HF DC and the Wynn cartridge Filter question?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

HF DC and the Wynn cartridge Filter question?

Just wondering from those that did the conversion. It looks like the Wynn uses some sort of J hooks to hold on from inside the inlet ring. Is that right? Is there any drilling or anything like that required?

And is the poly spun filter worth the extra $$?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • Popeye
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Woodbine, Ga
    • Grizzly 1023SL

I don't know if it's worth it or not but I figured for the slight cost difference I'd go with it. Been at least a year but I can't remember drilling any holes to install it. Pat
    Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• DaveStL
      Established Member
      • Jan 2006
      • St Louis, MO, USA.
      • Jet 10: Xacta RT

Mine had turnbuckles w/ hooks.

Dave

Comment

• Rich P
        Established Member
        • Apr 2003
        • Foresthill, CA, USA.
        • Powermatic 66 (1966 vintage)

I just installed one (the 80/20 paper) this past week and it arrived with 3 turnbuckles to secure it to the bag ring, no drilling required. The "kit" also includes 3 poly bags to replace the lower cloth bag. Works great.

To help avoid large chips hitting (and possibly tearing) the inside of the filter, I also installed a Thien baffle. Since the paper is much less impact resistant than the poly, I figured this would mitigate that problem and reduce filter cleaning frequency, which is why I went with the paper.

As Wynn says on their web site, they are both good filters. You might want to contact them and discuss your environment. They are a very friendly and courteous family operation.
        Don't ever ask a barber if you need a haircut.

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

I am actually trying to talk myself into spending the extra on the spun bond poly filter...

As far as chips and chunks go. I am going to add a Thien Trash Can Cyclone Separator just prior to the DC... This will be in place before the first connection is made to the tools. (I still have the shop vac system working you know....)

I figure next pay period I should have the slack to grab the plumbing and the Wynn filter. From there it is assembly time!
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dkerfoot
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2004
            • Holland, Michigan
            • Craftsman 21829

I chose the paper blend, not because it was a lower cost but because it has a lower (better) micron rating.
            Doug Kerfoot
            "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
            "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
            KeyLlama.com

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

That is actually one of my considerations... .5 micron for the paper blend, 1 micron for the spun bond...

But how do you keep the filter clean / efficient?

Comment

• dkerfoot
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2004
                • Holland, Michigan
                • Craftsman 21829

I use two methods:
                1. Blow it with air from the outside, while banging it with my hand
                2. Don't spend nearly as much time in the shop as I'd like.
                Doug Kerfoot
                "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
                "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                KeyLlama.com

Comment

• LarryG
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2004
                  • Off The Back
                  • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by dbhost
                  I am actually trying to talk myself into spending the extra on the spun bond poly filter...
                  I chose the spun bond polyester. I didn't think the very slight filtering difference was significant (Wynn has some language on its web site to this effect) and I liked the idea of buying a filter that will probably last me a lifetime.

I cut a fair amount of MDF, and if I don't really stay on top of the filter maintenance the dust will pack into the pleats pretty solidly. I clean it by removing it from the DC and running my hand firmly across the pleats, to shake the dust loose. Compressed air and whacking it with my hand on the outside works well for ordinary sawdust, but not for MDF. I'm not sure how well the paper filter would stand up to this over the long haul, but I do know that it doesn't faze the spun bond poly.
                  Larry

Comment

Working...