• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ironhat
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

The folks here at this e-bay store have been reasonable and made better than good (increased quality at a better price) when they ran out of an item that I ordered. Getting older sux and having swivels and locks on all wheels is worth is even if it takes a little more time to save up for them. Stuggling with steering two fixed wheels or only two wheels while lifting is just a thing of the past (and it happened overnight!!!!).
    Blessings,
    Chiz

Comment

• tribalwind
      • Feb 2004
      • long island, ny.

yea those SES brand look to be well-made too.heard from a few people who like them.
      i havent seen any others with the big footbrake pads though. that to me is a real help.

i have other casters from HF and ebay that when you try and lock the wheel,part of the locking tab pushes up into the surface its mounted to,making it impossible to lock/unlock!!!absolute trash.weight capacity is really a non-issue ,even if each only held 50(instead of supposed 350) thats more than i'd ever put on them for a tool/parts cart.all mine have pretty much rolled the same,so for me that just leaves the brake ,build-quality and Price in my considerations.i'm a happy camper with these!
      course i've only had them a week.
      namaste, matthew http://www.tribalwind.com

Comment

• radhak
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • Miramar, FL
        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Matthew, are these from the ebay link in your first post above? I am unable to see the footbrake pads in their pics, maybe you could post some?

once added to the cart, by how much does the height increase - 3 1/2"? I like lower profile, and anything more would be too tall.

they are selling for less than $7 shipped! dunno how it could be cheaper! and your review seems favorable...
        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
        - Aristotle

Comment

• messmaker
          Veteran Member
          • May 2004
          • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
          • Ridgid 2424

I think the Woodcraft model is overkill for most things and almost $75 for a st of 4. That really takes away from the economy of "shopmade". A flip top tool stand usually weighs less than 250 lbs fully loaded. I should think that most any 3" caster would handle that. I agree with the above poster that 4 locking casters is the way to go.
          spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• pelligrini
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • Fort Worth, TX
            • Craftsman 21829

Sometimes it depends on where the cart is going to be used, and what surfaces it will be rolling over. My flip top planer cabinet gets pushed across a 2-1/2" drop (aided with a short ramp block), another slightly uneven seam between a concrete pad and a plywood deck. When the ground is dry enough it will get rolled out into the yard. I put the woodcraft casters on it and I am really glad I did. I tried out some other cheap locking casters from HF on another mobile cart for my drill press. They were pretty wobbly when locked.

I made a cart to hold a bunch of strip lights for our dart association. I skimped and used some swiveling casters from the borg. They were cheap and only single locking. The first time I loaded 18 fluorescent light strips on it and put the extension cord boxes on top I knew the cheap casters was a mistake. They complained profusely when rolled across a linolium floor. I think they were rated for 150lbs. When we had to put it over a door threshold (ADA compliant) I was suprised they didn't fall apart. The last time we set up a tournament I changed them out while the cart was unloaded. I didn't think they would have survived another threshold.
            Erik

Comment

• messmaker
              Veteran Member
              • May 2004
              • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
              • Ridgid 2424

I agree, if it is going over rough terrain or moving heavy loads, more robust casters my be needed. A twenty dollar caster will always work in place of a five dollar one. I suspect I have 6-7 things on casters. If I saved $50 on each set of four, we could be talking about hundreds of dollars.
              spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• tribalwind
                • Feb 2004
                • long island, ny.

Originally posted by radhak
                Matthew, are these from the ebay link in your first post above? I am unable to see the footbrake pads in their pics, maybe you could post some?
                once added to the cart, by how much does the height increase - 3 1/2"? I like lower profile, and anything more would be too tall.
                they are selling for less than $7 shipped! dunno how it could be cheaper! and your review seems favorable...
                yes these are formt he ebay seller(he's an albion sales engineer,works for them)

heres some pics ,and video showing the locking mech..

the wheel itself is 3-1/2" diameter,so it's note even Possible to not be higher than that!
                the finished height is about 4-3/4"
                i too roll things outside in my driveway when it's nice and theres a 1"+\- lip from the garage down to driveway,so i wouldn't want TOO low a profile anyway,but it would be easy to build a little shelf/drawer in that space for storing stuff like a flat-file for uncommonly used items ,especially with my kreg jig maybe i will..
                yea they came out to $6.25 ! as i was on my way up here to post pics,the fedex guy pulled up with my next box of casters!!how's that for timing hah.
                namaste, matthew http://www.tribalwind.com

Comment

Working...