X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tribalwind
    • Feb 2004
    • long island, ny.

casters for tool carts,

i just built 3 of the "flip-top" tool bases, and will also be building 2 more regular rolling carts with drawers,for use as infeed/outfeed support and parts tables. sooo,once again searching for deals on casters~

since theyre small 24x24,and 24x33. i think ill do 2-swivel/total-lock and 2-rigid/no-lock for the flip tops, and maybe the same for tool carts or all 4-swivel with 2 or all locking.

3 or 3.5" is plenty. i found these on ebay

$7 each with the shipping :-\ ,look nice though,the foot-brake looks a lot longer than others,seems like itd be much easier to lock/unlock.
    i couldnt find a matching rigid caster for it though...

any faves out there?
    im oging to need a few for a new mobile base for the BT3 also,
    thats next.
    namaste, matthew http://www.tribalwind.com
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

My faves are the Woodcraft casters. They are pricey, but rock-solid when locked. Most of the others I've encountered at cheaper prices have been anywhere from terrible to just OK...

Your cost for the Ebay casters should be much less than $7 each, as the shipping should combine on a quantity order. Contact the seller and negotiate.

Comment

• WLee
      Forum Newbie
      • Jan 2004
      • Elkhorn, WI, USA.

After dinking around with a couple of different caster arrangements on tool-base/cabinets for years, I went a much simpler route with my latest set of mobile bases; instead of bothering with locking casters, I just went with two "straight" wheels at the back, and big rubber bumpers on the front (bottom).

To move, you just raise the front a bit off of the floor (you're only lifting half of the weight, and since I cut and rounded a "hand-hold" in the extended top surface of the base cabinet lifting is very easy to do) and then I can maneuver the thing around like you would a trailer; since in most cased this is just a straight-out (from the storage position on the wall) and then a straight-in -- it's not a problem.

The fact that there are only the two wheels (and they are not the "spinning" kind) -- combined with the two fixed bumper/feet -- means they are REALLY solid and stable. (And yes, they're flat/level because the wheels are "recessed" and only extend to the same amount as the bumpers.

The think I love about this method is that I NEVER have to monkey around with locking/unlocking casters or anything like that.

------- EDIT...

I plan on doing something similar with the new workbench I am planning on building (probably one of the "drop-leaf" styles, though I haven't decided on the final design yet, still mulling over dimensions and vise placement, etc).

BTW, I can take and upload pics if anyone if significantly enough interested.
      Last edited by WLee; 04-03-2009, 06:00 AM.

Comment

• RAFlorida
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2008
        • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
        • Ryobi BT3000

WLee, please upload some pics.

I'm interested in your design. Sounds like a good idea I can use for my moveable support cart.

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

All swivel casters with locks on 2 make it a lot easier to manuever tools and carts.

For lighter applications, Grizzly sells some red poly casters that are good. For heavier tool bases, I get mine from Darnell-Rose. (Casters.com) Go to the sales rep section and look up Joe Mauro. They can custom make casters to fit your need for about the same price as the better import units that Woodcraft sells. Darnell-Rose casters also carry a 3 year warranty.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• pelligrini
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • Fort Worth, TX
            • Craftsman 21829

I prefer the woodcraft casters too, but I've never tried casters.com.

Using all swivel or swivel & fixed depends slightly on how you want to move the bases. My 18x24 drill press cart had double locking swivels up front and fixed in the back. I swapped out the fixed for another pair of locking swivels because of the way I needed to move the cabinet at times.

I also prefer doing all corners as double locking too. Mainly for pure convenience. I'll just lock two that are the easiet to get to.
            Erik

Comment

• drlien
              Forum Newbie
              • Apr 2005
              • CLEAR LAKE, MN, USA.

I've used the 3" double locking casters from Hartville Tool. I've used them on a rolling workbench and 2 rolling carts I've built. I like them and they seem solid to me. I think they run about $8/each.

Comment

• sweensdv
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • WI
                • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

I ordered on Tuesday and received today two 3" double locking and two 3" fixed casters from Hartville Tool. With the 15% WoodNet discount the four came to $30 delivered to my door. I have to say that I'm very impressed with the quality of these casters. I knew they were not USA made but was pleasantly surprised at how well built they are.

