's why I thought to save a little with that 220v line.
                      It might not be too hard though, most of it would depend on what's in the floor; insulation, direction of joists or trusses, etc. If it's not insulated and the joists are running in the right direction fishing a wire could be pretty easy. Just hope they didn't construct it with solid blocking as cross braces.

It'll still be cheaper to use the dryer circuit though.
                      Erik

Comment

• yuri
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Jul 2008
                        • Gaithersburg, MD

Originally posted by pelligrini
                        It might not be too hard though, most of it would depend on what's in the floor; insulation, direction of joists or trusses, etc. If it's not insulated and the joists are running in the right direction fishing a wire could be pretty easy. Just hope they didn't construct it with solid blocking as cross braces.
                        He-he. I have a concrete floor which I finished with engineered hardwood Thus, no option here.

Comment

• yuri
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Jul 2008
                          • Gaithersburg, MD

Interesting, my woodworking started with hardwood!
                          I was replacing all carpet in my townhouse with hardwood (Thanks god no piece of carpet in my house anymore). I bought cheap Craftsman table saw to do the cutting. After that I had the saw sitting in my garage. Occasionally, I used it for insignificant cutting, but nothing serious. One day I was stroked by idea to make tiny peace of furniture and it was a can with worms. I built whole wall entertainment center/bookcasing, corner case and on and on, now I can not stop! I enjoy the work and like the idea to build furniture specifically design for my needs, with right colors, sizes and design. And that keeps my wife happy!

Comment

• yuri
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Jul 2008
                            • Gaithersburg, MD

OK, I checked my 220v outlet. It's 30A 3 wire dryer outlet. Like that one
                            Do I need to switch wires on breaker in main box or I can do something in outlet only? I do not care that much if will get just one 110v line instead of two.

Comment

• master53yoda
                              Established Member
                              • Oct 2008
                              • Spokane Washington
                              • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

You will need to separate the wiring in the panel. You would remove the 30 amp 2 pole breaker in the panel and replace with a single pole 20 amp breaker.

DO NOT USE THE 30 AMP 2 POLE BREAKER IT WILL NOT PROTECT THE NEW WIRE IN THE GARAGE WHICH IS #12........

connect the black wire to the breaker, the white wire that is now on one side of the breaker needs to be removed from the breaker and connected to the neutral bar. You will also need to remove the plug and connect your 110 volt circuit wiring to the garage in the old dryer plug box, then cover with a blank cover.

If you don't understand all the above get an electrician to help.
                              Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

Working...