• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Coming along....

I keep tweaking and refining my shop, first in Sketchup, then in real life...

The current sketchup sketches...

Then in real life...

The small parts bins, and the MLCS router bit case have been "adjusted" in their installation locations to accomodate the next set of shelf brackets. All shelf brackets are screwed directly into the studs using 2.5" deck screws.

Those white boxes under the router bits are the hose, and fittings / blast gates for the dust collection system, at least most of them...

The extended wing table top is sort of in a stand by mode. Junk kept piling up on my saw... So it was obvious to both me and LOML that the storage issue that I am solving with the shelving and the modification to the shop bench tad to take priority. That way I can clear off the saw, and get rid of the old plastic shelves. (They may end up in the attic holding totes of Christmas ornaments).

I need to grab some wall board compound and fill the holes from trial and error fittings, and one very bad moly bolt removal attempt... I also need to get my hands on a 14" x 72" piece of 3/4" ply for a shelf over the small parts bins...

I am feeling pretty good about the progress I am making now. I have a path from the garage door to the entry door of the house, and a clear path to the toolbox and dust collector. Things are improving fast. And to top it all off, I have lost 6lbs in the process!
    Last edited by dbhost; 08-04-2009, 10:43 AM.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • footprintsinconc
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
    • BT3100

wow! your sketchup shop has come a long way. that program is pretty useful. i only see one current picture. the text below seems to hint that there are ohter pics as well.

i've been out of mine for too long now. i have to clean up and organize too. hopefully one of these days.

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

The sketchup shop is certainly a lot cleaner than the real thing.

You might make use of the space above what appears to be an electrical panel & the DC. A shelf or two might fit in there up against the ceiling. I usually put infrequently accessed items in my high storage. (All that junk I really ought to just toss)
      Erik

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Which pic are you seeing? The clamp rack with the bits & bins or the table saw with the extension wing?

I see both...

I have a ways to go with the shop, but the design is coming along at least, and the implementation is moving along quickly now...

I am getting to the point though where I am starting to REALLY think about flamables in the shop, and want something to keep them in OUTSIDE... I do NOT want a shop fire at all, and being an attached garage makes it that much worse...

I am leaning more, and more heavily toward one of those plastic, not quite a shed, but over glorified storage lockers, about 7'x7', and I think they stand 6' tall. Just short enough to hide under the fence so the HOA won't complain... Put it in the far back corner away from anything of value except the fence and I think I will be good to go... Keep the lawn equipment in there, along with the chemicals and finishes... I saw one, I think it was Suncast the other day, had door mounted shelving that was perfect for gallon gas cans, paint cans and such...

I think the only chemicals I want to keep in there now are going to be non toxic, and non flamable. Glues, Latex paint, etc...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by pelligrini
          The sketchup shop is certainly a lot cleaner than the real thing.

You might make use of the space above what appears to be an electrical panel & the DC. A shelf or two might fit in there up against the ceiling. I usually put infrequently accessed items in my high storage. (All that junk I really ought to just toss)
          LOL, yeah, no kidding... I am TRYING to make reality come closer to the Sketchup, but am realistic about it as well. Never going to happen...

That panel isn't there yet, and am not sure it can go there. Talked to an electrician about it, and he thinks so, but wants to see how close that water softener system is to it... And yes, I am planning on a shelf. I got lazy in that corner.... The shelf will go over the panel, the DC, and make an L and go to over the shop vac / Thien trash can separator... And that will be yet another space for specifically seasonal items that don't go in the attic. (A.K.A. camping gear.)

I did notice though, both of the cabinets wouldn't work, toolbox lid couldn't open, bad stuff...

Since the metal cabinets are freebies, and not in my shop yet anyway, and I am considering flamables away from my shop, I may just go with open shelving almost all the way accross...

By the way, Fort Worth isn't THAT far from League City, if you wanna come down and help me clean up....

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Okay a couple more shots of how the design is changing as I think and rethink the layout through...

The first two are with non see through walls to give a better idea of how it might actually look...

Now on to the more or less design.

Comment

• turkeywire
              Forum Newbie
              • Dec 2008
              • Pearland, Tx
              • Old Craftsman contractor (Grandfathers)

DB
              I like what you are doing. I need to start designing and working on mine, but keep holding off as we have the house on the market. Since Iam unemployed and live in Pearland, I could be bribed into coming over to lend a hand.

Comment

• JR
                The Full Monte
                • Feb 2004
                • Eugene, OR
                • BT3000

FWIW - a shelf of any kind above the panel would not be to code. You can't have anything there - no tools, no nuttin'.

When I wired my shop I basically came to the conclusion that I'm going to have to rip it all out if I sell the place. It's wired using good practice, but is decidedly un-code like in oh so many ways.

JR
                JR

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

I knew there was a distance requirement in front of the panel. What of to the sides and over?

Comment

• cabinetman
                    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

Originally posted by dbhost
                    I knew there was a distance requirement in front of the panel. What of to the sides and over?

JR has good advice. Check your local codes to see what the minimums are. Panel problems can escalate very fast. Nice drawings BTW.

Comment

• crokett
                      The Full Monte
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Mebane, NC, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3000

That looks really good. I am jealous of your sketchup skills. In the third pic in your 4 August post there is a black rectangle under the shovel and next to the fire extinguisher. Is that an area for keepout or just something extraneous?
                      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

Working...