• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Nice, that's the way I thought it was working. Not a bad price on that screw either.

That one I have really doesn't lend itself well for that type of application. I'm pretty sure it will be used in a leg vise.
    Erik

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

For those, trying to convert/use and existing thread, THANK Tom Miller:

This forum is devoted to discussions about shop setup, layout and design. Topics here include wiring, wood and tool storage, floorplans, dust collection, and basically all the infrastructural stuff not directly related to specific projects and tools. Pictures of members' shops are welcome and encouraged.
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Tom Miller
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2003
        • Twin Cities, MN
        • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

(This is my third attempt to reply to this thread -- too many work-related interruptions here at, uhhh, work.)

You could use one of the Wiltons as a normal face vise, towards one end of the bench. And, at the opposite end, mount the other as a sort of end vise, but positioned so that a dog in the face of the vise can perform that function of a tail vise (or wagon vise).

That leaves the screw to be used as a leg vise if you wish, but the other two will get you up and running quicker.

My current workbench has a 3-layer MDF top, which has been working well for me. What I'm really missing, though, is the tail vise or wagon vise functionality (it's really just the movable dog I need). I'm thinking of an incremental upgrade, which will be to make the first 6"-8" of bench with ~3" thick hardwood. This strip will contain the dogholes, tail (or wagon) vise, and current face vise. The rest of the bench will be the current MDF.

Regards,
        Tom

Comment

• LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • Off The Back
          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by Tom Miller
          And, at the opposite end, mount the other [Wilton vise] as a sort of end vise, but positioned so that a dog in the face of the vise can perform that function of a tail vise (or wagon vise).
          That's exactly what Chris Schwarz did on the third of the three archaic-design benches he built, the Holtzapffel. He has written more than once, in the magazine and on his blog, how the iron vise in the tail position has worked out far better than he ever would have guessed. If I didn't already have a shiny-new Veritas twin-screw patiently waiting in its box, that's the route I'd go with my Roubo.

I'd forgotten all about your "surface mount tail vise" (in the thread linked to by LR) -- very clever. Does it have much tendency to rotate as you tighten it? Would two dowels, into two dog holes, be better?
          Larry

Comment

• Tom Miller
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2003
            • Twin Cities, MN
            • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Originally posted by LarryG
            I'd forgotten all about your "surface mount tail vise" (in the thread linked to by LR) -- very clever. Does it have much tendency to rotate as you tighten it? Would two dowels, into two dog holes, be better?
            Oh, I didn't even see LinuxRandal's post -- thanks for the "props", LR!

Yeah, I still use that quite a bit, and it works pretty well. Its (slight) tendency to rotate is such that it squares itself up to the workpiece, rather than rotate away -- bonus!

The obvious downsides are 1) not low profile, though you can still get it below your 3/4" stock, and 2) as an add-on, you spend a little time adding/removing it.

It's been a good stop-gap, allowing me to procrastinate doing it right.

Regards,
            Tom

Comment

• RodKirby
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
              • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

I used this WAY back when I didn't have a bench (clamped it to a table). VERY versatile - ZYLISS

I've never felt a need for "permanent" vise...

Click image for larger version

Name:	zyliss1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	784119Click image for larger version

Name:	zyliss2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	784120
              Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

Working...