• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jkristia
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Simi Valley, CA

Storage rack / miter stand – looking for an idea

I’m looking for some ideas how to get my miter-saw and lumber off the floor. Currently I have the plywood leaning up against the garage door and all scrap wood just laying against the wall, and I do not have a dedicated place / stand for the miter saw, that too is on the floor and each time I need a cut I either cut it on the floor or move the saw on to a couple of saw horses.

So I was thinking of combining a lumber storage rack with a bench for the miter saw, including fence on each side with a t-track for stop blocks.
    Something like this (scroll down to image 7) http://www.rd.com/content/printConte...ntentId=118538 on casters so it can be moved around.

The miter saw ‘insert’ will of course be lowered so the saw top is flush with the bench top.
    Does this make any sense at all, is it practical, or will I just be wasting my time?, has anyone done anything similar ?

Jesper
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I think that's a great design, and if you place your saw on top, you combine both needs.

I'd only allow access to the lumber from front too. The front white panel could just be slats.

And castors would be a needed addition to simplify access to the ply, and to make it easier to rearrange your shop.

Go for it, and tell us how you did!
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle

Comment

• JR
      The Full Monte
      • Feb 2004
      • Eugene, OR
      • BT3000

It's a cool idea!

The shelf will have to be deeper for use with a miter saw.

You'll want to use some pretty heavy duty casters. That's going to be a heavy setup, once it's loaded with lumber.

JR
      JR

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

That is a neat idea. Second the use of good casters too.

If you have enough depth in your space you could also do an open rack on the backside; Mitersaw on lower counter in front, tall sheetgoods in the middle and a rack on the back.
        Erik

Comment

• Tom Clark
          Forum Newbie
          • Jul 2007
          • Deming, NM
          • Powermatic 66 w/48" sliding table

Jesper,

You said you were looking for ideas, so here are a few photos to give you a few more. The combo stand you showed us was pretty good, but at JR said, it is going to be awful heavy, so don't try to use $3 casters on each corner, or you will soon learn what hernias are.

Twenty years ago, I bought a planer but not the optional stand. I try not to have 'machine stands' in my shop, but rather build my own so they all serve double duty. My planer base holds lots of wood scraps.

Miter stands are neat and cost usually around $100. Mine cost one 2x4 and a few scraps of ply. I wanted it to be portable so it could be easily moved to a work site. For one job it was used on the floor quite a bit, but I'm just getting too old for that now a days. You might consider making your wood stand a bit bigger and using a portable miter stand that you can move out of the way when not in use. The last photo shows my wood stand, but no way could it be on casters. It holds lot of sheet goods, with other layers over it for hardwood. Not suited for your purpose, but just shown to give you a few more things to think about. Good luck!
          Attached Files

Comment

• Tom Miller
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2003
            • Twin Cities, MN
            • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Originally posted by jkristia
            Does this make any sense at all, is it practical, or will I just be wasting my time?, has anyone done anything similar ?
            This kind of thing is done all the time. My miter saw stand is essentially a workbench with storage drawers and bins underneath. If you want to store lumber length-wise, you need to figure out your own geometry. My saw is a slider, so it needs all the depth of the bench. If yours doesn't, then you might have room for the 4' tall sheet goods storage on back. But, maybe you don't need to make that as part of the bench. If the bench is mobile, you could just pull it out to access sheetgoods stored against the wall behind it. Then, you're just making a single-height-top mobile stand for your saw, which is a lot more straight forward, and a much more versatile piece of shop furniture.

Regards,
            Tom

Comment

• radhak
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2006
              • Miramar, FL
              • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

As expected, both Toms have great advice; and as Miller said, the plywood stack need not be 'mobile', if it can be accessed when the station moves out. With that in mind, this would be a nice example for you to ponder over :

http://www.woodworkingmatters.com/My..._saw_works.htm

he has addressed dust collection too, very vexatious for miter saws.
              It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
              - Aristotle

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2006
                • On the TARDIS
                • BT 3100

I have combined lumber storage with a mobile stand for my planer. I wheel the planer to the door of the shop when using and the lumber gives added weight for stability.
                From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• jkristia
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2006
                  • Simi Valley, CA

cool, thank you all for you advice, now I have something to think about

Comment

• HauntedBranch
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Feb 2006

If you do a search you will find a version of this miter saw base that Loring (LCHIEN) made and reported on.

Phil

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by HauntedBranch
                      If you do a search you will find a version of this miter saw base that Loring (LCHIEN) made and reported on.

Phil
                      I think he meant this one.
                      http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...=miter+station
                      I have had it for quite a while now and it works great and was really cheap to build.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...