Here's is link to the swivel caster.

Comment

• tribalwind
                  • Feb 2004
                  • long island, ny.

i found a helpful threat on SMC forum, which compares teh hartvilles to the woodcrafts. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=75281
                  the woodcraft sure seem superior ,but are $12 ..on sale from $17!!!!

i think i'll just buy 4 of the ebay ones to test those out, albion caster company seems to be well respected from some comments ive seen.they'd also be same price @$7.50 shipped and are 1/2" larger diameter than either of the others..(3.5") im asking him for pics of the locking mechanism.maybe im getting too ana.l over a couple castersbut i am going to be getting 24 of them !!

Comment

• WLee
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Jan 2004
                    • Elkhorn, WI, USA.

Originally posted by RAFlorida
                    I'm interested in your design. Sounds like a good idea I can use for my moveable support cart.
                    Here you go.

First pic is a detail of the wheels (2" wheels, 2-1/2" total height) and the bumpers (standard hardware store things).

Second pic is the detail showing the "built-in" handle (top is 3/4 Plywood, handle is made by drilling two 3/4" diameter holes 3" apart -- setback 1" from the front edge, and then using appropriate round-over bit to make it a "comfy" handle).

Third pic shows that the top of the "mini" Ryobi bandsaw table ends up perfectly level with the top of the BT3100 (unplanned by me -- it just worked out that way -- serendipity is occasionally friendly to me like that!). And yes, that's a Ryobi 10" Drill Press mounted on a "twin" base in the background.

Fourth pic shows several more "sibling" cabinets; in this case with the mortiser, belt/disc sander, and the old Ryobi Router Table which is also level with the BT3100 top (THAT one I *did* plan, as it was the "prototype" for the new tool base cabinets, only thing I changed was the original had sides/back made from 1/2 plywood, whereas all others have 3/4 plywood sides and back).
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by WLee; 04-04-2009, 05:29 PM.

Comment

• WLee
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Elkhorn, WI, USA.

Note: I also have the whole thing as a solids-model in Alibre CAD, and can easily "publish" a 3D-PDF file (if you have the latest Acrobat for Windows, you *should* be able to manipulate the image, rotate, hide parts, etc through Acrobat w/o needing a specialized CAD viewer).

Problem is that I can't upload it here for general consumption because the file exceed the limit here (not that the file is that big -- around 300Kb, but that's apparently bigger than bt3central allows).

So, if you're interested in the 3D pdf, send me a PM with an email address and I can send it to you privately as an attached file.

Comment

• tribalwind
                        • Feb 2004
                        • long island, ny.

got an email from an albion dealer,
                        can get these for $6.25 a pop shipped.
                        the locking mechanism looks like it engages with 3 teeth and securely..
                        i ordered 12, and will go for 12 more if they work out...

heres a close-up of the wheel lock...
                        Attached Files

Comment

• pelligrini
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2007
                          • Fort Worth, TX
                          • Craftsman 21829

That sounds like a pretty good price for they type of caster. Let us know how they really work out when you get them.
                          Erik

Comment

• tribalwind
                            • Feb 2004
                            • long island, ny.

well they arrived today,i got them on 2 of the 3 fliptop stands now..

i was right about the foot-brake, it's a lot longer than typical ones,easier to hit. BIG plus !... these things lock down tight and rigid. i locked all 4 , shook the heII out of the tool stand, it wouldnt budge,and it's pretty light weight. they can also lock/unlock with mere "Finger Pressure" ,literally,its a nice "click"when engaged..
                            spun around very freely too.(of course the elec cord on floor stopped it dead,as with all my casters!)

have to say, i'm far too excited over locking swivel casters than anyone should ever be,LOL. these are really phenomenal compared to anything else i've had.

i'm ordering 12 more on monday, maybe i can craigslist/ebay all my other casters!

i'll take some pics/video of these if theres interest.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                              The Full Monte
                              • May 2007
                              • Sunshine State
                              • BT3000

Cool! Thanks for the review.

Comment

Working...