• Show
Clear All
  • Gary Lange
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2008
    • Nixa, Missouri
    • Grizzly 1023SL

Made some changes to the DC System

I made an alcove in the wall behind the Dust Collector which allowed me to set in back further and give to 6" Flexible Duct a straighter shot into the fan. I also installed a remote control for it. On the Table Saw I turned it around so that the outlet faced the other wall and cut the 4" hose down and this gives it a straighter shot into the system. Here are some pictures and I think things will work out pretty good this way.
    This shows the Dust Collector an the alcove along with the Flexible Duct having a smoother shot into the fan.

This shows the Table Saw Turned and the hose getting a shorter and straight shot into the system.

Things are coming along very well now and these little changes make the system work better I think.
    Here are some pictures of the Separator Lid and the Trash Can Connection.

Last edited by Gary Lange; 08-08-2009, 05:08 PM.
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Great idea Gary. Good use of space, and possibly makes that bag easier to get at. Did you ever post pictures of the inside of your separator? I was wondering if you incorporated a baffle.
    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Gary Lange
      Forum Newbie
      • Nov 2008
      • Nixa, Missouri
      • Grizzly 1023SL

Bill I have attached the pictures you asked for.

Comment

• master53yoda
        Established Member
        • Oct 2008
        • Spokane Washington
        • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

You would find a noticeable difference if you ran the piping between the collector and the fan in Hard pipe. Using the flex for elbows as you are is the equivalent of about 250' of straight hard pipe. Iif you ran it in hard pipe it would reduce it to about 75' of straight hard pipe. Straight flex is about 10 ft for every foot your run it compared to hard pipe. a hard pipe elbow is about 20 ft of pipe and a flex elbow is about 75' of pipe. Pipe sizing is normally done in equivalent length calcs.
        Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by master53yoda
          You would find a noticeable difference if you ran the piping between the collector and the fan in Hard pipe. Using the flex for elbows as you are is the equivalent of about 250' of straight hard pipe. Iif you ran it in hard pipe it would reduce it to about 75' of straight hard pipe. Straight flex is about 10 ft for every foot your run it compared to hard pipe. a hard pipe elbow is about 20 ft of pipe and a flex elbow is about 75' of pipe. Pipe sizing is normally done in equivalent length calcs.

This is good to know! I am filing this for when I build my DC in a couple of years at retirement.
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Great update! Too bad you can't side outlet that separator.
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by dbhost
              Great update! Too bad you can't side outlet that separator.
              What do you mean "can't side outlet the separator"? I am making a database of links and picts of things to do when I retire and this is one.

So what does side outlet do? Thanks.
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Gary Lange
                Forum Newbie
                • Nov 2008
                • Nixa, Missouri
                • Grizzly 1023SL

Originally posted by master53yoda
                That is interesting Art! Where did you get the figures for this and where can I find these on the internet.

Comment

• pelligrini
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2007
                  • Fort Worth, TX
                  • Craftsman 21829

That's looking pretty good.

How do you go about emptying the separator? Does the hard pipe hold the top up and in place while you dump the lower can?
                  Erik

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2007
                    • Buena Park, CA
                    • CM 21829

Originally posted by Gary Lange
                    Bill I have attached the pictures you asked for.
                    Thanks Gary. Wow - those are some huge fittings! Looks like you had to drop the baffle to ~10in from the top; I can see why you needed the second can for collection. I thought I was pushing the can capacity on mine using the 3" sewer line fittings.

How's it working for the fine dust? My separator is scrubbing 100% of chips, about 50% visible fine dust - I think the finest just can't get out of suspension and drop down.
                    Last edited by Bill in Buena Park; 08-09-2009, 01:23 AM.
                    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• master53yoda
                      Established Member
                      • Oct 2008
                      • Spokane Washington
                      • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

Originally posted by Gary Lange
                      That is interesting Art! Where did you get the figures for this and where can I find these on the internet.

It took a little bit of manipulating and using a duct calculator, but the information I used comes from the ACCA Manual D duct sizing manual. Take a look at the Ashrae web site it may have the base data. I'll do some looking and see if i can find the info so that it doesn't take quite the manipulation to get there.

If it is something that the group wants I could generate a set of calcs for sizing DC piping.
                      Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

Working...