• Show
Clear All
  • jackellis
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

More Dust Collection

I thought I had my DC piping choices all sorted out until I went over to the local Borg tonight for some 2x6 KD lumber. While there, I found out that a) Home Depot doesn't carry 2x6 KD lumber, b) ABS pipe is only available up to 4 inches and it's not cheap, and c) 6" ducting runs about $1.50 per foot.

The only drawback I can see with steel ducting is that you have to caulk the seams, which might be more trouble than its worth. For 6" waste pipe, looks like I'm going to have to try the plumbing specialty shops.

Does anyone know whether Lowes typically carries what I'm looking for?
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

My Lowes usually only has sewer and drain varieties of pipe up to 4", although they carry pressure-rated PVC (way too expensive) up to 6". Instead of caulking the seams of steel ducting, have you considered a good quality duct tape instead?

Comment

• iceman61
      • Oct 2007
      • West TN
      • Bosch 4100-09

I was thinking the same thing as UC about the tape. There is tape out there that contractors use on HVAC ductwork that has a mastic backing on it & a type of foil on the outside. To get a larger diameter pipe, you might want to try a plumbing supply company.

Comment

• DaveStL
        Established Member
        • Jan 2006
        • St Louis, MO, USA.
        • Jet 10: Xacta RT

6" Waste Pipe

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
        My Lowes usually only has sewer and drain varieties of pipe up to 4"
        In St. Louis, some of the Lowes carry 6" green waste pipe and some do not. They are 10' lengths. Plumbing supply houses have the 14' lengths w/ gaskets in the bells. I bought the pipe and most of the fittings from a supply house, got a quantity discount (I think for 3 sticks) and it was delivered free. There's another place here that sells by the foot, good if your main is short.

Dave

Comment

• master53yoda
          Established Member
          • Oct 2008
          • Spokane Washington
          • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

I use sheet metal for multiple reasons, it is fare easier to put up, is lighter, seals better, can be connected to very easily, and is grounded by default so there is no danger of static sparks. http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=43926 has some pictures and discussion about how to seal metal duscting. Also see the pictures in my response on that thread
          Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

If you are going to use 6" ducting, you will want to find a cheaper supplier than either the Orange or the Blue Borg...

$1.50 / foot is awfully expensive. Check your local Ace Hardware, as well as other vendors. It should be around $.75 / ft.
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...