• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Air Line System

Saw this system for running airline. It's a quick connect, and easily moved if desired. A lot less of a hassle than rigid piping.
  • thrytis
    • May 2004
    • Concord, NC, USA.
    • Delta Unisaw

Harbor Freight sells a similar system as well.
    Eric

Comment

• cgallery
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2004
      • Milwaukee, WI
      • BT3K

At first glance I think "leaks." Anyone tried one of these?

Comment

• os1kne
        • Jan 2003
        • Atlanta, GA
        • BT3100

Thanks for the links. I've been considering doing something like this in my garage, but using air hose and copper T's and pipe for the drops. Something else to consider...
        Bill

Comment

• Tom Slick
          Veteran Member
          • May 2005
          • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
          • sears BT3 clone

I've used that type of tubing and push lock connectors quite a bit, they don't leak and are extremely easy to work with.

I wouldn't hesitate to set up a system like that but it could be expensive, more so than copper.
          Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• thrytis
            • May 2004
            • Concord, NC, USA.
            • Delta Unisaw

I've seen a couple people say they've installed them and haven't heard about leaks. I have for black pipe and copper, though i'm sure there are a lot more people who have installed those than the nylon tube system. A comment from an actual user and a link to another can be found at Garage Journal.
            Eric

Comment

• dewi1219
              Established Member
              • Dec 2005
              • Birmingham, AL

Wow, that HF setup looks like a great deal. I have looked at the Garage Pak aluminum setups before, but they were prohibitively expensive. Copper was my next choice, but it would involve a lot of sweating (the copper and me!). The HF kit looks like it would go up in no time.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

We use these type of systems on multi-million dollar robots at work running
                90-100psi. They work great. It's really nice to not be physically confined
                because of rigid tubing like iron pipe. I guess you can think of it like PEX
                tubing for air instead of water. They sell the connectors at McMaster-Carr,
                too.

We usually run 1/8" or 1/4" tubing for most of the system which doesn't
                require high CFM.

I have found, though, that if you need to disconnect the tubing, the tubing
                develops a permanent crimp in the end which will cause leaks when
                reconnected. I usually snip off that little 1/4" to get to some fresh tubing.
                The HF package includes a tubing cutter.

Comment

• cabinetman
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                  We use these type of systems on multi-million dollar robots at work running
                  90-100psi. They work great. It's really nice to not be physically confined
                  because of rigid tubing like iron pipe.

That's what I like about it that it installs easy and can be moved easily.

Comment

• fastfoodkills
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Jan 2008
                    • Saugus, CA
                    • BT3000 bought in Y2K; Replaced w/ Steel City cast iron 3 HP

Thats a great idea. I've been considering the copper pipe now that the prices have finally dropped a little, but sure like the idea of a quick easy install. Will have to plan a project soon that includes containing the compressor noise as well as an airline system. Thanks for sharing this.

Comment

• Tom Slick
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2005
                      • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                      • sears BT3 clone

As an alternative there are push lock fittings for copper if you'd prefer copper but don't want to solder. The push lock fittings are currently used with water lines. It is an expensive option but they available at the local hardware or plumbing store.

Flexible lines for air supply can have issues with sagging which allow water to gather in the sag which is never good. The flexibility of these airlines makes for easy installation but it also makes it easier to make mistakes in system design.
                      A properly set up air supply is always pitched toward the source or towards a drain so the water runs back to a place where you can purge it. Another caveat is to never tap into the bottom of the supply line, your tap should always point up and make a "U" to go down. Following these basic rules can improve compressed air quality significantly and lessen the dependence on filters for "dry" air even in a small shop.
                      Last edited by Tom Slick; 05-10-2009, 12:14 PM.
                      Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• drsung
                        Handtools only
                        • Dec 2007

Anyone try the harbor freight variety of this yet? I am thinking of picking up one on the Harbor Freight New Years day 25% deal.

Comment

• cabinetman
                          • Jun 2006
                          • So. Florida
                          • Delta

Originally posted by drsung
                          Anyone try the harbor freight variety of this yet? I am thinking of picking up one on the Harbor Freight New Years day 25% deal.

Do you have a link for HF?

Comment

• wardprobst
                            • Jan 2006
                            • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
                            • Craftsman 22811

DP
                            www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• cabinetman
                              • Jun 2006
                              • So. Florida
                              • Delta

Thanks for the link. Some of those parts sure do look similar.

Comment

Working...