• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tropicaffair
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2003
    • Gloucester, MA, USA.

Cannister Filter for Dust Collection

I have been looking to upgrade my 2-stage dust collection system with a cartridge filter. Currently when in use I just put the discharge hose out a window. Has anyone seen, read or made one themselves out of readily available shop vac filters?

My current configuration is based around a 650 cfm delta unit I have mounted on the wall with a 30 gallon pre-separator (soon to have a Thien baffle). I thought I read somewhere of stacking maybe three 4" diameter shop vac filters to use as an exhaust filter. The BORG's HEPA filters are close to $30.00 a piece which doesn't make it cost effective compared to ordering one from Wynn, Onieda, or the like. The cheaper 4" filters at the BORG don't have any particle size ratings on the labels so I don't know if they would be an adequate substitute.

Any & all thoughts are welcome.

Thanks,
    Russell
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

I have a request for info in to Wynn on what filter to use / how to adapt one of their filters for one of the cheapo HF portable DCs that has that 30 micron dust pump bag with a 4" port... As soon as I get some feedback from them I will let you know.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Garasaki
      • Sep 2006

You really do need the greatest degree of filtering you possibly can - and I'm sure the cheapo shop vac filters aren't going to get you there. You could probably dig up the performance of those filters, or at least the airflow they are designed for - and apply that to your DC performance to figure out how many filters you would need.

I think the only way you can be cost effective against the Wynn cannisters is to consider using bags. I have thrown around the idea of buying several shaker felt bags and connecting them to a shop built (MDF probably) "plenum", with the DC dischage on one end and the bags on the other. I suppose you could come up with something similar with the shop vac filters in place of the bags - but I still don't think you save much money (and you end up with quite a headache) over the Wynn cannisters. Unless you scored a bunch of the shop vac filters at a screamin deal.

Frankly, for 100 bucks, the cheaper Wynn solutions are really hard to beat IMO price or performance wise.
      -John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
      -Henry Blake

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Their answer in a nutshell is build a plenum and mounting dount to set up one of the Wynn filters. At that point, take your pic as to which one...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• tropicaffair
          Forum Newbie
          • Dec 2003
          • Gloucester, MA, USA.

I suppose I kind of knew it would just be better, simpler and more cost effective than cobbling one together from shop vac filters. I need to get on Wynn's site and see what they have available for my setup. I am envisioning a vertical install with maybe a small container at the bottom of the filter.
          Russell

Comment

• JimD
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Lexington, SC.

I am installing a Wynn filter - the paper $105 one - on my 1hp Delta AP-400 this weekend. I started last night. If the diameter of your bag flange is right for their filter, this can be real easy. The AP-400 is too small so I have to make some "donuts" out of plywood. That creates a good opportunity to use a router circle jig I made but had not tried. I have the two circles that are critical in dimension - they have to fit the id of the bag flanges on the DC - done and will make two more. You could do it with less but I want a 3/4 piece inside to screw into for mounting and I want to put a thiele separator disk on top of the bag to minimize, I hope, what goes to the filter. I haven't taken any pictures yet but probably will this weekend. A pre-separator would be better but also take more time. I ordered 10 extra bags so I will try the disk on top of the bag setup for awhile and decide if there is a round two. If you go to the thiele wepsite, they have a discussion forum which is pretty good. There is a bigger Delta application that is pretty interesting. Delta taking the suction from a hose under the blower creates an opportunity to put a pre-separator barrel on the DC so you do not have to have a larger footprint.

The Wynn filter is not rated a Hepa filter but it is pretty close. For the money, I do not think you can beat it. It arrived about a week after I ordered it and looks fine. Metal top and bottom flange, weatherstripping on the bottom to help seal. Wire mesh on the outside to help protect it from bumps.

Jim

Comment

• rcp612
              Established Member
              • May 2005
              • Mount Vernon, OH, USA.
              • Bosch 4100-09

JimD,,,,I also have the AP-400 so, I'd be real interested to see your setup when complete and hear how it works for you. Thanks.
              Last edited by rcp612; 03-20-2009, 02:24 PM. Reason: Forgot to address
              Do like you always do,,,,,,Get what you always get!!

Comment

• JimD
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Lexington, SC.

Mine is on and works but hasn't gotten used much yet (I am finishing my son's chair and hope to start my daughters bookshelf this weekend). My AP400 does not have a neutral vane or anything so adding a thiele baffle seems like a good idea. I made the baffle of 1/4 plywood, another ring of 3/4 wood the same diameter as the inside of the AP400 openings, and one large ring for the cartridge to mount on. It took a few hours to make it all and fit it together but it was pretty straightforward. Putting the clear bag on took less time but was much more frustrating. The bags are WAY too big for the AP400. I rolled it down at the top and folded it over along the length and got it on but it was a struggle. I regret buying extra bags. I'll probably just empty the one modified bag. Filter itself is great. I have some pictures but haven't moved them from the camera to the computer yet. I will try to get to it but this week is busy with a passion play at church.

Jim

Comment

Working...