• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jkristia
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Simi Valley, CA

My garage 'workshop' update

I just want to share a couple of pictures of what I have been working on overthe last couple of weekends. Last weekend I build and painted the cabinet in the corner and last night I finished painting the second half of the garage. Next I will build a clamp rack to hang on the wall and a base/cabinet on casters for the miter saw. Since I have to share the garage with wifes car everything has to be movable... unfortunately. Or maybe I should first install the lights so I can actually work in the evening ... hmmm..

Jesper
    Attached Files
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Install lights first. Everything else will go so much easier. I have been working on my shop at night for the last several weeks and use a halogen work light. The only reason I don't have the lights hung yet is I don't want to take them back down when I finish the ceiling.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Ed62
      The Full Monte
      • Oct 2006
      • NW Indiana
      • BT3K

It would be a shame to park a car in a nice workspace like that. I agree......install the lights first.

Ed
      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• jkristia
        Established Member
        • Jan 2006
        • Simi Valley, CA

Originally posted by Ed62
        It would be a shame to park a car in a nice workspace like that. I agree......install the lights first.

Ed
        ha ha ha - I'm not sure my wife agree with that ... ok, that makes sense, Light is next then.

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Looking good so far. I also agree that the lights should go up first. But take a moment and figure out your layout of tools and work stations while working in the garage to place the lights strategically.

Comment

• pacwind3
            Established Member
            • Nov 2006
            • Vancouver, WA
            • Bosch 4100

I also back up the vote on lights. My three car garage has a whopping three 75 watt bulb in a 12' cealing. Rediculously dim. I only use one bay as my shop: but I've had to put in two 4' fixtures with flourescent, 3 fixtures with compact flourescent and one 250 watt flood; results, still need more light.
            Go lights first, everything else will seem much easier when properly lit.

Comment

• thestinker
              • Oct 2005
              • Fort Worth, TX, USA.

Lights are a must. But like cabinetman says...lights in the right place
              Awww forget trying to fix it!!!! Lets just drink beer

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

I know this may sound like an odd question, but do you have a plan for your shop layout? Where you put your lights will be most effective if you know where you are going to want specific tools. Make sure you have plenty of light over machines that don't lend themselves well to task lighting such as the table saw, router table etc... Machines that are better served by flexible neck task lights should be set up as such if you can. Those are things like the lathe, band saw, drill press etc...
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• jkristia
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2006
                  • Simi Valley, CA

No I dont really have any plan for what goes where. I know the router table is up against the wall, the table saw will be moved into the open area when used, the miter saw stand will be on casters so it can be moved around, but besides from that I dont know yet what goes where. I have added 2 2' florecent lights over workbench (under the shelf) and I think for the rest of the space I will just add 3 or 4 4' light fixtures trying to get an even light and plan it so the light is in front of you and the tool to minimize any shadows. But nothing is decided yet.

Jesper

Comment

Working...