• Show
Clear All
  • Rich P
    Established Member
    • Apr 2003
    • Foresthill, CA, USA.
    • Powermatic 66 (1966 vintage)

Thien baffle placement question

I'm going to be adding a Wynn filter and a Thien baffle to my HFDC and after searching high and low I can't find any guidance as to the best vertical placement of the baffle inside of the filter/bag holder ring.

I'm pretty sure the 120 degree section is rotated (aligned) so that it begins just before the inlet opening so that the initial incoming air flow travels the full lenght of that section.

Practically all of the pics posted on various completed installations seem to show the baffle at the very bottom of the ring. However, if I look at the separtor design on Phil Thien's site, the baffle is placed tight against the inlet elbow which would imply the baffle in the HFDC should be "higher" up in the ring, perhaps even just below the inlet. However, the Thien setup is for a shop vac with separator, not a 1 stage dust collector.

Higher up would mean a smaller chamber created by the baffle, lower down toward the bottom of the ring a larger one. What that means to performance I have no clue (or perhaps I should say I'm baffled...)

Does anyone have any info or ideas on how this puppy should be located?

Thanks

Rich
    Don't ever ask a barber if you need a haircut.
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

IMHO, and take this as simply my opinion, but the best location for a Thien Baffle is in a trash can separator prior to the impeller so that you can keep the trash out of the impeller, and not have to wrestle with the bag as often...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Rich P
      Established Member
      • Apr 2003
      • Foresthill, CA, USA.

I agree and I'd love to put a separator in place but for now I'm trying to keep the DC mobile and not increase it's footprint. If I have filter clogging frequency issues after that I'll go to plan B (the separator).

Comment

• cgallery
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Milwaukee, WI
        • BT3K

Originally posted by Rich P
        I'm pretty sure the 120 degree section is rotated (aligned) so that it begins just before the inlet opening so that the initial incoming air flow travels the full lenght of that section.
        Exactly.

Practically all of the pics posted on various completed installations seem to show the baffle at the very bottom of the ring. However, if I look at the separtor design on Phil Thien's site, the baffle is placed tight against the inlet elbow which would imply the baffle in the HFDC should be "higher" up in the ring, perhaps even just below the inlet. However, the Thien setup is for a shop vac with separator, not a 1 stage dust collector.
        This distance is less critical. I'd put it half-way between the bottom of the inlet and the bottom of the ring, if that is a convenient location for mounting. If not, adjust up/down a little to find a spot that works well for your installation. But I'd rather not have it perfectly flush with the bottom of the inlet. A little lower would be better.

Comment

• Rich P
          Established Member
          • Apr 2003
          • Foresthill, CA, USA.

Thanks Phil.

Some of the installations with the centered threaded rod would appear to make it fairly easy to dial the location up and down.

Funny how none have tried to utilize the ring post support bolts that penetrate the ing "wall" to mount the baffle. Think I'll give that a try.

Comment

• cgallery
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2004
            • Milwaukee, WI
            • BT3K

Funny how none have tried to utilize the ring post support bolts that penetrate the ing "wall" to mount the baffle. Think I'll give that a try.
            That is a good idea. Saves drilling some holes, and makes it possible to undo the mod w/o any lasting changes.

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

I agree and I'd love to put a separator in place but for now I'm trying to keep the DC mobile and not increase it's footprint. If I have filter clogging frequency issues after that I'll go to plan B (the separator).
              If you do go plan B... You might want to consider moving the motor / impeller by building a frame for it to move it up, sort of like the Delta 50-760 has. You can then mount your separator / trash can underneath that...
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Rich P
                Established Member
                • Apr 2003
                • Foresthill, CA, USA.

I looked at Plan B as you suggest and thought it would be a tight fit. Not sure how large the separator needs to be but the plumbing would be "cozy". I could expand the mobile base but before I go that route thought I would try the one-stage baffle approach. Also, if the DC is mobile not sure about stability with that heavy motor up at the level of the filter/bag ring.

Also we are thinking of moving up to the Sierra foothills later this year where I could have more that 1/2 of a 2 car garage (i.e. a real shop) at which point I'd plumb in a system.

Comment

• tommyt654
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2008

Try this http://www.wynnenv.com/9e300bl_conversion.htm

Comment

• Rich P
                    Established Member
                    • Apr 2003
                    • Foresthill, CA, USA.

Baffle installed...but

Went ahead and installed the baffle using modified angle brackets rather that centered threaded rod or the three posts some other folks have used. Shortened one of the legs of the angle bracket, enlarged the remaining screw hole to fit the bolt from the support leg, bolted it to the collector ring and then bolted the baffle to the angle bracket. (Bolts are M8 in case anyone is interested.)

Fairly easy install and no additional holes in the DC. The bolts which protrude from the inside of the collector pretty much limit how close to the inlet opening the baffle can be placed. Used the idea of a "tab" in the middle of the small diameter on the baffle to fit against the side of the collector and it worked well. There does not appear to be much impact on baffle performance. When you turn the machine on and feed it some stuff, you can see it immediately exit the below the baffle and into the plastic bag...pretty cool.

This mod was done together with the "stovepipe" replacement of the fan to collector hose and the addition of a Wynn 35A canister filter. Looks like the filter was dropped in transit and has some bulging of the external wire cage at the closed end. Can't really tell if the filter material has been breached. Will contact Wynn again today and see what can be done to get a replacement. Wynn said they had switched from UPS to FedEx because of excessive problems like this.

Still running down leaks but noticed that there are some coming from the blower fan housing. There were a couple of smaller ones which had perviously showed up with the felt bag/plastic bag. With the new setup one showed up at the connection between the output flange and the body of the fan housing. Not sure why this happened. I assume some clear silicone caulking would take care of them....does anyone have any experience fixing leaks in the fan housing?
                    Last edited by Rich P; 02-19-2009, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Working...