Share your tips and tricks for dealing with small spaces.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rnelson0
    Established Member
    • Feb 2008
    • Midlothian, VA (Richmond)
    • Firestorm FS2500TS

I found a garage sale where some guy was selling dozens of cigar boxes for $1 each. I bought three or four but I should have bought 30. A larger, flatter case is used to hold one of those "30 screwdrivers of all different sizes" sets, another has some electrical components, and another has some "junk" that has no home - odd flanges, a small piece of conduit I use as a counterweight - plus the commonly used items like pencils and crayons for marking. If I only had about 20+ more...

Not only does the box keep the sawdust off, but it smells better

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by rnelson0
      I found a garage sale where some guy was selling dozens of cigar boxes for $1 each. I bought three or four but I should have bought 30. A larger, flatter case is used to hold one of those "30 screwdrivers of all different sizes" sets, another has some electrical components, and another has some "junk" that has no home - odd flanges, a small piece of conduit I use as a counterweight - plus the commonly used items like pencils and crayons for marking. If I only had about 20+ more...

Not only does the box keep the sawdust off, but it smells better
      I have one of those mega packs of screwdrivers I got at Home Depot on sale a couple of years ago. It's a 100 pc set that comes in a zippered bag. It hangs on my peg board. I honestly do NOT remember the last time I bothered unzipping it. The screwdrivers are so unspectacular it's not even funny. I have two other sets, a Stanley 10 pc set and a set of now discontinued Snap On blue handle 8 pc set I used as a pro mechanic years ago. (Linked to the closest similar current set).

I am sketching changes to my current 2x4 / strong tie workbench that will improve storage somewhat. But I am so painfully aware that I have a LONG way to go in organizing...

The biggest problem I have found in cleaning is I have so many little tidbit things that ended up on open shelves or on the workbench that I have no idea where most of my stuff is... I am building and designing storage for this stuff as fast as I can, but I'm only one guy you know? Plus I am trying to help LOML organize and de-bachelor the house...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

I still have a bunch of open shelves in my little shop. I made several stacking treys for the little things & a couple biger ones for router bits & tablesaw accessories. The top two on the left hold quite a few roter bits, the big ones directly below hold featherboards, a couple grippers, pushsticks etc.. The ones on the top right hold an assortment of pegboard hooks and other hanging hooks. Scraper accessories, marking tools & some other little stuff in between the router treys & them. The boxes on the bottom right are full of BT stuff; T-nuts, studs, connection plates, knobs. etc..

The construction was simple. Rounded top edges fit into shallow coves in the bottom edges of the stacking box. I did some with locking miters, and some more with box joints. I've got several other even larger ones that hold scrap hardwood pieces and one for MDF pieces.
        Attached Files
        Erik

Comment

• drumpriest
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
          • Powermatic PM 2000

I am fighting a similar battle in my house, not my shop. The shop is the most organized part of our house, the rest of it is a bit of a nightmare. My wife seems to always buy 1.5 times the stuff we can reasonably store, so it's just piles of junk everywhere, and I cannot provide solutions fast enough. So I sympathize.
          Keith Z. Leonard
          Go Steelers!

Comment

• rnelson0
            Established Member
            • Feb 2008
            • Midlothian, VA (Richmond)
            • Firestorm FS2500TS

I have one of those mega packs of screwdrivers I got at Home Depot on sale a couple of years ago. It's a 100 pc set that comes in a zippered bag. It hangs on my peg board. I honestly do NOT remember the last time I bothered unzipping it. The screwdrivers are so unspectacular it's not even funny.
            True, I mostly do not use them. More like the ones I let my wife or the neighbors borrow. That is where my angle driver is, though, since that does not hang well on pegboard. I really could throw all but two or three of my craftsman set in there and save some room in the pegboard rack.

Comment

Working...